CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > Siemens > STAR-CCM+

Mesh refinement in StarCCM+

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   May 9, 2018, 06:24
Default Mesh refinement in StarCCM+
  #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 10
saddam is on a distinguished road
Hi Team,

I have been doing meshing in star-ccm+, I just need to know is there anyway to create a finer mesh in region something like sphere of influence in CFX.
saddam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 9, 2018, 17:17
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Matt
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 914
Rep Power: 15
fluid23 is on a distinguished road
Not being familiar with sphere of influence, I don't know for sure. However, there are all kinds of ways to refine mesh.

1. Wake Refinement - This allows you to pick body surfaces and specify some parameters which will automatically create a refinement in the wake of your body.

2. Field Function Refinement - This allows you to refine mesh based on the value of some variable (like TKE for example).

3. Global Refinement - This allows you to split all the cells in your continua. (Usually not a good choice).

4. Volumetric Control - This allows you to define an input part (this could be a sphere if you want) that will require all cells within it to meet certain criteria that deviate from the region or part based mesh controls.

There are probably other options, but these are the main 4 (in my experience). The user manual will have all the info you need on how to setup and use these options.
fluid23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 10, 2018, 05:18
Default Refinement mesh
  #3
New Member
 
vito
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 6
vitome is on a distinguished road
Hi, I use 2 way to do that:
-You can create 2 mesh continuum to use in different region( one of those is the finer one).
-You can use volume shapes to refine 1 particoular region (in that case remember to customize the surface size in the boundary)
vitome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 10, 2018, 10:57
Default
  #4
Member
 
fa
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 10
yamifm0f is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid23 View Post
Not being familiar with sphere of influence, I don't know for sure. However, there are all kinds of ways to refine mesh.

1. Wake Refinement - This allows you to pick body surfaces and specify some parameters which will automatically create a refinement in the wake of your body.

2. Field Function Refinement - This allows you to refine mesh based on the value of some variable (like TKE for example).

3. Global Refinement - This allows you to split all the cells in your continua. (Usually not a good choice).

4. Volumetric Control - This allows you to define an input part (this could be a sphere if you want) that will require all cells within it to meet certain criteria that deviate from the region or part based mesh controls.

There are probably other options, but these are the main 4 (in my experience). The user manual will have all the info you need on how to setup and use these options.
I have both used 2 and 4 for a local mesh refinement but for some reason when I want to go below 1E-6 the code does not respond to my criteria and gives me a different value. I am having difficulty with them and my only choice is the global refinement but I would rather not use it.
yamifm0f is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 11, 2018, 10:25
Default Surface size mesh
  #5
New Member
 
vito
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 6
vitome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamifm0f View Post
I have both used 2 and 4 for a local mesh refinement but for some reason when I want to go below 1E-6 the code does not respond to my criteria and gives me a different value. I am having difficulty with them and my only choice is the global refinement but I would rather not use it.
Did you refine the surface mesh in each Boundary?
vitome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 22, 2018, 11:31
Default
  #6
Member
 
fa
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 10
yamifm0f is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitome View Post
Did you refine the surface mesh in each Boundary?
No, I do not select each boundary. I do the mesh for all of them together.
yamifm0f is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 5, 2020, 11:16
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
MA
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 163
Rep Power: 4
mazhar16823 is on a distinguished road
However, I see that Wake Refinement in the custom control does not allow to pick a surface or any input part in my case. I don't know why. Also, I see that it asks for the ''distance'' and reference area which I am not sure about. Any idea?
mazhar16823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 7, 2020, 16:36
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Lucky
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 4,847
Rep Power: 57
LuckyTran has a spectacular aura aboutLuckyTran has a spectacular aura aboutLuckyTran has a spectacular aura about
If you want to change the mesh size in a geometric region such as a sphere, then use a volumetric control (in the mesher settings). Create a part representing the region you want to control and you can supply this to the volumetric control.
LuckyTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 7, 2020, 16:44
Default
  #9
Senior Member
 
MA
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 163
Rep Power: 4
mazhar16823 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTran View Post
If you want to change the mesh size in a geometric region such as a sphere, then use a volumetric control (in the mesher settings). Create a part representing the region you want to control and you can supply this to the volumetric control.
As I had two parts under Parts node i.e. my blade geometry and domain so I have united them to further split by part. Now when I do volumetric control I see that I can pick both as one part not the geometry separately. However, I want to refine the blade not the domain.
mazhar16823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
mesh refinement study, meshing 3d, sphere of influence

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[snappyHexMesh] snappyHexMesh sticking point natty_king OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 10 August 5, 2019 19:18
y+ = 1 boundary layer mesh with snappyHexMesh Arzed23 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 1 July 10, 2019 08:56
[snappyHexMesh] Edge Refinement fracasce OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 3 December 2, 2017 13:30
[snappyHexMesh] Creating very fine, high accuracy mesh with snappyHexMesh JD_Welch OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 9 November 17, 2017 00:46
[snappyHexMesh] Disturbance in the mesh after the addition of layers Dorian1504 OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 0 June 13, 2017 02:27


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:33.