CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Community Contributions

[flameletFoam] flameletFoam (by Hagen Müller)

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree24Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   June 11, 2016, 06:37
Unhappy
  #41
New Member
 
Qiaoling Wang
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 6
mushtime is on a distinguished road
Dear Foamers,
I have installed flameletFoam and tried to used it.
But nowadays, when I try to use les to simulate the sandia flameD in tutorial , I always get divergent.
I give the groovyB.Cs for the jet velocity profile, and use pre-calculated velocity profile for pilot. The coflow part, I just use fixedValue. But after about 0.01s, the velocity in the radial or circumferential direction is always getting to high. Maybe 100m/s or so. So the time step then getting smaller and smaller.(I use adjustable runtime here. Co=0.2)
Can anybody tell me how to solve this? Thanks a lot.
mushtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 5, 2016, 16:13
Default too small deltaT
  #42
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
elainest is on a distinguished road
Hi Qiaoling,

I have met the similar problem. When I use more cells to set a finer blockMesh, the Co number gets bigger and then the delta T gets smaller. Alos I use adjustable runtime and Co=0.3.

However when I changed the divSchemes default from Gauss linear to Gauss upwind, the delta T is in normal range, but the results seems not so good as use Gauss linear.

Has somebody other advices? Thank you in advance!
elainest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 6, 2016, 09:10
Default
  #43
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 8
Uyan is on a distinguished road
elainest,

Using first order upwind schemes always adds numerical diffusion so it is not a very good choice. Gauss Linear is always prone to give un-physical results and become unstable so it is better to avoid pure central differencing schemes.

Try using a TVD scheme like vanLeer or limitedLinear.
Uyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 6, 2016, 11:14
Default
  #44
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
elainest is on a distinguished road
hi Uyan,

thanks very much for your help!

I tried the both vanLeer and limitedLinear. By vanLeer the delta T still got smaller. By limitedLinear it ran sometimes good sometimes not.

With limitedLinear, also I have tried to change the cellnumber of blocks one by one and finally I found that the problem is by the Jet-block. Because the velocity here is big, if I set here more cells, the delta T gets quickly smaller. However I should set more cells by Jet-block, so that I can get a relative good results.

Now I'm trying to set different cellnumbers by Jet with the limitedLinear 1. I feel it is random to get a good setting that the delta T changes not to be too small. I don't know how I can set the proper cellnumbers directly...

The Attachment is the blockMesh. In the left bottom the long part is the Jet.

Could you help me?

best wishes
elainest
Attached Images
File Type: png blockMesh.png (2.3 KB, 39 views)
elainest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 6, 2016, 17:19
Default
  #45
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 8
Uyan is on a distinguished road
elainest,

I could not run your blockMesh,

But try switching off useScalarDissipation option in combustionProperties.
If simulation run unstable this option sometimes helps.
Uyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 9, 2016, 19:01
Default
  #46
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
elainest is on a distinguished road
Hi Uyan,

sorry for the late reply. Recently I have tried to run the simulation with useScalarDissipation off, it ran with fast all different cell numbers that I have set. But the results are not good...
elainest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 1, 2016, 08:52
Default
  #47
New Member
 
Mr.liu
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 9
lx882211 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyan View Post
I am using openfoam-2.3.x [ on ubuntu 1.204] and i tried to install flameletFoam. when i try to compile OpenFOAM

i get an error about cycilcAMILduInterface

Code:
finiteVolume/lnInclude/cyclicAMIFvPatch.H:39:35: fatal error: cyclicAMILduInterface.H: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/flameletFoamPost.o] Error 1

Has anyone come across something like that and solved it?
Hi,
I meet the same error, said "cyclicAMILduInterface.H: No such file or directory", could u please tell me how to deal with it? Thank you
lx882211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 14, 2016, 15:07
Default problem with flamletfoam installation
  #48
Member
 
Sadegh Ebadi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
omid20110 is on a distinguished road
Hello everybody

When I was typing "make" to my terminal, I get an error:

Code:
nf@NF-VPC:~/cantera-2.0.0/Cantera-CounterflowFlame/src$ make g++ flamelet.o StFlow_2.o TransportFactory_2.o Lewis1Transport.o -lf2c -pthread -L/opt/cantera/lib -lcantera -lctmath -lexecstream -lsundials_cvodes -lsundials_ida -lsundials_nvecserial -L/opt/cantera/lib -lctlapack -lctblas -lctf2c -lblas -llapack -o flamelet /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lf2c /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lctlapack /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lctblas collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [flamelet] Fehler 1

Because of this error, there is also no executable flamelet file in the main folder.


