CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Installation (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/)
-   -   [OpenFOAM.com] ParaView 5.7.0 and OpenFoam v1906 on Windows (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/219109-paraview-5-7-0-openfoam-v1906-windows.html)

MrTod July 15, 2019 19:04

ParaView 5.7.0 and OpenFoam v1906 on Windows
 
Hello,

I recently installed OpenFoam for Windows using openFoam Installation on Windows instructions: https://www.openfoam.com/download/in...ry-windows.php

I am able to run a simulation in openFOAM, but as I was going through the well known cavity tutorial, I found the the paraView command wasn't functioning.

I installed ParaView but I'm getting the following error when I enter the "paraFoam" command as per the tutorial:

Cannot us ParaView reader module library (PVFoamReader)
The PV_PLUGIN_PATH environment value is not set

Continuing with builtin reader: paraFoam -vtk

/opt/OpenFOAM/openFOAM-v1906/bin/paraFoam: line 326: paraview: command not found


I have yet to find a solution as was wondering if anyone has seen this before and knows what I missed in the setup or what I need to do to correct it.

Thank you!

wyldckat July 16, 2019 18:39

Quick answer: Quoting from the page you provided the link:
Quote:

How can I post process the results from OpenFOAM? I am unable to launch Paraview/ParaFoam from terminal?

You will need to install ParaView for Windows separately from ParaView. Create a file with the suffix ”.foam” e.g. type the command ”touch a.foam” in your case folder. Launch ParaView and browse the case folder. Open the file with suffix ”.foam” to start the post processing.

MrTod July 16, 2019 20:15

Somehow I forgot to add that I did install paraview from the website provided in the readme and created a file named "cavity.foam" in the case directory and still got that error.

ingraban July 17, 2019 02:25

I use OpenFoam v1812 on Windows. I am also unable to start Paraview from the Ubuntu terminal. I use Paraview 5.6.0 for Windows (launch it from the Windows icon).

wyldckat July 17, 2019 18:44

Quick answer: :eek: Wow! This is one of those interesting perspective problems, where the brain can fill in the gaps when data is missing... the website does have a critical typo, where:
Quote:

You will need to install ParaView for Windows separately from ParaView.
[...]
Launch ParaView and browse the case folder.
  • So on the first sentence is not stating explicitly that it needs ParaView to be installed separately from the Docker installation and instead be installed on Windows.
  • The second one is assuming the person understood the first sentence correctly, i.e. to do it on Windows...
OK, bug tracker here I go...

edit: Done: https://develop.openfoam.com/Develop...us/issues/1377

MrTod July 18, 2019 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 739246)
Quick answer: :eek: Wow! This is one of those interesting perspective problems, where the brain can fill in the gaps when data is missing... the website does have a critical typo, where:
  • So on the first sentence is not stating explicitly that it needs ParaView to be installed separately from the Docker installation and instead be installed on Windows.
  • The second one is assuming the person understood the first sentence correctly, i.e. to do it on Windows...
OK, bug tracker here I go...

edit: Done: https://develop.openfoam.com/Develop...us/issues/1377

This is what I ended up finding out too. When I run through Windows it works properly. Have to open the a.foam file in ParaView via Windows which wasn't made explicitly clear.

akashpatel95 July 19, 2019 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTod (Post 739043)
Hello,

I recently installed OpenFoam for Windows using openFoam Installation on Windows instructions: https://www.openfoam.com/download/in...ry-windows.php

I am able to run a simulation in openFOAM, but as I was going through the well known cavity tutorial, I found the the paraView command wasn't functioning.

I installed ParaView but I'm getting the following error when I enter the "paraFoam" command as per the tutorial:

Cannot us ParaView reader module library (PVFoamReader)
The PV_PLUGIN_PATH environment value is not set

Continuing with builtin reader: paraFoam -vtk

/opt/OpenFOAM/openFOAM-v1906/bin/paraFoam: line 326: paraview: command not found


I have yet to find a solution as was wondering if anyone has seen this before and knows what I missed in the setup or what I need to do to correct it.

Thank you!


Try using "paraFoam -builtin" command. The best thing about this command is that it creates temporary .foam file automatically and clean up that file after closing paraview.

wyldckat July 21, 2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by akashpatel95 (Post 739376)
Try using "paraFoam -builtin" command. The best thing about this command is that it creates temporary .foam file automatically and clean up that file after closing paraview.

Quick answer: Since ParaView is missing from within the Docker container, this is still somewhat usable, namely by running:
Code:

paraFoam -builtin -touch

mm66 December 11, 2019 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingraban (Post 739164)
I use OpenFoam v1812 on Windows. I am also unable to start Paraview from the Ubuntu terminal. I use Paraview 5.6.0 for Windows (launch it from the Windows icon).

Hi Ingo,

Are you using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

ingraban December 12, 2019 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm66 (Post 752150)
Hi Ingo,

Are you using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

Actually, I don't know ;). During installation, I followed youtube tutorial and installed a Ubuntu App (by Canonical Group Limited) on Windows 10. So far, it works fine. And OpenFoam is not even significantly slower than my colleague's installation on Ubuntu.

mm66 December 12, 2019 07:43

Yes, that's WSL and by default graphical applications cannot run there.
However, there are two options to run Paraview.
1. Install Paraview on Windows: after completion of simulation by openFoam, run:
Code:

foamToVTK
This will generate some files which can be fed to Paraview on Windows for visualization and post processing. Windows C drive (for example) can be accessed by Ubuntu at:
Code:

cd /mnt/c/
Or you can access Ubuntu files in Windows at:
Code:

C:/Users/your...user.../Appdata/local/packages/Canonical.../LocalState/rootfs
2. Install Paraview on Ubuntu: you need to install an Xserver software on Windows (such as VcXsrv). Once the installation is complete, then run the software and select 0 as the Display Number, then go to Ubuntu and open a terminal and put this:
Code:

echo "export DISPLAY=:0" >> ~/.bashrc
Then run:
Code:

. ~/.bashrc
Wait for it to complete and preferably there should be no error.
Now once simulations in openFoam are completed run:
Code:

paraFoam
This should do the trick.

Hope this helps...

ingraban December 12, 2019 08:26

Hi mm66, thank you for responding, but I did not ask the original question. My installation of ParaView for Windows is working fine. Still, your posting will be helpful to other users, I'm sure. :)

mm66 December 12, 2019 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingraban (Post 752243)
Hi mm66, thank you for responding, but I did not ask the original question. My installation of ParaView for Windows is working fine. Still, your posting will be helpful to other users, I'm sure. :)

Oh, I misunderstood, haha!
Good luck foaming :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42.