CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM

Newer Janaf Model

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 24, 2011, 21:03
Default
  #21
Member
 
桂莹
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 6
yingkun is on a distinguished road
Hi,Thomas
I chang the species temperature rangs in therm.dat file,it works,the only thing is that I need to know whether the result is correct,I'm going to check it...
yingkun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 26, 2011, 01:05
Default
  #22
New Member
 
T. Hoffmann
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
bfisch90 is on a distinguished road
Hallo Yingkun,

maybe you could try to find out, if the nasa database has new thermodynamic data for your species, which are valid for temperatures up to 6000 K.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/CEAWeb/ceaThermoBuild.htm

Good luck
Thomas
bfisch90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 26, 2011, 07:27
Default
  #23
Member
 
桂莹
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 6
yingkun is on a distinguished road
it's good for me,thanks!
yingkun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 30, 2011, 18:49
Default
  #24
Member
 
R. P.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 6
Rophys is on a distinguished road
Hello all,

I tried to use the NASA web site but I didn't understand so much the output.
For example, I choose the element N (atomic nitrogen) and after this I choose N2 (molecular nitrogen). Next step, I choose the temperature range from 273 to 500 K, and I get the following output :

N2

OPTIONS: joules

TEMPERATURE SCHEDULE

273.000 283.000 293.000 298.150 303.000 313.000
323.000 333.000 343.000 353.000 363.000 373.000
383.000 393.000 400.000

NOTE: Thermodynamic properties calculated for temperatures outside the range of
the fitted data may have large errors. This program allows calculations only
for temperatures within 20% above or below the fitted temperature range.


COEFFICIENTS FOR FITTED THERMODYNAMIC FUNCTIONS


N2 Ref-Elm. Gurvich,1978 pt1 p280 pt2 p207.
3 tpis78 N 2.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0 28.01340 0.000
200.000 1000.000 7 -2.0 -1.0 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 0.0 8670.104
2.210371497E+04-3.818461820E+02 6.082738360E+00-8.530914410E-03 1.384646189E-05
-9.625793620E-09 2.519705809E-12 0.000000000E+00 7.108460860E+02-1.076003744E+01
1000.000 6000.000 7 -2.0 -1.0 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 0.0 8670.104
5.877124060E+05-2.239249073E+03 6.066949220E+00-6.139685500E-04 1.491806679E-07
-1.923105485E-11 1.061954386E-15 0.000000000E+00 1.283210415E+04-1.586640027E+01
6000.000 20000.000 7 -2.0 -1.0 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 0.0 8670.104
8.310139160E+08-6.420733540E+05 2.020264635E+02-3.065092046E-02 2.486903333E-06
-9.705954110E-11 1.437538881E-15 0.000000000E+00 4.938707040E+06-1.672099740E+03

.
.
.

According to the User Guide (U-177) Cp is calculated as follow:
Cp=R((((a1T+a3)T+a2)T+a1)T+a0)
and we need 2 constants of integration a5 and a6.

My question is, which of this parameters corresponds to a0, a1, a2, a3, a4, a5 and a6 ? If this website is not properly to obtain this value, there is another reference ?
My apologise for this question, it is a bit long
Rophys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2011, 03:39
Default
  #25
New Member
 
T. Hoffmann
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
bfisch90 is on a distinguished road
Hallo,

the output of the NASA-database is based on the newer Janaf model with 9 coefficients (a1-a7, b1, b2).

a1 a2 a3 a4
2.210371497E+04-3.818461820E+02 6.082738360E+00-8.530914410E-03
a5
1.384646189E-05
a6 a7 placeholder
-9.625793620E-09 2.519705809E-12 0.000000000E+00
b1 b2
7.108460860E+02-1.076003744E+01



Equations newer Janaf model
Cp(T) = R( a[1]/T^2 + a[2]/T+ a[3] + a[4]T + a[5]T^2 + a[6]T^3 + a[7]T^4 )
H(T) = R( -a[1]/T + a[2]lnT + a[3]T + (a[4]T^2)/2 + (a[5]T^3)/3 + (a[6]T^4)/4 + (a[7]T^5)/5 + b[1] )
S(T) = R( -a[1]/(2*T^2) - a[2]/T + a[3] lnT + a[4]T + (a[5]T^2)/2 + (a[6]T^3)/3 + (a[7]T^4)/4 + b[2] )

The official version of OpenFOAM has implemented only the old Janaf model.

