CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Community Contributions

[PyFoam] PyFoam 0.6.9 wrong path to gnuplot

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   March 2, 2018, 18:53
Default PyFoam 0.6.9 wrong path to gnuplot
  #1
Senior Member
 
Klaus
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 18
klausb will become famous soon enough
Hi,

I installed PyFoam 0.6.9 using pip. Problem is, the path to the gnuplot installation is wrong hence the residual plot cannot be displayed.

I get the following error message:

Expected X11 driver: /usr/lib64/gnuplot/gnuplot/5.2/gnuplot_x11
Exec failed: No such file or directory
See 'help x11' for more details
Expected X11 driver: /usr/lib64/gnuplot/gnuplot/5.2/gnuplot_x11
Exec failed: No such file or directory
See 'help x11' for more details

I tested both programs and both work fine independently.

I also checked an older Ubuntu installation and in both cases, Ubuntu and my new Linux installation, gnuplot is installed in the /usr/bin /usr/share/gnuplot /usr/share/gnuplot/5.2 or /usr/lib/gnuplot directories.

How/Where can I adjust the path to gnuplot in PyFoam 0.6.9?

The workaround I tried is:

1: Create the expected folder structure /usr/lib64/gnuplot/gnuplot/5.2/gnuplot_x11
2: Create a symbolic link to gluplot
3: Now I had to create SSL certificates

And got the following errors:


gnuplot> BSR
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR

gnuplot> BSR
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
^
^
line 0: line 0: invalid commandinvalid command



line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
^
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR
line 0: invalid commandline 0:

invalid command


gnuplot> BSR

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0:
gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
invalid command


gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR
^
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> npyFoam: Bounded variables

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command

^

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command ^


line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> BSR
line 0: invalid command

^
^

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command line 0:

invalid command^



gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0:
gnuplot> npyFoam: Continuity
invalid command

^

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command

^

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command

^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> npyFoam: Residuals
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command

Any idea how to fix this?

Klaus

Last edited by klausb; March 3, 2018 at 12:18.
klausb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 6, 2018, 19:23
Default
  #2
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,197
Rep Power: 47
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausb View Post
Hi,

I installed PyFoam 0.6.9 using pip. Problem is, the path to the gnuplot installation is wrong hence the residual plot cannot be displayed.

I get the following error message:

Expected X11 driver: /usr/lib64/gnuplot/gnuplot/5.2/gnuplot_x11
Exec failed: No such file or directory
See 'help x11' for more details
Expected X11 driver: /usr/lib64/gnuplot/gnuplot/5.2/gnuplot_x11
Exec failed: No such file or directory
See 'help x11' for more details

I tested both programs and both work fine independently.

I also checked an older Ubuntu installation and in both cases, Ubuntu and my new Linux installation, gnuplot is installed in the /usr/bin /usr/share/gnuplot /usr/share/gnuplot/5.2 or /usr/lib/gnuplot directories.

How/Where can I adjust the path to gnuplot in PyFoam 0.6.9?

The workaround I tried is:

1: Create the expected folder structure /usr/lib64/gnuplot/gnuplot/5.2/gnuplot_x11
2: Create a symbolic link to gluplot
3: Now I had to create SSL certificates

And got the following errors:


gnuplot> BSR
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR

gnuplot> BSR
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
^
^
line 0: line 0: invalid commandinvalid command



line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
^
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR
line 0: invalid commandline 0:

invalid command


gnuplot> BSR

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0:
gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
invalid command


gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR
^
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> npyFoam: Bounded variables

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command

^

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command ^


line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1

gnuplot> BSR
line 0: invalid command

^
^

gnuplot> X 0 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command line 0:

invalid command^



gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> BSR
^
^
line 0: invalid command

line 0:
gnuplot> npyFoam: Continuity
invalid command

^

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command

^

gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
line 0: invalid command

^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> npyFoam: Residuals
^
line 0: invalid command


gnuplot> X -1 1 1 -1 -1
^
line 0: invalid command

Any idea how to fix this?

Klaus
The Gnuplot-library that is installed with PyFoam uses the first gnuplot-command it finds in the PATH (check with "which gnuplot")

Which Linux are you using (you stated that your "old" installation was an Ubuntu. The current is just called "new Linux")

One frequent problem is that some distros have a generic gnuplot-package that can do no graphics. For plotting windows another package gnuplot-x11 (or similar) is needed. Check if that is the problem in you case
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 8, 2018, 07:52
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
Klaus
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 18
klausb will become famous soon enough
which gnuplot gives me:

/usr/bin/gluplot

When I start gnuplot, gnuplot> plot sin(x) shows the expected graph on screen.

When I use "gnuplot as a function" and enter: gnuplot '-p -e sin(x)' directly in the terminal, the parameter -p is required to get the same result. Without -p, the graph is just showing up for a fraction of a second.

Terminal type is 'wxt'
klausb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 14, 2018, 07:35
Default
  #4
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,197
Rep Power: 47
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausb View Post
which gnuplot gives me:

/usr/bin/gluplot

When I start gnuplot, gnuplot> plot sin(x) shows the expected graph on screen.

When I use "gnuplot as a function" and enter: gnuplot '-p -e sin(x)' directly in the terminal, the parameter -p is required to get the same result. Without -p, the graph is just showing up for a fraction of a second.

Terminal type is 'wxt'
By default PyFoam uses the x11-terminal and if that is not there it's got a problem. But you could try to add the option --gnuplot-terminal=wxt
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 15, 2018, 10:01
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
Klaus
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 18
klausb will become famous soon enough
I am using the option: --gnuplot-terminal=wxt

The plot starts but the gnuplot errors in the logfile remain.
klausb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 15, 2018, 14:28
Default
  #6
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,197
Rep Power: 47
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausb View Post
I am using the option: --gnuplot-terminal=wxt

The plot starts but the gnuplot errors in the logfile remain.
The "BSR"-errors? No idea. Don't get them with wxt (and without too)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem during mpi in server: expected Scalar, found on line 0 the word 'nan' muth OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 3 August 27, 2018 04:18
udf error srihari FLUENT 1 October 31, 2016 14:18
meshing of a compound volume in GMSH shawn3531 OpenFOAM 4 March 12, 2015 10:45
OpenFOAM on MinGW crosscompiler hosted on Linux allenzhao OpenFOAM Installation 127 January 30, 2009 19:08
One critical error while compiling lam711 billpeace OpenFOAM Installation 0 October 30, 2006 04:41


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:47.