CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Programming & Development

Adding evaporation source terms + interMixingFoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   February 2, 2022, 07:30
Default Adding evaporation source terms + interMixingFoam
  #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: India
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 5
Pavithra is on a distinguished road
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to model evaporation of a water droplet in open air. I am considering vapour and air diffusion.

Hence, I chose interMixingFoam as my base solver, as it can handle three fluids out of which two are miscible with each other.

I have added the temperature equation to it and have calculated the evaporation mass transfer rate (mDot).

I need add the density weighted source terms to the alpha equations.

Code:
        // Solve for alpha1
        solve
        (
        fvm::ddt(alpha1) 
        + fvc::div(alphaPhi1) 
        + mDot/rho1
        );
Code:
        // Solve for alpha2
        fvScalarMatrix alpha2Eqn
        (
            fvm::ddt(alpha2)
          + fvc::div(alphaPhi2)
          - fvm::laplacian(Dc23 + Dc32, alpha2)
          - mDot/rho2
        );
        alpha2Eqn.solve();
This compiles very well. But, it diverges immediately once I run the simulation. I understand that the source terms have to be added using Su Sp in MULES.

I read previous posts that directed to look for interCondensatingEvaporatingFoam. But, interCondensatingEvaporatingFoam has only one alphaEqn and hence it just defines one Su and Sp terms. However, in my case I have two source terms mDot/rho1 and mDot/rho2.

Some one kindly please guide how to proceed with this problem.

Thank You.
Pavithra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 19, 2022, 10:36
Default
  #2
Member
 
Vitor Monteiro
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 4
Vitor Monteiro is on a distinguished road
Instead of using inter, wouldn't it be better to use multiphaseEulerFoam? It has the interfaceCompositionPhaseChangeMultiphaseSystem model that could help you. See the tutorial bubbleColumnEvaporating to check how it is implemented.
Vitor Monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 9, 2022, 01:19
Default
  #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: India
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 5
Pavithra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Monteiro View Post
Instead of using inter, wouldn't it be better to use multiphaseEulerFoam? It has the interfaceCompositionPhaseChangeMultiphaseSystem model that could help you. See the tutorial bubbleColumnEvaporating to check how it is implemented.
Hello,

First of all, sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I see that the multiphaseEulerFoam does not consider phase change. (https://www.openfoam.com/documentati...EulerFoam.html).

Likewise, the bubble column tutorial in multiphaseEulerFoam folder also does not consider phase change.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Thank You.
Pavithra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 9, 2022, 13:55
Default
  #4
Member
 
Al
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 5
aliyah. is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I believe icoReactingMultiphaseInterFoam can be used. For your particular case, you should use water for the soluble fraction and air and vapor for the gas part. Then choose liquid to vapor for the phase change. The* pooleEvaporation tutorial is*a good example of this. Actually, it's the example you're looking for, and just modifying the boundary conditions and geometry will result in the problem you mentioned in your question.

You can find it in the following address in openfoam.

Code:
openfoam2006/tutorials/multiphase/icoReactingMultiPhaseInterFoam/poolEvaporation
aliyah. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 9, 2022, 19:50
Default
  #5
Member
 
Vitor Monteiro
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 4
Vitor Monteiro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavithra View Post
Hello,

First of all, sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I see that the multiphaseEulerFoam does not consider phase change. (https://www.openfoam.com/documentati...EulerFoam.html).

Likewise, the bubble column tutorial in multiphaseEulerFoam folder also does not consider phase change.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Thank You.


Actually, I thing there is a interface change modeling for evaporation. See this please (https://openfoam.org/release/8/).

In that context, what does the bubbleColumnEVAPORATING tutorial in multiphaseEulerFoam do if there's not evaporation?

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong.
Vitor Monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 11, 2022, 22:26
Default
  #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: India
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 5
Pavithra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliyah. View Post
Hello,

I believe icoReactingMultiphaseInterFoam can be used. For your particular case, you should use water for the soluble fraction and air and vapor for the gas part. Then choose liquid to vapor for the phase change. The* pooleEvaporation tutorial is*a good example of this. Actually, it's the example you're looking for, and just modifying the boundary conditions and geometry will result in the problem you mentioned in your question.

You can find it in the following address in openfoam.

Code:
openfoam2006/tutorials/multiphase/icoReactingMultiPhaseInterFoam/poolEvaporation
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I am aware about the icoReactingMultiPhaseInterFoam. But, the phase change physics in icoReactingMultiPhaseInterFoam is based on emprirical models like Lee Model or the Schrage model. But, I am trying to implement an P_sat and T_sat dependent model. Implementation of this new model is very complex and tedious in the framework of icoReactingMultiphaseInterFoam. Hence, I intend to use the framework of interMixingFoam. interMixingFoam already can handle two miscible and one immiscible fluids. I am trying to implement the mass transfer model into this framework.

Thank You.
Pavithra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 11, 2022, 22:31
Default
  #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: India
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 5
Pavithra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Monteiro View Post
Actually, I thing there is a interface change modeling for evaporation. See this please (https://openfoam.org/release/8/).

In that context, what does the bubbleColumnEVAPORATING tutorial in multiphaseEulerFoam do if there's not evaporation?

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry, I am working on ESI version of openFOAM. You were talking about the foundation version.

The ESI version does not have bubble column evaporating tutorial.

I will install the foundation version of OpenFOAM and check the phase change models in multiPhaseEulerFoam.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

My main requirement is that I want to implement a new phase change model. It requires the inclusion of source term as described in my first post.

Thank You.
Pavithra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 12, 2022, 15:19
Default
  #8
Member
 
Vitor Monteiro
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 4
Vitor Monteiro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavithra View Post
Sorry, I am working on ESI version of openFOAM. You were talking about the foundation version.

The ESI version does not have bubble column evaporating tutorial.

I will install the foundation version of OpenFOAM and check the phase change models in multiPhaseEulerFoam.

Thank You.
That's all right. I recommend take a look on that. You mentioned implementing P_sat and T_sat dependent model, and that is exactly why I suggested interPhaseChangeModel.

Take a look on that and tell us if it was worthy.
Vitor Monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
evaporation, intermixingfoam, mass transfer coefficient

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[swak4Foam] swak4foam for OpenFOAM 4.0 mnikku OpenFOAM Community Contributions 80 May 17, 2022 09:06
multiRegionHeater error ordinary OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 2 June 9, 2020 18:43
[foam-extend.org] Problems installing foam-extend-4.0 on openSUSE 42.2 and Ubuntu 16.04 ordinary OpenFOAM Installation 19 September 3, 2019 19:13
polynomial BC srv537 OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 4 December 3, 2016 10:07
[Other] How to use finite area method in official OpenFOAM 2.2.0? Detian Liu OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 4 November 3, 2015 04:04


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:03.