CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Community Contributions

[Other] Laminar simpelFOAM in Openfoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   August 28, 2018, 16:19
Default Laminar simpelFOAM in Openfoam
  #1
New Member
 
Ishan Anjikar
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 5
ianjikar is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I am trying to run a laminar simpleFoam simulation, but the simulation stops after running for the first time step. I get something like this when running the simulation:


Timestep 1
<runs simulation>

Timestep 2


Simulation STOPS without error



I have set the following in the turbulenceProperties file
/*--------------------------------*- C++ -*----------------------------------*\
| ========= | |
| \\ / F ield | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox |
| \\ / O peration | Version: plus |
| \\ / A nd | Web: www.OpenFOAM.com |
| \\/ M anipulation | |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
FoamFile
{
version 2.0;
format ascii;
class dictionary;
location "constant";
object turbulenceProperties;
}
// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //

simulationType laminar;

// ************************************************** *********************** //



and my controlDict setting are as follows:
application simpleFoam;
startFrom latestTime;
startTime 0;
stopAt endTime;
endTime 1;
deltaT 0.001;
writeControl timeStep;
writeInterval 1;
purgeWrite 0;
writeFormat ascii;
writePrecision 7;
writeCompression off;
timeFormat general;
timePrecision 6;
runTimeModifiable true;
adjustTimeStep yes;
maxCo 0.5;
maxalphaCo 0.5;
maxDeltaT 1;




Please help me to solve this problem.
ianjikar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 29, 2018, 06:07
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Tom Fahner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Breda, Netherlands
Posts: 571
Rep Power: 28
tomf will become famous soon enoughtomf will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to tomf Send a message via Skype™ to tomf
Quote:
Code:
application simpleFoam;
startFrom latestTime;
startTime 0;
stopAt endTime;
endTime 1;
deltaT 0.001;
writeControl timeStep;
writeInterval 1;
purgeWrite 0;
writeFormat ascii;
writePrecision 7;
writeCompression off;
timeFormat general;
timePrecision 6;
runTimeModifiable true;
adjustTimeStep	yes;
maxCo	0.5;
maxalphaCo	0.5;
maxDeltaT	1;
I am not entirely sure if your deltaT of 0.001 show up, but for simpleFoam I would suggest to use deltaT of 1. You also do not need adjusting of the time step. I suggest using this:

Code:
application           simpleFoam;
startFrom             latestTime;
startTime             0;
stopAt                endTime;
endTime               1000;
deltaT                1;
writeControl          timeStep;
writeInterval         100;
purgeWrite            0;
writeFormat           ascii;
writePrecision        7;
writeCompression      off;
timeFormat            general;
timePrecision         6;
runTimeModifiable     true;
Regards,
Tom
tomf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 30, 2018, 11:26
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Ishan Anjikar
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 5
ianjikar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf View Post
I am not entirely sure if your deltaT of 0.001 show up, but for simpleFoam I would suggest to use deltaT of 1. You also do not need adjusting of the time step. I suggest using this:

Code:
application           simpleFoam;
startFrom             latestTime;
startTime             0;
stopAt                endTime;
endTime               1000;
deltaT                1;
writeControl          timeStep;
writeInterval         100;
purgeWrite            0;
writeFormat           ascii;
writePrecision        7;
writeCompression      off;
timeFormat            general;
timePrecision         6;
runTimeModifiable     true;
Regards,
Tom
Thank you for your reply, sir. I tried using the settings you mentioned and i am getting the same results:

Create time

Create mesh for time = 0


SIMPLE: convergence criteria
field p tolerance 0.01
field U tolerance 0.001

Reading field p

Reading field U

Reading/calculating face flux field phi

Selecting incompressible transport model Newtonian
Selecting turbulence model type laminar
Selecting laminar stress model Stokes
No MRF models present

No finite volume options present


Starting time loop

Time = 1

smoothSolver: Solving for Ux, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0005283607, No Iterations 1000
smoothSolver: Solving for Uy, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0002620547, No Iterations 1000
smoothSolver: Solving for Uz, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.01638241, No Iterations 1000
GAMG: Solving for p, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.3576139, No Iterations 1
time step continuity errors : sum local = 79.94304, global = -51.76968, cumulative = -51.76968
ExecutionTime = 2254.25 s ClockTime = 2256 s

Time = 2
ianjikar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 31, 2018, 04:35
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Tom Fahner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Breda, Netherlands
Posts: 571
Rep Power: 28
tomf will become famous soon enoughtomf will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to tomf Send a message via Skype™ to tomf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjikar View Post
Starting time loop

Time = 1

smoothSolver: Solving for Ux, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0005283607, No Iterations 1000
smoothSolver: Solving for Uy, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0002620547, No Iterations 1000
smoothSolver: Solving for Uz, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.01638241, No Iterations 1000
GAMG: Solving for p, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.3576139, No Iterations 1
time step continuity errors : sum local = 79.94304, global = -51.76968, cumulative = -51.76968
ExecutionTime = 2254.25 s ClockTime = 2256 s

Time = 2
This tells me something is wrong in your setup. You should not need 1000 iterations for U. Also you probably need more iterations for p. I guess you should check mesh quality, boundary conditions, but specifically the settings in fvSolution and then compare to some of the tutorials.

Regards,
Tom
tomf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 31, 2018, 12:29
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Ishan Anjikar
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 5
ianjikar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf View Post
This tells me something is wrong in your setup. You should not need 1000 iterations for U. Also you probably need more iterations for p. I guess you should check mesh quality, boundary conditions, but specifically the settings in fvSolution and then compare to some of the tutorials.

Regards,
Tom
Thank you for your help Tom. I will look into the settings.
ianjikar is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
laminar, openfoam, simplefoam

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenFOAM 5.0 Released CFDFoundation OpenFOAM Announcements from OpenFOAM Foundation 11 June 5, 2018 23:48
How to contribute to the community of OpenFOAM users and to the OpenFOAM technology wyldckat OpenFOAM 17 November 10, 2017 15:54
OpenFOAM Training Beijing 22-26 Aug 2016 cfd.direct OpenFOAM Announcements from Other Sources 0 May 3, 2016 04:57
Suggestion for a new sub-forum at OpenFOAM's Forum wyldckat Site Help, Feedback & Discussions 20 October 28, 2014 09:04
laminar diffusion flames in OpenFOAM? adhiraj OpenFOAM 3 September 15, 2010 19:16


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03.