CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Community Contributions (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-community-contributions/)
-   -   [PyFoam] unknown or ambiguous terminal type x11 (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-community-contributions/135902-unknown-ambiguous-terminal-type-x11.html)

Tobi May 19, 2014 17:56

unknown or ambiguous terminal type x11

Hello everybody,

today I rebuild pyFoam and now I get the following error on my new machine:
Code:

shorty@shorty:~/OpenFOAM/shorty-2.3.x/run/2014/p_rgh$ pyFoamPlotWatcher.py log --with-courant

gnuplot> set terminal x11
                      ^
        line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

gnuplot> set terminal x11 noraise
                      ^

PyFoam WARNING on line 138 of file /home/shorty/software/pyFoam-0.6.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyFoam/LogAnalysis/GeneralLineAnalyzer.py : Problem doing timelines could not convert string to float: 
 PyFoam WARNING on line 138 of file /home/shorty/software/pyFoam-0.6.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyFoam/LogAnalysis/GeneralLineAnalyzer.py : Problem doing timelines could not convert string to float: 

gnuplot> set terminal x11
                      ^

Why is there a converting problem? Do anyone know that kind of error message?

Regards Tobi

alexeym May 20, 2014 01:35

Hi,

I guess it's not a problem with pyFoam but a problem with installed version of gnuplot. Do as it suggests: execute gnuplot, issue "set terminal" command, and look for the terminal name (if it really has x11 terminal type). Maybe you'll need to install gnuplot-X11 package or something similar.

Tobi May 20, 2014 08:47

Hi, I looked into the Gnuplot installation guide and found that what you mentioned.

Have to investigate to gnuplot-x11 package ...

Thanks

rudolf.hellmuth July 27, 2014 16:29

Solved in Debian

I solved this problem in Debian 7 (Wheezy) by installing gnuplot-x11 package.

Code:

#apt-get install gnuplot-x11
It removed gnuplot-nox, which was previously installed.

GerhardHolzinger August 19, 2014 11:38

The same worked also for Ubuntu 14.04.

I had the plain gnuplot package installed and I got the same error messages as Tobi. After installing gnuplot-x11, which removed gnuplot-nox, everything worked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudolf.hellmuth (Post 503342)
I solved this problem in Debian 7 (Wheezy) by installing gnuplot-x11 package.

Code:

#apt-get install gnuplot-x11
It removed gnuplot-nox, which was previously installed.

davibarreira December 2, 2014 08:13

I faced the same problem with PlotRunner and after installing gnuplot-x11 the problem was solved. Now Im trying to do some plotting using regular expressions and the problem reappeared. Im following this tutorial http://openfoamwiki.net/images/7/7a/...icTraining.pdf.

After I run the command pyFoamPlotWatcher.py PyFoamRunner.reactingFoam.logfile --with-all,I get all the graphs, but not the one specified in the regular expression file.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I figured out the problem. It was my regular expression that was not being found in the output file.

Thanks
Code:

Reading regular expression from customRegexp
PyFoam WARNING on line 138 of file /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyFoam/LogAnalysis/GeneralLineAnalyzer.py : Problem doing timelines could not convert string to float:
PyFoam WARNING on line 138 of file /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyFoam/LogAnalysis/GeneralLineAnalyzer.py : Problem doing timelines could not convert string to float: