Morphodynamics of a tidal inlet

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 20, 2017, 03:30
Lightbulb Morphodynamics of a tidal inlet

Twan Wilting
Twan is on a distinguished road
Hello Foamers,

This post is a question to (experienced) CFD users. I am doing my Master Thesis and would like to include some modeling of the morphodynamics of a tidal inlet.

We are interested in studying experimentally ( and maybe also numerically ) the evolution of a tidal inlet under the action of the tide. The experiments will be carried out in a rectangular tank divided into two basins: one being the sea and one being a coastal basin. The inlet will be composed of a hard structure surrounded by light polymer particles simulating the sediment. A tidal-like motion will be created by either an oscillating cylinder going up and down into the water or by a wave-maker that will generate gravity waves running along the shore.

In the experiments (therefore also the simulations?) a thin layer of particles is covering the basin (and sea). Due to the tides, sediment will get eroded and some characteristic bathymetries can be formed.

Is it possible to combine IHFOAM/wave2Foam (wave generator) with settlingFoam or an other sediment package to recreate the same setup as in the experiments. If not is it already possible to simulate an square tidal inlet with sediment?

I hope that some of you have good suggestions, or ideas how I can simulate my experiments.

I added several pictures of precious (experimental) work in order to give a better understanding of the setup.

Kind regards,

Twan
Schematic overview 1:
f1.PNG
Schematic overview 2:
f2.PNG
Experimental end result ( At the beginning no sediment was present @ sea only @ basin, after a few tides the following image was obtained. )
Top view of eroded sediment, deposited at sea after a few tides.
f3.PNG
Twan is offline   Reply With Quote