Waves2Foam Related Topics

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   March 3, 2014, 09:51

Kevin Maki
kjmaki is on a distinguished road
Hi Pablo,

I certainly agree that the possibility to take a large time step does not mean that it is possible to get an accurate answer using such a large time step.

Yes, the time step did eventually correspond with max Co of 25. There is more damping of the wave downstream as the time step size departs largely from 1.

I have not done heavy testing, but the possibility to march with a max Courant number of 10 or 50 is like a factor 10 or 50 speed up. Frequently near the interface the Courant number is a small fraction of the maximum, especially upstream and away from the body where accuracy in the wave propagation is critical.

Best wishes,

Kevin
kjmaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 13, 2014, 05:22

Nick Krgs
Nick_civ is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

1) I am trying to find where the equations of your turbulence model (as described in your article) are. I have run several cases and I can see breaking wave or run up but you have set laminar in the turbulence properties file. I suppose that your turbulence model is included inside the code and I am trying to find where. Can you help me?
2) I get very high pressures (p_rgh) when I use snappyhexMesh and the p_rgh animation (Paraview) is like the alpha one. It must be mentioned that I have changed the sea level (it is not zero) because the stl file must have positive coordinates. You can try it with the test attached to my previous posts (#720 post). Do you have any idea about that?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Nick
Nick_civ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 13, 2014, 13:08
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Hi Nick,

Ad. 1.: The turbulence model is not part of waves2Foam. I do not have any immediate plans of releasing it.

Ad. 2.: The pressure does exactly as it is supposed to do. p_rgh is the pressure in excess of the hydrostatic component, which is 0 for z = 0 m, i.e. placing the sea level high means that the hydrostatic pressure is large and negative, why p_rgh has to be large and positive.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   March 13, 2014, 21:17
Default waveDyMFoam with sixDoFRigidBodyDisplacement
Fan

Xiang fan
Fan is on a distinguished road
Hi friends~

I use waveDyMFoam with sixDoFRigidBpdyDisplacement to study floating body motion. I meet a problem that the line velocity of y become higher and higher by the time, and soon the program break. I use the basic sets in ././multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/floatingObject. I also note that the vector of g is different between the two case and I have fix it.

I`m begging your help, thanks.
Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 16, 2014, 07:06
Default Error in simulating wave breaking case

Sujatha is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
I am newbie to Waves2Foam and CFD, am trying to start with it.
I tried to simulate the same case as given by sir,Nieils G. Jacobsen of wave breaking, in his thesis, with the same dimensions, but I ended up with errors while trying to run the solver using the command 'waveFoam'. The error is as given below
[--> FOAM Warning :
From function Time:perator++()
in file db/Time/Time.C at line 1029
Increased the timePrecision from 163 to 164 to distinguish between timeNames at time 0.00447424
Time = 0.004474244271786539939306237556593259796500205993 65234375

MULES: Solving for alpha1
Phase-1 volume fraction = 0.426078 Min(alpha1) = -5.36014e-22 Max(alpha1) = 1.00001
DILUPBiCG: Solving for Ux, Initial residual = 0.0292454, Final residual = 1.43655e-12, No Iterations 3
DILUPBiCG: Solving for Uy, Initial residual = 0.347856, Final residual = 1.91252e-11, No Iterations 3
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.0211921, Final residual = 7.14616e-08, No Iterations 19
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.0210315, Final residual = 6.74689e-08, No Iterations 19
time step continuity errors : sum local = 7.99133e-09, global = -2.70288e-09, cumulative = -1.27989e-06
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.0196818, Final residual = 6.36224e-08, No Iterations 19
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.0208673, Final residual = 6.71072e-08, No Iterations 19
time step continuity errors : sum local = 3.09539e-08, global = -1.04359e-08, cumulative = -1.29032e-06
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 Uninterpreted:
#3 Foam::GAMGSolver::scale(Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::lduMatrix const&, Foam::FieldField<Foam::Field, double> const&, Foam::UPtrList<Foam::lduInterfaceField const> const&, Foam::Field<double> const&, unsigned char) const in "/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#4 Foam::GAMGSolver::Vcycle(Foam::PtrList<Foam::lduMa trix::smoother> const&, Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::Field<double> const&, Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::PtrList<Foam::Field<double> >&, Foam::PtrList<Foam::Field<double> >&, unsigned char) const in "/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5 Foam::GAMGSolver::solve(Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::Field<double> const&, unsigned char) const in "/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#6 Foam::fvMatrix<double>::solveSegregated(Foam::dict ionary const&) in "/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#7 Foam::fvMatrix<double>::solve(Foam::dictionary const&) in "/home/parvathi/OpenFOAM/parvathi-2.2.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/bin/waveFoam"
in "/home/parvathi/OpenFOAM/parvathi-2.2.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/bin/waveFoam"
#9 __libc_start_main in "/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
]