So you have different choices e.g.:
- Convert the thermodata (from the NASA database) into the old format
- Implement the newer Janaf model to OpenFOAM
http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Janaf4
- use a thermodata file which is already in the old format and contains the species you need.
ftp://ftp.technion.ac.il/pub/support...mics/THERM.DAT

Thomas


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophys View Post
Hello all,

I tried to use the NASA web site but I didn't understand so much the output.
For example, I choose the element N (atomic nitrogen) and after this I choose N2 (molecular nitrogen). Next step, I choose the temperature range from 273 to 500 K, and I get the following output :

N2

OPTIONS: joules

TEMPERATURE SCHEDULE

273.000 283.000 293.000 298.150 303.000 313.000
323.000 333.000 343.000 353.000 363.000 373.000
383.000 393.000 400.000

NOTE: Thermodynamic properties calculated for temperatures outside the range of
the fitted data may have large errors. This program allows calculations only
for temperatures within 20% above or below the fitted temperature range.


COEFFICIENTS FOR FITTED THERMODYNAMIC FUNCTIONS


N2 Ref-Elm. Gurvich,1978 pt1 p280 pt2 p207.
3 tpis78 N 2.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0 28.01340 0.000
200.000 1000.000 7 -2.0 -1.0 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 0.0 8670.104
2.210371497E+04-3.818461820E+02 6.082738360E+00-8.530914410E-03 1.384646189E-05
-9.625793620E-09 2.519705809E-12 0.000000000E+00 7.108460860E+02-1.076003744E+01
1000.000 6000.000 7 -2.0 -1.0 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 0.0 8670.104
5.877124060E+05-2.239249073E+03 6.066949220E+00-6.139685500E-04 1.491806679E-07
-1.923105485E-11 1.061954386E-15 0.000000000E+00 1.283210415E+04-1.586640027E+01
6000.000 20000.000 7 -2.0 -1.0 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 0.0 8670.104
8.310139160E+08-6.420733540E+05 2.020264635E+02-3.065092046E-02 2.486903333E-06
-9.705954110E-11 1.437538881E-15 0.000000000E+00 4.938707040E+06-1.672099740E+03

.
.
.

According to the User Guide (U-177) Cp is calculated as follow:
Cp=R((((a1T+a3)T+a2)T+a1)T+a0)
and we need 2 constants of integration a5 and a6.

My question is, which of this parameters corresponds to a0, a1, a2, a3, a4, a5 and a6 ? If this website is not properly to obtain this value, there is another reference ?
My apologise for this question, it is a bit long
bfisch90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2011, 06:23
Default
  #26
Member
 
R. P.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 6
Rophys is on a distinguished road
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for this. Again I have two more questions.

1) The file therm.dat only give me information about a0....a4. How can I calculate the a5 and a6 (constants of integration). ?

2) Taking in to account the air data, which line corresponds to high and low temperature coefficients ? And the common temperature ?

AIR L 9/95 WARNING! 0G 200.000 6000.000 1000. 1
3.08792717E+00 1.24597184E-03-4.23718945E-07 6.74774789E-1-3.97076972E-15 2
-9.95262755E+02 5.95960930E+00 3.56839620E+00-6.78729429E-04 55371476E-06 3
-3.29937060E-12-4.66395387E-13-1.06234659E+03 71582965E+00-1.50965000E+01 4

line 1
200.000 - lower temperature limit
6000.000 - upper temperature limit
1000 - common temperature

line 2
corresponds to low cp coeff ?

line 3
corresponds to high cp coeff ?

line 4
corresponds to common temperature cp coeff ?

Is it correct ?

Thanks very much
Rophys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2011, 06:45
Default
  #27
New Member
 
T. Hoffmann
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
bfisch90 is on a distinguished road
Hallo,

In the old janaf tables, you have only two temperature ranges (low and high). The first 7 parameters belong to the high temperature range. a5 and a6 are the constants of integration.
(You could test this by just plotting cp, h and s.)
The janaf table with 15 coefficients is an updated version:
The 7 term polynomials actually include 15 constants. The first set of 7 constants belongs to the 1000-6000 K polynomial, the second set of 7 constants belongs to the 200-1000 K polynomial, and the fifteenth constant is H298/R ≡ ΔfH298/R.

Thomas

high temperature range (1000K-6000K)
a0 a1 a2 a3 a4
3.08792717E+00 1.24597184E-03-4.23718945E-07 6.74774789E-1-3.97076972E-15 2
a5 a6 low temperature range (200K-1000K) a0 a1 a2
-9.95262755E+02 5.95960930E+00 3.56839620E+00-6.78729429E-04 55371476E-06 3
a3 a4 a5 a6 H298/R
-3.29937060E-12-4.66395387E-13-1.06234659E+03 71582965E+00-1.50965000E+01 4

Cp(T) = R( a[0] + a[1]T + a[2]T^2 + a[3]T^3 + a[4]T^4 )
H(T) = R( a[0]T + (a[1]T^2)/2 + (a[2]T^3)/3 + (a[3]T^4)/4 + (a[4]T^5)/5 + a[5] )
S(T) = R( a[0] lnT + a[1]T + (a[2]T^2)/2 + (a[3]T^3)/3 + (a[4]T^4)/4 + a[6] )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophys View Post
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for this. Again I have two more questions.