Could you please help me?


Thanks a lot

Last edited by omid20110; August 15, 2016 at 02:08.
omid20110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 15, 2016, 08:25
Default
  #49
Senior Member
 
Hassan Kassem
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 239
Rep Power: 14
hk318i is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by omid20110 View Post
Hello everybody

When I was typing "make" to my terminal, I get an error:

Code:
nf@NF-VPC:~/cantera-2.0.0/Cantera-CounterflowFlame/src$ make g++ flamelet.o StFlow_2.o TransportFactory_2.o Lewis1Transport.o -lf2c -pthread -L/opt/cantera/lib -lcantera -lctmath -lexecstream -lsundials_cvodes -lsundials_ida -lsundials_nvecserial -L/opt/cantera/lib -lctlapack -lctblas -lctf2c -lblas -llapack -o flamelet /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lf2c /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lctlapack /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lctblas collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [flamelet] Fehler 1

Because of this error, there is also no executable flamelet file in the main folder.


Could you please help me?


Thanks a lot


I think this problem related to this comment

Quote:
Problems that might occur:
  • cannot find -lctlapack or cannot find -lctblas -> reinstall Cantera 2.0.0 adding the option single_library=yes
  • cannot find -lf2c -> Install the package libf2c2-dev
Have you tried to install these packages?
omid20110 likes this.
__________________
@HIKassem | HassanKassem.me
hk318i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 17, 2016, 08:30
Default
  #50
Member
 
Hagen Müller
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 11
Hagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx882211 View Post
Hi,
I meet the same error, said "cyclicAMILduInterface.H: No such file or directory", could u please tell me how to deal with it? Thank you
This issue should have been solved with the commit from April 2015 (see post #14 and #15). Are you sure you have an up-to-date version of flameletFoam-2.3.x?
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 18, 2016, 07:09
Default
  #51
Member
 
Sadegh Ebadi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
omid20110 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk318i View Post
I think this problem related to this comment



Have you tried to install these packages?
Thanks, yes it solved the problem.

Last edited by omid20110; August 19, 2016 at 16:32.
omid20110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 31, 2016, 06:52
Default
  #52
Member
 
Sadegh Ebadi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
omid20110 is on a distinguished road
Dear Hagen
Thanks for your efforts in developing such a solver.
Could you please say that how does it work? Somehow I am confused with it.
I have some questions about it:
1-In constant folder what is the tableproperties file for? what are the numbers 13, 10, 113 and how should we define them?
2-what is the tables folder for?and how should I create tables for my 2D problem?
3-I think the purpose of Cantera and Chemkin are the same then why you had used both of them?
4-I want to use reduced mechanism for example instead of grimech3, how should I do this?

Best regards
Omid,
shuige likes this.

Last edited by omid20110; September 1, 2016 at 09:50.
omid20110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2016, 10:36
Default
  #53
Member
 
Hagen Müller
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 11
Hagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by omid20110 View Post
Dear Hagen
Thanks for your efforts in developing such a solver.
Could you please say that how does it work? Somehow I am confused with it.
I have some questions about it:
1-In constant folder what is the tableproperties file for? what are the numbers 13, 10, 113 and how should we define them?
2-what is the tables folder for?and how should I create tables for my 2D problem?
3-I think the purpose of Cantera and Chemkin are the same then why you had used both of them?
4-I want to use reduced mechanism for example instead of grimech3, how should I do this?

