CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion

[Salome] unexpected geometry : topology of source and target faces seems different salome

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ykanani

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   February 28, 2017, 03:25
Default unexpected geometry : topology of source and target faces seems different salome
  #1
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Dear,
I am trying to mesh a complex geometry in Salome 7.8.0.
But I have always met a problem
Code:
 unexpected geometry : topology of source and target faces seems different
with the projection algorithm.
The python script for generating the mesh has been attached.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill

Last edited by 6863523; March 16, 2017 at 10:31.
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 1, 2017, 12:37
Default Solved
  #2
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your attentions.
Problem has been solved.
The link below may help the new learners of Salome.
http://docs.salome-platform.org/late...algo_page.html
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 3, 2017, 05:48
Default projection error to create the cyclic boundaries
  #3
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Dear,

The mesh is OK.
However, when I tried to use the createPatch function, there is always an error like this:
Code:
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
 For patch left there are 720 face centres, for the neighbour patch right there are 864
  
     From function void Foam::cyclicPolyPatch::calcTransforms(const  primitivePatch&, const pointField&, const vectorField&,  const pointField&, const vectorField&
     in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/constraint/cyclic/cyclicPolyPatch.C at line 156.
  
 FOAM exiting
I want to use the cyclic boundary conditions, it seems that I need to use the projection algorithm to create cyclic boundaries, according to the thread here http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/272693881
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 3, 2017, 10:04
Default the error occurs when transform the mesh into OpenFOAM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Dear,
I have checked again.
The error actually occurs when I tried to transfer the mesh into OpenFOAM, using the ideasUnvToFoam function.
Code:
Sorting boundary faces according to group (patch)
0: LEFT is patch
1: RIGHT is patch
2: BOTTOM is patch
3: TOP is patch
4: FRONTANDBACK is patch
5: SOLID is patch

Constructing mesh with non-default patches of size:
    LEFT	720
    RIGHT	864
    BOTTOM	729
    TOP	728
    FRONTANDBACK	2988514
    SOLID	55600

End
When I use the createPatch function, another error shows up
Code:
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
For patch left there are 720 face centres, for the neighbour patch right there are 864

    From function cyclicPolyPatch::calcTransforms()
    in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/constraint/cyclic/cyclicPolyPatch.C at line 161.

FOAM exiting
The mesh was created without projection algorithm in Salome.
Obviously, the error was caused by the unequal number of faces on the opposite boundaries (front and back, left and right, bottom and top), which should be of the same number.
However, when I tried to use the projection algorithm to generate mesh, there is always an error as in #1.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 4, 2017, 11:52
Default
  #5
Member
 
Yousef
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 40
Rep Power: 7
ykanani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6863523 View Post
Dear,
I have checked again.
The error actually occurs when I tried to transfer the mesh into OpenFOAM, using the ideasUnvToFoam function.
Code:
Sorting boundary faces according to group (patch)
0: LEFT is patch
1: RIGHT is patch
2: BOTTOM is patch
3: TOP is patch
4: FRONTANDBACK is patch
5: SOLID is patch

Constructing mesh with non-default patches of size:
    LEFT	720
    RIGHT	864
    BOTTOM	729
    TOP	728
    FRONTANDBACK	2988514
    SOLID	55600

End
When I use the createPatch function, another error shows up
Code:
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
For patch left there are 720 face centres, for the neighbour patch right there are 864

    From function cyclicPolyPatch::calcTransforms()
    in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/constraint/cyclic/cyclicPolyPatch.C at line 161.

FOAM exiting
The mesh was created without projection algorithm in Salome.
Obviously, the error was caused by the unequal number of faces on the opposite boundaries (front and back, left and right, bottom and top), which should be of the same number.
However, when I tried to use the projection algorithm to generate mesh, there is always an error as in #1.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill
Hello Bill,
Thanks for reaching out to me. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Salome grid generation. However, here is what I think about your problem:

1- If you are sure that you have identical patches in your grid, then there is something wrong in exporting the grid and converting it to the opemfoam

2 - You always can use CyclicAMI for non-identical patches (but in case that you cannot make patches identical)

As I said, I don't have any experience with this grid generation but it is less probable that openfoam conversion is causing the problem. So I think it is better to double check you grid in Salome and make sure that those patches are identical.

Regards,
Yousef
6863523 likes this.
ykanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 4, 2017, 12:35
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykanani View Post
Hello Bill,
Thanks for reaching out to me. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Salome grid generation. However, here is what I think about your problem:

1- If you are sure that you have identical patches in your grid, then there is something wrong in exporting the grid and converting it to the opemfoam

2 - You always can use CyclicAMI for non-identical patches (but in case that you cannot make patches identical)

As I said, I don't have any experience with this grid generation but it is less probable that openfoam conversion is causing the problem. So I think it is better to double check you grid in Salome and make sure that those patches are identical.

Regards,
Yousef
Dear Yousef,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Actually,I agree with you, I believe there is something wrong with the generation of mesh in Salome, as I have succeeded in one structure, however, when I changed the structure, there is this problem.
Any way, thanks for your attention.
Best Regards,
Bill
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 5, 2017, 09:07
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Bernhard Linseisen
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Heilbronn
Posts: 183
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 12
Linse is on a distinguished road
Dear Bill,

I suggest retrying the mesh conversion using the - in my opinion much better - python script written directly for that purpose. You will find it by looking for salomeToOpenFOAM.py quite easily, I think...
Linse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 6, 2017, 01:39
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linse View Post
Dear Bill,

I suggest retrying the mesh conversion using the - in my opinion much better - python script written directly for that purpose. You will find it by looking for salomeToOpenFOAM.py quite easily, I think...
Dear Linse,
I have tried the script before.
I believe it is caused by the mesh, if the mesh can be generated properly, there will not be such problem.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 9, 2017, 04:24
Default how to get a finer mesh
  #9
Senior Member
 
Bill Wang
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 8
6863523 is on a distinguished road
Dear,
I rechecked the geometry and made some modifications to ensure that the opposite boudaries are exactly the same, and there is no such error.
The mesh generation seems good. The number of faces on the opposite boundaries is the same.
However, when I check mesh in OpenFOAM, it tells me there are "severely non-orthogonal faces and skewed faces" and mesh check failed.
However, when I check the skewed faces in Salome, the element seems normal, as in the attachment.

I wonder if any one knows how to avoid such severely non-orthogonal faces in salome.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skewed face.jpg (114.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 6863523; March 16, 2017 at 11:20. Reason: updated infos
6863523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[swak4Foam] swak4foam for OpenFOAM 4.0 mnikku OpenFOAM Community Contributions 77 May 7, 2020 04:22
[foam-extend.org] Problems installing foam-extend-4.0 on openSUSE 42.2 and Ubuntu 16.04 ordinary OpenFOAM Installation 19 September 3, 2019 18:13
polynomial BC srv537 OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 4 December 3, 2016 09:07
[OpenFOAM.org] Error creating ParaView-4.1.0 OpenFOAM 2.3.0 tlcoons OpenFOAM Installation 13 April 20, 2016 17:34
[OpenFOAM.org] OF2.3.1 + OS13.2 - Trying to use the dummy Pstream library aylalisa OpenFOAM Installation 23 June 15, 2015 14:49


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48.