CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > Siemens > STAR-CCM+

Swirl and Tumble on Derived parts

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   December 1, 2017, 03:09
Default Swirl and Tumble on Derived parts
  #1
New Member
 
Paresh
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Austria
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
pary07 is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,

I am running a steady state simulation on single cylinder engine and I want to calculate the tumble and swirl on derived parts. Has anyone done this, as I have tried and I am getting really odd values?

Thanks in advance.
pary07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 5, 2017, 06:27
Default Try on cell set
  #2
Senior Member
 
Ashok Chaudhari
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 198
Rep Power: 4
ashokac7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pary07 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am running a steady state simulation on single cylinder engine and I want to calculate the tumble and swirl on derived parts. Has anyone done this, as I have tried and I am getting really odd values?

Thanks in advance.
Yes it is proposed under development idea in Steve Portal . But I read somewhere that you can able to get it on cell set. Try that.
ashokac7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 5, 2017, 07:59
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Paresh
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Austria
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
pary07 is on a distinguished road
Hi Ashok,

Thank you for replying. I did create a cell set and then also made a threshold of it, but I do not know how can I use this to plot tumble or swirl. Also, I never came across this method before, so could you please tell me more about how I can achieve this?
My initial derived part was a constrained plane section which I used as input part on my reports to evaluate expressions but here I cannot use the cell sets as input, but I can indeed use the threshold as input and on using this, it shows no data when I try to run the reports.
pary07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2017, 06:30
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Ashok Chaudhari
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 198
Rep Power: 4
ashokac7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pary07 View Post
Hi Ashok,

Thank you for replying. I did create a cell set and then also made a threshold of it, but I do not know how can I use this to plot tumble or swirl. Also, I never came across this method before, so could you please tell me more about how I can achieve this?
My initial derived part was a constrained plane section which I used as input part on my reports to evaluate expressions but here I cannot use the cell sets as input, but I can indeed use the threshold as input and on using this, it shows no data when I try to run the reports.

This article is from steve portal for tumble/swirl ratio.

The tumble value is defined as the ratio of angular velocity of the solid body vortex to the axial velocity of the piston.

The tumble flow is a superposition of a circular and an axial movement in the direction of the piston.

In general:
Tu=Vt/Va

where va| can be described by:
Va=mdot/ A*density

Under the assumption that vt and r are in the same plane, vt can be described as :
Vt=w_vector (cross product) r_vector


You need a coordinate system (CS) in the center of the vortex to which the tumble value is related to and the normal vector of the plane mentioned before:

Create a field function for vt.
vt = dot($$Velocity, unit(cross($$Centroid ("CS") , $$normal vector of the plane)))


Next create a mass flow report (MassFlow1Report) to determine the mass flow that enters the domain.

Create a field function for va:
va = $MassFlow1Report / ($cylinder cross section area * $Density)


Last step:
Tu = $vt / $va
ashokac7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2017, 06:36
Default Swirl in region
  #5
Senior Member
 
Ashok Chaudhari
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 198
Rep Power: 4
ashokac7 is on a distinguished road
I am also working on a problem involving swirl. I want to give swirl in the domain. But I know how to specify that on boundary not in region. Do you know anything on this?
ashokac7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2017, 06:39
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Paresh
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Austria
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
pary07 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I did come across this link, it is an alternative to the tumble/Swirl report. I tried using the above equation by creating scalar field function vt and va as :
vt=dot($$Velocity, unit(cross($$Centroid ("Laboratory.CartesianCSYS") , $$Normal)))
va=${MassFlow1Report}/(${cylinder_area} *${Density})

Here I am transforming my coordinates, and for the mass flow report I use my section plane as input, but when I run the report, it shows error as cannot evaluate velocity or density. The thing is I am not sure how will this work without using any sum reports.
pary07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2017, 06:59
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Ashok Chaudhari
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 198
Rep Power: 4
ashokac7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pary07 View Post
Yes, I did come across this link, it is an alternative to the tumble/Swirl report. I tried using the above equation by creating scalar field function vt and va as :
vt=dot($$Velocity, unit(cross($$Centroid ("Laboratory.CartesianCSYS") , $$Normal)))
va=${MassFlow1Report}/(${cylinder_area} *${Density})

Here I am transforming my coordinates, and for the mass flow report I use my section plane as input, but when I run the report, it shows error as cannot evaluate velocity or density. The thing is I am not sure how will this work without using any sum reports.
Did you create the co-ordinate system in the domain. If co-ordinate system lies outside then it may not give you any result. This may be the case.

And I don't understand that why do we need sum report?
ashokac7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2017, 07:13
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Paresh
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Austria
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
pary07 is on a distinguished road
My coordinate system is well within the cylinder and indeed at half the stroke. Well, when I create the scalar ff(field function) vt, it comprises of the vector velocity. Now, this is just a ff. So when I execute the expression vt/va, it says cannot evaluate ff Velocity and that I assume is because I cannot assign any part to this ff vt.
How exactly are you thinking about this? Maybe I am wrong somewhere.
pary07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 8, 2017, 07:59
Default
  #9
Senior Member
 
Ashok Chaudhari
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 198
Rep Power: 4
ashokac7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pary07 View Post
My coordinate system is well within the cylinder and indeed at half the stroke. Well, when I create the scalar ff(field function) vt, it comprises of the vector velocity. Now, this is just a ff. So when I execute the expression vt/va, it says cannot evaluate ff Velocity and that I assume is because I cannot assign any part to this ff vt.
How exactly are you thinking about this? Maybe I am wrong somewhere.
I am also working on this. Same error like you. I will let you know if I find something.
ashokac7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 13, 2017, 02:48
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Paresh
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Austria
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
pary07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokac7 View Post
I am also working on this. Same error like you. I will let you know if I find something.
Hi ashok, did you find anything on this?
pary07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 13, 2017, 03:15
Unhappy
  #11
Senior Member
 
Ashok Chaudhari
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 198
Rep Power: 4
ashokac7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pary07 View Post
Hi ashok, did you find anything on this?
Sorry Paresh, I found the way around it. I had to create the swirl so what I did is create the cylindrical co-ordinate system at inlet. And apply the flow direction as components. For this only tangential and axial velocity was required. But I was unable to calculate realizable swirl values in region. Instead you can also do the same. Create a plane where you want swirl value. Then crate local cylindrical co-ordinate system at this plane. Calculate X,Y and Z components of velocity (for cylindrical co-ordinate sys) using report. X is radial, Y is Tangential and Z is axial. So swirl will be (Vtangential/Vaxial). I don't know what is accuracy of this. But this should work, may be.
ashokac7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to calculate swirl number....? zkhn FLUENT 0 April 26, 2017 16:56
Validation of Swirl Number with Tippelmann Method using STAR CCM+ shantanukale STAR-CCM+ 0 April 4, 2015 02:04
Tumble calculation for engine port vismech1 Main CFD Forum 0 March 11, 2014 05:45
Swirl und tumble number sven82 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 0 November 11, 2009 11:30
Swirl and Tumble Ratios in IC Chamber - Turbulence Hussam FLUENT 0 March 6, 2009 23:41


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16.