Links - Online Books & Guides
Here are a few web-pages that contain introductions to CFD. You can also find a lot of ppt presentations and pdf documents with CFD introductions by
searching on Google
- CFD-Wiki Introduction to CFD
- A growing section of CFD-Wiki covering the basics of what CFD is.
- Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics, by CHAM
- A nice introduction to CFD by CHAM - the makers of the CFD code Phoenics.
Gives a brief overview of what CFD is, what it can be used for and when it
can be be trusted. The page ends with some promotion of their codes.
- CFD 101, by Flow Science
- Introductory texts covering many CFD topics. Editor is Dr. C. W. (Tony) Hirt, founder of Flow Science.
Well written but mixed up
with a lot of promotion of their code Flow3D. If you are interested in free-surface
simulations you should definitely visit this site.
Here are a few downloadable and printable CFD related books that we have found out there.
- Using Computational Fluid Dynamics
- An introductory CFD book by C. T. Shaw. Available in full text directly
online. The book is a bit old. It was written 1992.
- Numerical methods for 1D compressible flows
- An interactive book by M.Manzini, A.Ticca, G.Zanetti
- Lectures on Computational Fluid Dynamics
- UC Berkeley E266A course notes by P. Colella and E.G. Puckett.
- Numerical Recipes
- This classical book is now available directly online in both C and Fortran
versions! There is also a lot of additional information here - recommended!
- Applied Computational Aerodynamics Text
- An electronic version of the class notes for a course in Applied Computational
Aerodynamics taught by Professor Mason at Virginia Polytech. A mix of pre-CFD stuff and CFD.
- Solution Methods in Computational Fluid Dynamics
- By Thomas H. Pulliam. Based on notes from a VKI lecture series in 1986.
- Turbulence Models and Their
Application to Complex Flows, by R. H. Nichols
- A very nice book that contains a fairly complete overview of RANS and LES turbulence models.
More than 200 pages long. Also contains chapters on wall functions and transition prediction.
We just found this book, but after a quick look it seems very interesting (Jan 2012).
- This is like YouTube for books and documents. You can find a lot of full-text books here.
To get an idea of what you can find here try to search for free engineering books on:
computational fluid dynamics or
- Google Books
- You can search for:
computational fluid dynamics or
You can not find a lot of full-text books here.
Best Practice Guidelines
- MARNET-CFD Best Practice Guidelines for Marine Applications of CFD
- A very good publication from MARNET-CFD. The 86-page guide covers most
important areas of CFD and is a must read for anyone working with CFD. Freely
available online as a pdf file. Highly recommended!
- NPARC Alliance Tutorial on CFD Verification and Validation
- A document put together by the people behind the Wind-US CFD code.
- Best Practive Guideline for the CFD Simulation of Flows in the Urban Environment
- A document published by
Cost Action 732, a project funded by the European
- NAFEMS: CFD Analysis - Guidance for Good Practice
- A fairly short document published by NAFEMS. They also publish the
General Guidelines for Good Convergence in Computational Fluid Dynamics
which is a bit longer.
- CFD-Wiki Best Practise Guidelines
- A growing section of CFD-Wiki focused on creating best-practise guidelines for various applications areas.
- ERCOFTAC Best Practice Guidelines
- The first and still one of the best CFD best practice guidelines. Costs money, but we will link it anyway because it is good.
Guides to Fluid-Dynamics and Aerodynamics
- NASA's Beginner's
Guide to Aerodynamics
- A huge site with lots of information on aerodynamics. Includes many interactive
java scripts. You can also find links to other sites. This is a very nice
introductory site. Highly recommended!
- Videos About Fluid Dynamics
- Don't miss these excellent classical videos about fluid dynamics. They were created by Ascher Shapiro at MIT back in 1961.
- Aerodynamics for Students
- A very nice web textbook on aerodynamics.
- Applied Aerodynamics: A Digital Textbook
- A limited demo-version is freely available. By Ilan Kroo.
- NIA CFD Seminars
- Several very nice CFD seminars from the National Institute of Aerospace (NIA). If you are interested in CFD numerics then these seminars are fun to watch!
- A wiki started in 2005. The content is free and is written collaboratively by visitors of CFD Online. In early 2012 CFD-Wiki had more than 7,000 registered authors, working on more than 400 CFD articles. CFD-Wiki will hopefully become the new free ultimate online CFD reference.
- The Engineering Toolbox, Fluid Mechanics
- Basic information about many concepts in fluid dynamics. Also some online tools to compute things.
A bit full of advertising and not always as detailed as you want. Still a resource that might have
just what you want.
- Wikipedia CFD Section
- A growing online encyclopedia about CFD. Visitors add the content themselves.
Perhaps Wikipedia will become the future standard reference for everything?!
- Eric Weisstein's World of Physics
- A wealth of reference information about physics. Also has a very complete
math section. This encyclopedia of science is one of the most impressing
works of a single individual that I've ever seen on the internet. Everyone
working in a field related to science should have this site bookmarked. Highly