I also have a doubt that, what should be the length of the relaxation zone at the outlet??
More over I have experienced similar errors while trying wave reflection or breaking cases.
Kindly consider and someone please respond.
Any comment will be a privilege.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Sujatha
Sujatha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 24, 2014, 11:50
Default Installation problem

zhyren is on a distinguished road
Hi Jacobsen,
I have a problem when I want to install the waves2Foam. It read like this:

=====================================
ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES
=====================================
EXTBRANCH=0
FOAMEXTENDPROJECT=0
WAVES_APPBIN=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/bin
WAVES_DIR=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam
WAVES_GSL_INCLUDE=/usr/include
WAVES_GSL_LIB=/usr/lib64
WAVES_LIBBIN=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib
WAVES_POST=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/postProcessing
WAVES_PRE=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing
WAVES_SOL=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/applications/solvers/solvers230
WAVES_SRC=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/src
WAVES_TUT=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials
WAVES_UTIL=/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/applications/utilities
WAVES_XVERSION=0
WM_PROJECT_VERSION_NUMBER=230

FATAL ERROR.
The directory path /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam does not exist.
Correct the path in bin/bashrc

This means that you should correct the environmental variable $WAVES_DIR
such that it is pointed (in absolute sense) to the path, where waves2Foam
is located.

Please note that once bin/bashrc is created, bin/bashrc.org is only an
inactive file. The latter is also the only of the two files, which is
updated through the SVN-repository.

EXITING
zhyren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 24, 2014, 13:13
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Zhyren,

Please read the error message carefully. Otherwise, the solution is given a multiple number of times in this thread.

Good luck,

Niels

Old   March 25, 2014, 06:40
Default Running problem

Hi, I have installed it in OpenFoam-2.3.0. But when I run it, there is a problem like this

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
keyword water is undefined in dictionary "/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume/constant/transportProperties"

file: /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume/constant/transportProperties from line 19 to line 59.

From function dictionary::subDict(const word& keyword)
in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 661.

FOAM exiting

I have installed waves2foam in my own PC and G-Bar of DTU, however, it shows same problems. I do not know how to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Hi Zhyren,

Please read the error message carefully. Otherwise, the solution is given a multiple number of times in this thread.

Good luck,

Niels

Last edited by zhyren; March 25, 2014 at 09:35.

Old   March 25, 2014, 14:06
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good evening Zhyren,

Please check that you at least is using revision 2037 of waves2Foam.

If this is fulfilled, please make sure that you are executing the tutorials by typing:

Code:
./Allrun
Kind regards,

Niels

Old   March 26, 2014, 06:36

Hi, thank you for your patience. But there is still a problem. The version is 2.38. When I run './Allrun', it read as followed and the files in '0' folder all gone. I am waiting your answers.

zhiyuan@zhiyuan-Satellite-L700:~/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume$ ./Allrun
../../../bin/prepareCase.sh: line 18: 0.org/alpha1.org: No such file or directory
../../../bin/prepareCase.sh: line 29: 0.org/pd.org: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘0.org/U.org’: No such file or directory
blockMesh already run on /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume: remove log file to re-run
waveGaugesNProbes already run on /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume: remove log file to re-run
setWaveParameters already run on /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume: remove log file to re-run
setWaveField already run on /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume: remove log file to re-run
waveFoam already run on /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume: remove log file to re-run
postProcessWaves2Foam already run on /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume: remove log file to re-run

Quote:
Good evening Zhyren,

Please check that you at least is using revision 2037 of waves2Foam.

If this is fulfilled, please make sure that you are executing the tutorials by typing:

Code:
./Allrun
Kind regards,

Niels

Old   March 26, 2014, 06:51
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Oh, yes, that is definitely an error from my part.

I have simply not fully updated the tutorials and for that I am sorry. I will post online as soon as this has been corrected.

Kind regards,

Niels

P.S. To retrieve deleted files from the repository, you can use the "svn revert" command.

Old   March 26, 2014, 14:31
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good evening,

The bug related to the execution of the tutorials is now corrected. See here: http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...tml#post482263

and

http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Co..._.28History.29

Kind regards

Niels

Old   March 27, 2014, 06:29

Hi, I am not sure is it only my problem with version 2.39. But every case will present problems.

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
keyword div(rhoPhi,U) is undefined in dictionary "/home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/standingWave/system/fvSchemes.divSchemes"

file: /home/zhiyuan/OpenFOAM/zhiyuan-2.3.0/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/standingWave/system/fvSchemes.divSchemes from line 33 to line 39.