1) The file therm.dat only give me information about a0....a4. How can I calculate the a5 and a6 (constants of integration). ?

2) Taking in to account the air data, which line corresponds to high and low temperature coefficients ? And the common temperature ?

AIR L 9/95 WARNING! 0G 200.000 6000.000 1000. 1
3.08792717E+00 1.24597184E-03-4.23718945E-07 6.74774789E-1-3.97076972E-15 2
-9.95262755E+02 5.95960930E+00 3.56839620E+00-6.78729429E-04 55371476E-06 3
-3.29937060E-12-4.66395387E-13-1.06234659E+03 71582965E+00-1.50965000E+01 4

line 1
200.000 - lower temperature limit
6000.000 - upper temperature limit
1000 - common temperature

line 2
corresponds to low cp coeff ?

line 3
corresponds to high cp coeff ?

line 4
corresponds to common temperature cp coeff ?

Is it correct ?

Thanks very much

Last edited by bfisch90; October 6, 2011 at 08:51.
bfisch90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2011, 07:09
Default
  #28
Member
 
R. P.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 6
Rophys is on a distinguished road
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for this.

Now is very clear to me the janaf table.
Rophys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2011, 09:08
Default download link is not avaible
  #29
MPJ
New Member
 
Oliver Pasqual
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
MPJ is on a distinguished road
hello everyone,
it seems that the download link for the new janaf table in the openfoamwikiis not avaible now.
The URL of openfoamwiki is:
http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Janaf
can somebody send me a copy of these file?
my email address is oliver.pasqual@gmail.com
Thanks
oliver P

Last edited by MPJ; December 6, 2011 at 23:24.
MPJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2011, 10:08
Default
  #30
Member
 
R. P.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 6
Rophys is on a distinguished road
MPJ,

The new JANAF table is not implemented in the OpenFoam. In your simulation you need to use the values from the old table. The link that you sent in your post there contains both tables (old and new JANAF).

old JANAF: ftp://ftp.technion.ac.il/pub/support...mics/THERM.DAT

new JANAF: http://www.galcit.caltech.edu/EDL/pu...rmo/thermo.inp

Regards,

Rodrigo
Rophys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 7, 2011, 10:06
Default
  #31
MPJ
New Member
 
Oliver Pasqual
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
MPJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophys View Post
MPJ,

The new JANAF table is not implemented in the OpenFoam. In your simulation you need to use the values from the old table. The link that you sent in your post there contains both tables (old and new JANAF).

old JANAF: ftp://ftp.technion.ac.il/pub/support...mics/THERM.DAT

new JANAF: http://www.galcit.caltech.edu/EDL/pu...rmo/thermo.inp

Regards,

Rodrigo


Hi Rodrigo,
thanks for your kindly reply.
sorry for the undetailed description.
The janaf table can be obtained, but the URL for new janaf model is not avaible.
it's the message from the developer that the link will be updated soon(Thx, Thomas)

Have a nice day
Oliver
MPJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 2, 2012, 09:33
Default
  #32
MPJ
New Member
 
Oliver Pasqual
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
MPJ is on a distinguished road
hello everyone,
The downloading URL for new janaf model in the wiki is not avaiable for a long time.
I want to obtain these files, so it will be highly appreciated if someone send me a copy of these file or tell me where I can get them.
oliver
MPJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 2, 2012, 18:45
Default
  #33
Member
 
R. P.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 6
Rophys is on a distinguished road
Dear Oliver,

Just download the new Janaf using the following link:

new JANAF: http://www.galcit.caltech.edu/EDL/pu...rmo/thermo.inp

open the website, copy all the data (ctrl+a) and paste it in .txt file (you can create a .txt using a text editor like notepad).

Cheers.
Rophys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 7, 2012, 09:33
Default
  #34
MPJ
New Member
 
Oliver Pasqual
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 6
MPJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophys View Post
Dear Oliver,

Just download the new Janaf using the following link:

new JANAF: http://www.galcit.caltech.edu/EDL/pu...rmo/thermo.inp

open the website, copy all the data (ctrl+a) and paste it in .txt file (you can create a .txt using a text editor like notepad).

Cheers.

