Home > Forums > OpenFOAM

rotorDiskSource using targetCoeffTrim

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 16, 2017, 09:45
Default rotorDiskSource using targetCoeffTrim

jackkra is on a distinguished road
Hi!
I have lately been using the rotorDiskSource option to simulate a helicopter rotordisk downwash. Using the option "fixedTrim" to define the pitch angle and letting the program itself calculate the resulting thrust has worked well. Now I would like to use the option "targetForce" to define a thrust and letting the program derive a pitch angle. Here are were my luck ends...

Using "targetForce" the program is complaining this is not an option and that I have to chose between "fixedTrim" or "targetCoeffTrim". I guess I have to chose targetCoeffTrim here? How do I define the options needed inside targetCoeffTrim?

Using the tutorial -> Incompreesible -> SimpleFoam -> RotorDisk does not give any hints for the "targetCoeffTrim" options. Neither does the documentation "Development of Virtual Blade Model for Modelling
Helicopter Rotor Downwash in OpenFOAM" by Stefano Wahono.

Any direct help or if one can point to a guide/doc that could help would be appreciated.
jackkra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 23, 2017, 10:47

jackkra is on a distinguished road
I actually can get the analysis to run the initiation phase based on the "calcFrequency" option and the initial pitch angle. When the the analysis then enter the "targetCoeffTrim" phase the analysis fails. The error message look like this...

Code:
Time = 10

targetCoeffTrim:
    solving for target trim coefficients
#0  Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) at ??:?
#1  Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) at ??:?
#2  ? in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3  void Foam::targetCoeffTrim::correctTrim<Foam::geometricOneField>(Foam::geometricOneField const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&) at ??:?
#4  Foam::targetCoeffTrim::correct(Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&) at ??:?
#5  Foam::fv::rotorDiskSource::addSup(Foam::fvMatrix<Foam::Vector<double> >&, int) at ??:?
#6  ? at ??:?
#7  ? at ??:?
#8  __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#9  ? at ??:?
Floating point exception
It seems to be something wrong with the "correctTrim" and geometricOneField. What could it be?
jackkra is offline   Reply With Quote