CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[ANSYS Meshing] How to align nodes in straight (vertical) lines

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 23, 2014, 03:07
Default How to align nodes in straight (vertical) lines
  #1
New Member
 
Judith Richter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 3
Judith is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I am fairly new to ANSYS and just started to set up a simulation to calculate the flow through a (micro) de Laval nozzle. My goal is to post process some boundary layer parameters. That is why I would prefere if the nodes were aligned in straight vertical lines, i.e. that all nodes connected in y direction exhibit the same x coordinate. By default, ICEM proposes a mesh as attached.

Does anybody of you know if ICEM features such a mesh manipulation? So far, I didn't even find a clue how to do so.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example.jpg (23.7 KB, 27 views)
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 24, 2014, 07:22
Default
  #2
New Member
 
Vimalraj
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 5
vimaero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith View Post
Hello,

I am fairly new to ANSYS and just started to set up a simulation to calculate the flow through a (micro) de Laval nozzle. My goal is to post process some boundary layer parameters. That is why I would prefere if the nodes were aligned in straight vertical lines, i.e. that all nodes connected in y direction exhibit the same x coordinate. By default, ICEM proposes a mesh as attached.

Does anybody of you know if ICEM features such a mesh manipulation? So far, I didn't even find a clue how to do so.

Thank you!
is there any particular reason why you want such a grid? You will loose the orthogonality of the grid cells if you create a straight grid lines.
vimaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 24, 2014, 12:56
Default
  #3
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,130
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 42
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith View Post
Hello,

I am fairly new to ANSYS and just started to set up a simulation to calculate the flow through a (micro) de Laval nozzle. My goal is to post process some boundary layer parameters. That is why I would prefere if the nodes were aligned in straight vertical lines, i.e. that all nodes connected in y direction exhibit the same x coordinate. By default, ICEM proposes a mesh as attached.

Does anybody of you know if ICEM features such a mesh manipulation? So far, I didn't even find a clue how to do so.

Thank you!
For boundary layer parameters you don't grid to be aligned in y direction (same X location)... And I am sure it is default behaviour of ICEM CFD
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 25, 2014, 03:43
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Judith Richter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 3
Judith is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your replies, seems like ICEM does not have this option... Looks like I cannot avoid programming a post processing tool to interpolate my boundary layer parameters
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 25, 2014, 04:37
Default
  #5
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,130
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 42
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith View Post
Thank you for your replies, seems like ICEM does not have this option... Looks like I cannot avoid programming a post processing tool to interpolate my boundary layer parameters

Why you want to programm it???. It will automatically give you averaged values on the location you specify...
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 25, 2014, 04:55
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Judith Richter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 3
Judith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
Why you want to programm it???. It will automatically give you averaged values on the location you specify...
Is there a function in CFX post? As I said I am new to this topic... Thank you
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
icem, nodes, straight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorial of how to plot residuals ! wolle1982 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 132 May 20, 2016 09:28
blockmesh arc, no curves, no arc, only straight lines heavy_user OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 2 July 27, 2013 05:11
Plotting Residuals ata OpenFOAM 12 July 8, 2011 02:50
meshing F1 front wing Steve FLUENT 0 April 17, 2003 12:37
CFX4.3 -build analysis form Chie Min CFX 5 July 12, 2001 23:19


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:16.