Best regards
Omid,
Dear Omid,

1: In the dictionary tableProperties you can define various properties of your tables like the parameter space you want to use for scalar dissipation, mixture fraction variance and mixture fraction. The size of the parameter space are the numbers you are referring to. Please check section 3.2 on the wiki page where the entries in tableProperties are explained.

2: In the tables folder you'll find some example table which have been created with the cantera solver that comes with the package. To generate tables you can follow section 3.1 on the wiki page.

3: Chemkin is not used.

4: To use mechanisms other than the GRI and the O'Connaire mechanism you need to provide them in the right format and make them available for the cantera solver. You can do this by selecting your mechanism file in the input.txt file. The package comes with two example setups where you'll see how it is done.

Regards, Hagen
omid20110 and thalhah90 like this.
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 23, 2016, 22:33
Default
  #54
Member
 
Sadegh Ebadi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
omid20110 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Dear Omid,

1: In the dictionary tableProperties you can define various properties of your tables like the parameter space you want to use for scalar dissipation, mixture fraction variance and mixture fraction. The size of the parameter space are the numbers you are referring to. Please check section 3.2 on the wiki page where the entries in tableProperties are explained.

2: In the tables folder you'll find some example table which have been created with the cantera solver that comes with the package. To generate tables you can follow section 3.1 on the wiki page.

3: Chemkin is not used.

4: To use mechanisms other than the GRI and the O'Connaire mechanism you need to provide them in the right format and make them available for the cantera solver. You can do this by selecting your mechanism file in the input.txt file. The package comes with two example setups where you'll see how it is done.

Regards, Hagen
Thanks for your help, please help me more:
1- what are the numbers 0, 10, 30, etc. refer to in the tables folder(Table_0.csv, Table_10.csv, Table_30.csv etc.)?
2-If you hadn't used Chemkin, then what is the chemkin folder for?How can I use chemkin files?
3-What are the values in front of each specie in the canteratables?and how does the temperature range in the tables determined (it starts from 294 increase up to a peak then decrease to 294)?
4-As I know the input file provided in Cantera is for a 1D problem, how can I generate cantera tables for 2D & 3D problems?
omid20110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 13, 2016, 03:01
Default
  #55
Member
 
Hagen Müller
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 11
Hagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by omid20110 View Post
Thanks for your help, please help me more:
1- what are the numbers 0, 10, 30, etc. refer to in the tables folder(Table_0.csv, Table_10.csv, Table_30.csv etc.)?
2-If you hadn't used Chemkin, then what is the chemkin folder for?How can I use chemkin files?
3-What are the values in front of each specie in the canteratables?and how does the temperature range in the tables determined (it starts from 294 increase up to a peak then decrease to 294)?
4-As I know the input file provided in Cantera is for a 1D problem, how can I generate cantera tables for 2D & 3D problems?
Hi Omid,

1: The numbers denote the scalar dissipation rate of the flamelet solution that is stored in the table.
2: OpenFOAM can read mechanisms and thermo data in chemkin format. These input files are stored in the chemkin folder.
3: The temperature (and all other quantities in the table) is a result of the flamelet calculation. The boundary conditions, for instance the temperature at the inlets (294 K), are specified in the input.txt file.
4: Cantera is used for the flamelet calculation, which is a 1D problem. The resulting tables are then used for the 2D or 3D CFD simulation.

Hope this helps.
Hagen
omid20110 likes this.
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 7, 2017, 11:13
Default about flameletFoam
  #56
New Member
 
Faezeh
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 10
faeze.d is on a distinguished road
Dear Hagen
I have some questions and need your help for flameletFoam solver.
1-first of all, in the wiki page it is mentioned that " using input.txt and solution, start the run and repeat this process until the extintion limit is reached". this means that there is no way to determine the mass flow rate and domain length criteria for creating the tables?

