|July 11, 2014, 17:39||
STL file, Patch addition
I am bigener in CFD. I am using SALOME 7.4 for stl file, which I wanted to use in OpenFoam for snappyHesMesh. I wanted to ask
How can I add different patches in stl file, e.g inlet, outlet and wall for a cylinder. For which later I could apply boundary condition in OpenFoam.
|October 20, 2014, 20:10||
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139Rep Power: 8
this is not straight forward, but it's been done many times. I think it's already been answerd in some other threads!
These are the main steps, feel free to ask follow-up questions when necessary. I'm writing this from my memories since I don't have Salome at this computer - you should get the point though.
1. Create your geometry.
2. Extract the surface of the geometry. This can be done by selecting the geometry and running 'Explode -> to type Surface'.
3. Group the newly created surface facets to patch groups (inlet, outlet, walls etc.). This can be done by selecting the parent geometry object, creating a new group (of type surface) and adding all neccessary surface facets. You should now have a set of groups containing the whole surface of your geometry.
4. Export the surface facet groups to ASCII STL. This is done by selecting the groups only and running 'Export - ASCII STL'. Each group will be written to a separate STL file (triangulation of a single facet).
5. You now need to add the group name in the header of each file (line starting with 'solid', for example: first line in INLET.stl needs to read 'solid INLET').
6. Put the contents of all the patch STL files into a single STL file (single file containing the named triangualtions of all surface patches). This can be done with the linux command cat: 'cat *.stl > surface_mesh.stl'. Check the result using paraview or your favourite CAD program.
7. Start the actual meshing workflow.
Steps 5. and 6. can easily be automated using simple shells scripts. If anyone knows a quicker way for the whole process: please let us know!
Good luck and have fun!
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Compile OF 2.3 on Mac OS X .... the patch||gschaider||OpenFOAM Installation on Windows, Mac and other Unsupported Platforms||225||August 25, 2015 19:43|
|Trouble compiling utilities using source-built OpenFOAM||Artur||OpenFOAM Programming & Development||14||October 29, 2013 11:59|
|funkySetFields compilation error||tayo||OpenFOAM||39||December 3, 2012 06:18|
|2.0.x on Mac OSX||niklas||OpenFOAM Installation on Windows, Mac and other Unsupported Platforms||74||March 28, 2012 16:46|
|Problem with rhoSimpleFoam||matteo_gautero||OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD||0||February 28, 2008 07:51|