From function dictionary::lookupEntry(const word&, bool, bool) const
in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 437.

Old   March 27, 2014, 12:17

jl637 is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

I will be starting in a short time with the porous part on waves2Foam and I am currently trying to figure out all the details regarding the volume averaging procedure and the implementation in OpenFOAM.

So far I have spotted something that is not clear to me, so I would be grateful if you could clarify it. Regarding equation 4 in Jensen's paper I see that "1/n" is outside the viscous term, however in porousWaveFoam it is implemented as "fvm::laplacian(muEff/porosityFace, U)", so it is inside the laplacian.

Reading this thread clarified me lots of things about the two viscous components:

http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...-equation.html

Is this a bug?
jl637 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 27, 2014, 16:24
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good evening Zhyren,

Sorry for the trouble. There was a naming change, which I had forgotten to carry over in the final tutorials. The svn-repository is now updated, and I have checked that they are running (revision 2040).

Also, in the future, please do not post the same in multiple threads.

@jl637: The Laplacian in OpenFoam is divided into the explicit and implicit contributions, why the implementation of the Laplacian does match the equations in the mentioned reference.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   March 31, 2014, 03:12
Default Unknown patchField type waveVelocity

Paritosh Vasava
vasava will become famous soon enough
I have openFoam 2.2 and I added the wave2Foam toolbox to it. I have this toolbox folder on my desktop and could compile it without any problem.

But when I try to run the 3Dwaves tutorial I get the following error:

Code:
Unknown patchField type waveVelocity for patch type patch

Valid patchField types are :

(
SRFFreestreamVelocity
SRFVelocity
activeBaffleVelocity
activePressureForceBaffleVelocity
advective
atmBoundaryLayerInletVelocity
calculated
codedFixedValue
codedMixed
cyclic
cyclicAMI
cyclicSlip
cylindricalInletVelocity
directionMixed
empty
fixedGradient
fixedInternalValue
fixedJump
fixedJumpAMI
fixedMean
fixedNormalSlip
fixedValue
flowRateInletVelocity
fluxCorrectedVelocity
freestream
inletOutlet
kqRWallFunction
mapped
mappedField
mappedFixedInternalValue
mappedFixedPushedInternalValue
mappedFlowRate
mappedVelocityFlux
mixed
movingWallVelocity
nonuniformTransformCyclic
oscillatingFixedValue
outletInlet
outletMappedUniformInlet
partialSlip
pressureDirectedInletOutletVelocity
pressureDirectedInletVelocity
pressureInletOutletParSlipVelocity
pressureInletOutletVelocity
pressureInletUniformVelocity
pressureInletVelocity
pressureNormalInletOutletVelocity
processor
processorCyclic
rotatingPressureInletOutletVelocity
rotatingWallVelocity
sliced
slip
supersonicFreestream
surfaceNormalFixedValue
swirlFlowRateInletVelocity
symmetryPlane
timeVaryingMappedFixedValue
translatingWallVelocity
turbulentInlet
uniformFixedValue
uniformJump
uniformJumpAMI
variableHeightFlowRateInletVelocity
waveTransmissive
wedge
zeroGradient
)

file: /home/paritosh/Desktop/currentWork/waveTests/3Dwaves/0/U.boundaryField.inlet0 from line 26 to line 30.

From function fvPatchField<Type>::New(const fvPatch&, const DimensionedField<Type, volMesh>&, const dictionary&)
    in file /home/opencfd/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvPatchFieldNew.C at line 136.

FOAM exiting
I doubt that this error is due to the fact that the toolbox folder is on my desktop and not with openfoam directory. But I would like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

So any help or suggestion?
vasava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 31, 2014, 05:31

Paritosh Vasava
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasava View Post
........I doubt that this error is due to the fact that the toolbox folder is on my desktop and not with openfoam directory.
I could fix the issue by correcting the waveProperties file.

Old   March 31, 2014, 13:18
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Paritosh and others,

I cannot reproduce the error, as I have been able to execute the 3Dwaves tutorial straight out of the box on OF2.2.

I used a check-out of revision 2040.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   April 1, 2014, 06:40

Paritosh Vasava
Quote:
Hi Paritosh and others,

I cannot reproduce the error, as I have been able to execute the 3Dwaves tutorial straight out of the box on OF2.2.

I used a check-out of revision 2040.

Kind regards,

Niels
Do you mean the toolbox comes with openfoam 2.2 (and later versions)??

Old   April 1, 2014, 13:54
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
No, I mean that by using the most recent svn revision of waves2Foam, I cannot reproduce the error.

waves2Foam is a plugin to OpenFoam, and I try to keep it up to date with new versions, but it is not natively distributed with neither OpenFoam nor the foam-extend project.

Kind regards,

Niels