CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLUENT

periodic boundaries

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Chavagnatze
  • 1 Post By AbolfazlJalalabadi

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 21, 2005, 04:52
Default periodic boundaries
  #1
Mary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I want to define two rotational periodic boundaries (the angle between them is 180°). They are identically (equal number of faces, equal geometry).

/grid/modify-zones> make-periodic Periodic zone [()] 5 Shadow zone [()] 7 Rotational periodic? (if no, translational) [yes] yes Create periodic zones? [yes] yes

zone 5: matched 13596 out of 15234 faces. zone 7: matched 13596 out of 15234 faces.

Error: Failed to make zones periodic. Error Object: #f

Can someone help me ??
  Reply With Quote

Old   September 26, 2005, 14:13
Default Re: periodic boundaries
  #2
KHAN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
can u specify the details of the geometry, then we can discuss about the problem - thanks!

  Reply With Quote

Old   February 25, 2012, 07:18
Default Re
  #3
Senior Member
 
mohamed khedr emam
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Egypt
Posts: 120
Rep Power: 5
m5edr is on a distinguished road
I'm now face the same problem
could any one pls, tell me how to fix this problem
m5edr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 16, 2012, 14:29
Question Re: periodic boundaries
  #4
New Member
 
Dan Barnett
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
dbarnett is on a distinguished road
Has anyone determined a solution to this problem in Fluent? I also am working on simulations that require rotational periodicy. Occasionally I am able to create the periodic zones, but sometimes I receive the errors: "Error: Failed to make zones periodic. Error Object: #f"

I believe that I am not doing anything different when I create the periodic zone successfully. I am always ensuring that the rotational axis is aligned with the z-axis of the geometry and I am using match control in meshing for the two faces of the periodic zone. Any ideas of what may casue this?
dbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 16, 2012, 23:20
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
mohamed khedr emam
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Egypt
Posts: 120
Rep Power: 5
m5edr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnett View Post
Has anyone determined a solution to this problem in Fluent? I also am working on simulations that require rotational periodicy. Occasionally I am able to create the periodic zones, but sometimes I receive the errors: "Error: Failed to make zones periodic. Error Object: #f"

I believe that I am not doing anything different when I create the periodic zone successfully. I am always ensuring that the rotational axis is aligned with the z-axis of the geometry and I am using match control in meshing for the two faces of the periodic zone. Any ideas of what may casue this?
yes i solved it before,
Type in Fluent command Window
>Mesh
>mp if doesn't work try to type the following and change number
>Mesh
>Mz
>Mt "change value (limit is 0.5)"
m5edr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 17, 2012, 23:39
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Snail
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
evswbok is on a distinguished road
i faced the same problem. maybe u shoud make periodic in your meshing software ,then export the grid,at last import into FLUENT、、、、、、、which meshing software you are useing??ICEM CFD can do it.
evswbok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 14, 2012, 04:46
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Chavagnatze's Avatar
 
Kyle Morse
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Georgia Southern University
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
Chavagnatze is on a distinguished road
*I know I am late but, you must have the axis of rotation in the global z-direction for rotational periodicity. It may also be true that translational periodicity must be orthogonal across z as well.

Use /mesh/rotate in the interpreter and set your point of origin and axis of mesh rotation so that the global z-axis is parallel with the axis of periodicity

use /mesh/mz/make-periodic in the interpreter and move on as usual. You can also invoke periodicity in your meshing software (* Z-axis and axis of periodicity must be parallel) and Fluent should take care of it from there.

If there is a way to make the stored axis something other than (0 0 1) or any other vector, none of the above would matter.
amin.z and Chong070940103 like this.
Chavagnatze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 12, 2013, 09:16
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Abolfazl Jalalabadi
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
AbolfazlJalalabadi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary
;124397
I want to define two rotational periodic boundaries (the angle between them is 180°). They are identically (equal number of faces, equal geometry).

/grid/modify-zones> make-periodic Periodic zone [()] 5 Shadow zone [()] 7 Rotational periodic? (if no, translational) [yes] yes Create periodic zones? [yes] yes

zone 5: matched 13596 out of 15234 faces. zone 7: matched 13596 out of 15234 faces.

Error: Failed to make zones periodic. Error Object: #f

Can someone help me ??
Hi
The default tolerance can be problematic in small meshes

just use the text command
grid/modify-zone/mt
and specify smaller tol's untill all nodes are matched up and then you're good to go
I had to reduce from 0.1 to 1e-6
amin.z likes this.
AbolfazlJalalabadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2013, 03:52
Default
  #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 5
robboflea is on a distinguished road
I was facing the same problem and I solved it by changing the rotation axis on the "cell zone condition" tab. My geometry was rotationally periodic along x axis but standard fluent settings use the z axis as the rotation axis.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rob
robboflea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2013, 06:58
Default
  #10
Member
 
vidyanand
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bangalore,india
Posts: 66
Rep Power: 8
Vidyanand Kesti is on a distinguished road
This is problem of mesh, if you not mesh same cell size and division on periodic boundaries, Fluent through this error, If you want to avoid

1.Remesh,with match control.

2.If it irregular geometry then use periodic interface in fluent ( interface option defining boundaries as interface )
Vidyanand Kesti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 9, 2014, 23:09
Thumbs up wdxgd
  #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
wdxgd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robboflea View Post
I was facing the same problem and I solved it by changing the rotation axis on the "cell zone condition" tab. My geometry was rotationally periodic along x axis but standard fluent settings use the z axis as the rotation axis.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rob
It is useful,thanks
wdxgd is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CGNS import in fluent - periodic boundaries. Bjarne Børresen FLUENT 2 April 25, 2013 12:12
Why can't I make the boundaries periodic? Alina FLUENT 5 April 12, 2012 15:06
[ICEM] Periodic boundaries in two directions jphastings ANSYS 2 November 5, 2011 20:07
periodic boundaries - flow through a net PK FLUENT 0 July 12, 2007 12:58
Periodic Boundaries in GAMBIT!! swetha FLUENT 1 November 26, 2006 23:02


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:32.