Dear Rophys,
Thanks for you kindly reply and your patient help.
yes the janaf table can be obtained from URL your given.
From the openfoamwiki
( http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Janaf ),
we got:
The old janaf tables uses 7 coefficients and 2 polynomials for a lower and a higher temperature range,and the old janaf tables are valid for temperatures up to 6000 K.
The newer janaf model can be used to handle a larger temperature range up to 30000 K.
But the temperature dependent values of Cp, H and S are calculated with 3 polynomials using 9 coefficients.
so only obtain the new janaf tables has none effect on solving the problem. firstly we should replace the older janaf model source code files, and then compile to refresh the library.
but the source code URL describeds in the install section of wiki is not avaible for a long time.
that is :
------------------------------------------------------
2.2.1 How to install

1.Download and unzip the following folders:
http://www.daten.media-agentur-hof.d...land150411.zip
http://www.daten.media-agentur-hof.d...lich/janaf.zip
http://www.daten.media-agentur-hof.d...ader160411.zip
------------------------------------------------------

also the test case can't be download now.

so if you have the source code file and the test case files, could you send me a copy of them.
My email address is: oliver.pasqual@gmail.com
Great thanks!
oliver
MPJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 13, 2012, 08:52
Default
  #35
Member
 
Ali Shamooni
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 6
Alish1984 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJ View Post
Dear Rophys,
Thanks for you kindly reply and your patient help.
yes the janaf table can be obtained from URL your given.
From the openfoamwiki
( http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Janaf ),
we got:
The old janaf tables uses 7 coefficients and 2 polynomials for a lower and a higher temperature range,and the old janaf tables are valid for temperatures up to 6000 K.
The newer janaf model can be used to handle a larger temperature range up to 30000 K.
But the temperature dependent values of Cp, H and S are calculated with 3 polynomials using 9 coefficients.
so only obtain the new janaf tables has none effect on solving the problem. firstly we should replace the older janaf model source code files, and then compile to refresh the library.
but the source code URL describeds in the install section of wiki is not avaible for a long time.
that is :
------------------------------------------------------
2.2.1 How to install

1.Download and unzip the following folders:
http://www.daten.media-agentur-hof.d...land150411.zip
http://www.daten.media-agentur-hof.d...lich/janaf.zip
http://www.daten.media-agentur-hof.d...ader160411.zip
------------------------------------------------------

also the test case can't be download now.

so if you have the source code file and the test case files, could you send me a copy of them.
My email address is: oliver.pasqual@gmail.com
Great thanks!
oliver


I have the same problem. the link to .zip source files is down. any one can help???
Alish1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2013, 07:22
Default Using Newer Janaf Model in OpenFOAM -2.2.0
  #36
New Member
 
Punit Walia
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 3
Punit Walia is on a distinguished road
Hello,
I am working on a temperature range of 1000-15000K. So i need to use newer janaf tables which have temperature range till 20000K. I have worked using the old janaf tables.. but near 4000 initial temperature, it goes out of range. Please help me to implement the new janaf model with 9 coefficients. I am using openFOAM version 2.2.0.
Thank you,

Punit Walia
Punit Walia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 24, 2013, 07:12
Default
  #37
New Member
 
Punit Walia
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 3
Punit Walia is on a distinguished road
Hi Arvind,
I have to use Newer Janaf model in OpenFOAM-2.2.0. Please can you send me the source code files and the procedure to follow to implement it in 2.2.0 version of openfoam.
My email id is punit.iitb@gmail.com

Thank You

Regards,
Punit Walia
Punit Walia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 5, 2014, 22:13
Default
  #38
Senior Member
 
Daniel
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 8
dancfd is on a distinguished road
Hello all,

Thank you for the data reference. Can anyone identify a technical document reference for the JANAF data for air? I cannot seem to find it and I am uncomfortable citing a website in my paper.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
immortality likes this.
dancfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2015, 07:13
Default how to caclculate/find the integration constants ?
  #39
Senior Member
 
Mieszko Młody
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: POLAND, USA
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 8
ziemowitzima is on a distinguished road
It seems that this question was not answered (but asked several times in the upper discussion).

Is anyone of you aware how the constants of integration are calculated ?

I know that:

H(T) = \int  Cp(T) \, dT + C1

S(T) = \int  \frac{Cp(T)}{T} \, dT + C2

but what is the value of C1 and C2, which is needed for JANAF as a6 and a7 ?

thanks
ZMM
ziemowitzima is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
development, janaf, openfoam-1.5, thermophysicalproperties

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Centrifugal Pump and Turbulence Model Michiel CFX 12 January 25, 2010 04:20
Problems bout CFD model of biomass gasification, Downdraft gasifier wanglong FLUENT 2 November 26, 2009 00:27
Reynolds Stress model in CFX vs Fluent Tim CFX 1 October 7, 2009 06:19
help for different between les model (subgrid-scale model) liuyuxuan FLUENT 1 October 2, 2009 15:25
Grid resolution for full-scale and down scaled model gravis Main CFD Forum 0 October 2, 2009 10:27


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17.