CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

problem in DNS in a pipe

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   October 9, 2012, 05:51
Default problem in DNS in a pipe
  #1
Member
 
Hassan Nemati
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 5
hnemati is on a distinguished road
Hi guys
I am running a DNS code in a pipe. For laminar flow I have a problem.
as you see in 2d plot of radial velocity at inlet, there are some strange number of velocity. it should be zero but it is not.
I will appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg export.jpg (42.3 KB, 28 views)
hnemati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 9, 2012, 06:20
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,588
Rep Power: 20
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnemati View Post
Hi guys
I am running a DNS code in a pipe. For laminar flow I have a problem.
as you see in 2d plot of radial velocity at inlet, there are some strange number of velocity. it should be zero but it is not.
I will appreciate any help.
You should address more details ... Re number, number of cells, inflow type ...
are you solving incompressible flows? did you check the divergence-free constraint in each cell? Are you sure of the numerical stability contraints?

From the figure it seems that the radial velocity accounts for the wall and the incipient boundary layer in a very low Re flow with plug velocity inlet, but I may be wrog ...
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 9, 2012, 07:58
Default
  #3
Member
 
Hassan Nemati
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 5
hnemati is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
You should address more details ... Re number, number of cells, inflow type ...
are you solving incompressible flows? did you check the divergence-free constraint in each cell? Are you sure of the numerical stability contraints?

From the figure it seems that the radial velocity accounts for the wall and the incipient boundary layer in a very low Re flow with plug velocity inlet, but I may be wrog ...
Hi
I am so grateful for your answer.
the Re=60 based on friction velocity. number of mesh is: r=30 theta=16, z=96.
Yes this is for incompressible flow. the divergence is Ok. I am using the profile ((Re/4.)*(1.- 4.*(rp(i))**2.)) for inlet which is analytitical solution. I put radial and tangential velocity 0 at z=0 .
hnemati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 9, 2012, 09:46
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,588
Rep Power: 20
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnemati View Post
Hi
I am so grateful for your answer.
the Re=60 based on friction velocity. number of mesh is: r=30 theta=16, z=96.
Yes this is for incompressible flow. the divergence is Ok. I am using the profile ((Re/4.)*(1.- 4.*(rp(i))**2.)) for inlet which is analytitical solution. I put radial and tangential velocity 0 at z=0 .
Ok, are you sure you get a full steady state?
After you have to refine the grid and see what happens, usually the small value in the normal-to-wall velocity component can be controlled. See also your threshold value in the pressure solver, can be to high.
After that, you can check further by changing the inflow/outflow condition in a periodic condition, this way you can check the inner solution.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 22, 2012, 12:10
Smile how strange the velocity is? Can you email me and we can discuss furtherly.
  #5
New Member
 
kuihe
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
kuihe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnemati View Post
Hi guys
I am running a DNS code in a pipe. For laminar flow I have a problem.
as you see in 2d plot of radial velocity at inlet, there are some strange number of velocity. it should be zero but it is not.
I will appreciate any help.
My email address is Mep11kh@shef.ac.uk
kuihe is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Swirl flow in the pipe: convergence problem Sachin U. Nimbalkar FLUENT 4 January 2, 2014 13:20
[ICEM] Using a hybrid mesh for a simple pipe Udio_NT ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 17 October 18, 2012 14:42
simpleFoam convergence problems for pipe flow problem Mike Graham OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 0 January 30, 2012 15:40
Problem meshing very thin pipe B. Hemmen FLUENT 2 May 16, 2006 08:29
DNS to Eigenvalue -> Cauchy Problem. HOW? RMG Main CFD Forum 0 February 12, 2004 06:45


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50.