2-the next question is about the scalar dissipation rate. i'm going to create flamelets for DLR-A flame (fuel= 0.221ch4+ 0.332h2+ 0.44699n2+ 0.00001Ar). again in the wiki page it is said that " in the canteraTables folder, the file name includes the scalar dissipation rate of the solution" and that "the scalar list chi-param defines the scalar dissipation rates thar are used. a table has to exist for each entry". in the tutorial, the entries of the tableProperties dictionary for chi are 0,10,30,100,150,....
my tables name includes numbers such as 0.2686, 0.3951, ...,8.8652, ...,17.1549, 18.3725, ..., 36.6169, 39.0475, etc. for mass flow rates between 0.8 to 16. Do these numbers for scalar dissipation rate make sense? if yes, this means that now i should replace these numbers in tableProperties dictionary?

thank you in advanced for your help.
faeze.d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 2, 2017, 13:56
Default
  #57
Member
 
Hagen Müller
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 11
Hagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeze.d View Post
Dear Hagen
I have some questions and need your help for flameletFoam solver.
1-first of all, in the wiki page it is mentioned that " using input.txt and solution, start the run and repeat this process until the extintion limit is reached". this means that there is no way to determine the mass flow rate and domain length criteria for creating the tables?

2-the next question is about the scalar dissipation rate. i'm going to create flamelets for DLR-A flame (fuel= 0.221ch4+ 0.332h2+ 0.44699n2+ 0.00001Ar). again in the wiki page it is said that " in the canteraTables folder, the file name includes the scalar dissipation rate of the solution" and that "the scalar list chi-param defines the scalar dissipation rates thar are used. a table has to exist for each entry". in the tutorial, the entries of the tableProperties dictionary for chi are 0,10,30,100,150,....
my tables name includes numbers such as 0.2686, 0.3951, ...,8.8652, ...,17.1549, 18.3725, ..., 36.6169, 39.0475, etc. for mass flow rates between 0.8 to 16. Do these numbers for scalar dissipation rate make sense? if yes, this means that now i should replace these numbers in tableProperties dictionary?

thank you in advanced for your help.
Dear Faezeh,

1) In the input.txt you can define the mass flow rate for both inlets and the domain length. The strain rate and the scalar dissipation rate is then a result of the computation and will depend on these two parameters. You can stepwise decrease the domain length and increase the mass flow to generate tables at higher dissipation rates until the extinction limit is reached.

2) When you generate tables at other scalar dissipation rates (0.2686, 0.3951 etc. in your case), you just need to modify the tableProperties dictionary accordingly to use them.

Hope this helps!

Best, Hagen
dokeun and faeze.d like this.
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 14, 2017, 03:16
Default
  #58
Member
 
Mukesh Adlak
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 6
Adlak is on a distinguished road
hi everyone,

I want to use reaction progress variable in place of scalar dissipation rate for non-premixed combustion in flameletfoam. Can anyone suggest me how to do that???

Thanks
Adlak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 9, 2017, 04:17
Default flamelet for OF v5
  #59
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 6
MJavad is on a distinguished road
Hi Formers
I d like to start with flamelet but mu OF is versio5 . Do you know if I can apply those code for flamelet developed for v3.x ?
MJavad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 23, 2017, 12:27
Question cantera-couterflame solver coding structure
  #60
New Member
 
Yiran Chen
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 7
chenyr10 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone!

I am looking at the flamelet generator code as I need to add the heat loss term in flamelet table.

I am quite confused by the code structure especially for the governing equation part.

The flame is solved by flame.solve and the governing equation is in AxiStagnFlow::eval.

I don't understand why flame (belong to Sim1D class) can call the function from AxiStagnFlow class.

Is there anyone can give me some explanation? Thanks
chenyr10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[flameletFoam] new flameletFoam for OpenFoam-2.3.0 Likun OpenFOAM Community Contributions 25 April 10, 2017 03:05
[flameletFoam] Issue: Installation of flameletfoam Raghuveera OpenFOAM Community Contributions 2 April 12, 2016 22:59
FlameletFoam tables and OpenFOAM-2.3.x Look-Up-Tables Sermengi OpenFOAM 2 December 19, 2014 06:10
flameletFoam for mutiphase Combustion wenxu OpenFOAM 0 December 10, 2014 08:14
data on flow Hagen Poisseuis kostas FLUENT 0 August 6, 2003 17:37


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:43.