CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Verification & Validation

Purpose of this forum

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By gschaider

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   October 6, 2011, 17:41
Default Purpose of this forum
  #1
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,145
Rep Power: 46
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
This forum is for comparing the solvers of OpenFOAM with experimental or analytical results. Thread titles should have the solver that is to be validated and a unique name for the case in the title (for instance "simpleFoam - backward facing step measured by Pitz and Dailey"). It is NOT a forum for questions for help - there are other Forums for that. Threads for which this Forum is not appropriate will be moved to a more appropriate thread to keep the forum focused on its topic. Apart from this the Forum is unmoderated
wiedangel, Tobi, ancolli and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Tobi; November 7, 2018 at 06:49.
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 7, 2011, 01:35
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Felix L.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 14
FelixL is on a distinguished road
Good morning, Bernhard,


why only the solvers? Turbulence models, transport models and other applications also need V&V, so why not put them into this forum, too?


Greetings,
Felix.
FelixL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 7, 2011, 07:28
Default
  #3
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,145
Rep Power: 46
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixL View Post
why only the solvers? Turbulence models, transport models and other applications also need V&V, so why not put them into this forum, too?
Maybe the formulation was a bit narrow but in spirit this wouldn't be a problem (verifying submodels) although one could argue that you can only verify the submodel in the framework of a concrete solver.

The idea was to avoid threads like "It would be NICE if SOMEONE verified ALL THE turbulence models so that I can use it for my thesis" (or even worse "Help me VERIFY that my boundary conditions are correct") and make sure that threads start with something like "I have this set of data that nicely shows a laminar turbulent transition and would like to verify the turbulence models with it. I think simpleFoam is the way to go and I started a case with it but I'm getting nowhere and would need some input. Anyone interested?" because that might lead somewhere. The important point is that people know WHAT they want to validate/verify and against WHAT.
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 7, 2011, 07:49
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Bernhard
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delft
Posts: 790
Rep Power: 17
Bernhard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
The idea was to avoid threads like "It would be NICE if SOMEONE verified ALL THE turbulence models so that I can use it for my thesis" (or even worse "Help me VERIFY that my boundary conditions are correct") and make sure that threads start with something like "I have this set of data that nicely shows a laminar turbulent transition and would like to verify the turbulence models with it. I think simpleFoam is the way to go and I started a case with it but I'm getting nowhere and would need some input. Anyone interested?" because that might lead somewhere. The important point is that people know WHAT they want to validate/verify and against WHAT.
I feel adressed by your post. A lot of validation has been done already, the only thing is that is is scattered and repeated much more than necessary. My interpretation of the intention of this subforum was that it evolves into a thorough collection of validated test cases to make OpenFOAM more valuable for everyone. As I understand from your post now, the intention is to focus on some test case of specific users still in progress. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Bernhard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 7, 2011, 08:57
Default
  #5
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,145
Rep Power: 46
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
I feel adressed by your post.
I hope not in a bad way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
A lot of validation has been done already, the only thing is that is is scattered and repeated much more than necessary. My interpretation of the intention of this subforum was that it evolves into a thorough collection of validated test cases to make OpenFOAM more valuable for everyone. As I understand from your post now, the intention is to focus on some test case of specific users still in progress. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Collecting existing cases is OK. But if you are aware of validation that was done, why don't you adress it? "I've seen LES-validations in the thesis of Dr.X. Anyone has these cases and is willing to share it?" Be concrete. People are also much more likely to respond if you adress their work

(also do I think that for verification cases that are "consolidated" something like the Wiki is a better place)

Bernhard (the other one)
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 27, 2011, 07:36
Default
  #6
Member
 
wided
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 12
wiedangel is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,
i find the idea of this forum a very nice one. I am trying to validate turbulence models using DDES for an airfoil flow. Will post some results here when I get them ready.
Thank you for this validation and exchange space.
wiedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2019, 00:49
Default interFoam -partial dam-break test case-Fraccarollo and Toro, 1995
  #7
Member
 
abdikerim kurbanaliev
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kyrgyzstan, Osh
Posts: 66
Rep Power: 12
kerim is on a distinguished road
Hi Foamers,
I would like to validate interFoam solver against the experimental data Fraccarollo and Toro, 1995. That is why I am seeking for the next paper:
Experimental and Numerical Assessment of the Shallow Water Model for Two-dimensional Dam-Break Type Problems.
Journal of Hydraulic Research 33(6):843-864 November 1995,
DOI: 10.1080/00221689509498555.


Any kind of help highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Kerim
kerim is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Discussion Forum Launched pete Site News & Announcements 0 March 15, 2009 14:55
New forum software preview Peter Main CFD Forum 3 February 2, 2009 19:50
Switching Forum Software, Opinions Wanted Jonas Larsson Main CFD Forum 42 December 23, 2008 04:34
What is the purpose of this FORUM jaswi OpenFOAM Installation 24 July 15, 2008 15:09
What is the purpose of this FORUM jaswi OpenFOAM 0 May 6, 2008 10:48


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12.