CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Pointwise & Gridgen

extrude-normal problems when creat structured mesh for a ship

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 11, 2013, 22:25
Smile extrude-normal problems when creat structured mesh for a ship
  #1
New Member
 
nigel
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
nigel332 is on a distinguished road
Dear all,

Thanks for your attention first!

I met the problems of "positive skew jacobian" when I try to extrude the domain grids of half of a ship into blocks.

My used one domain grid to describe the ship model with deck, as shown in pic1.
pic1:


As you can see in the following pic, the grid for stern is very sharp, so when i use extrude--normal method to create the block for the ship, i met the problems such as "positive skew jacobian" .


So, my good friends, can your give me some suggest and help me with the problems?

Thank you !
nigel332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 12, 2013, 14:25
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 6
taxalian is on a distinguished road
Hi Nigel332,

Try to split surface mesh in the vicinity of the sharp stern region i.e subgrids. Afterwards smoothen the surface mesh using Gridgen's elliptic solver using appropriate boundary condtion. Then go on with the extrusion.

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel332 View Post
Dear all,

Thanks for your attention first!

I met the problems of "positive skew jacobian" when I try to extrude the domain grids of half of a ship into blocks.

My used one domain grid to describe the ship model with deck, as shown in pic1.
pic1:


As you can see in the following pic, the grid for stern is very sharp, so when i use extrude--normal method to create the block for the ship, i met the problems such as "positive skew jacobian" .


So, my good friends, can your give me some suggest and help me with the problems?

Thank you !
taxalian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 12, 2013, 22:41
Default
  #3
New Member
 
nigel
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
nigel332 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxalian View Post
Hi Nigel332,

Try to split surface mesh in the vicinity of the sharp stern region i.e subgrids. Afterwards smoothen the surface mesh using Gridgen's elliptic solver using appropriate boundary condtion. Then go on with the extrusion.

good luck.
Hi, taxalian,

Thanks for your reply! and i will try as you said.

And yesterday I found another problem:
When I use extrusion to create the 3-D block mesh, something happened as shown in the following pic:

You see the extrude line was screwy. And i imagine the extrude line should be like this:


What is your opinion?

And the teu.iges flie of my ship model can be done loaded here:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=848272
if you like, try it please.Thank you.

Last edited by nigel332; September 13, 2013 at 01:24.
nigel332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 13, 2013, 12:33
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 6
taxalian is on a distinguished road
Hi Nigel332,

I can import the iges file, but the geometry is not clean. Can you provide a better version of this file.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel332 View Post
Hi, taxalian,

Thanks for your reply! and i will try as you said.

And yesterday I found another problem:
When I use extrusion to create the 3-D block mesh, something happened as shown in the following pic:

You see the extrude line was screwy. And i imagine the extrude line should be like this:


What is your opinion?

And the teu.iges flie of my ship model can be done loaded here:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=848272
if you like, try it please.Thank you.
taxalian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 13, 2013, 20:26
Default
  #5
New Member
 
nigel
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
nigel332 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxalian View Post
Hi Nigel332,

I can import the iges file, but the geometry is not clean. Can you provide a better version of this file.

Thanks.
hI, taxalian

Thanks for your reply! The iges file I uploaded yesterday is the file I created by pointwiseV17 by export domin grids in iges file. So maybe you can not open it.
And the original iges file of the ship in iges file can be download from here:
https://app.box.com/s/m7fl8b0chf3guxcl4gps

Try to extrude with constant Y boundary condition please.
nigel332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 15, 2013, 10:42
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 6
taxalian is on a distinguished road
thanks for the iges file, i can import the geometry and let you know about the extruded mesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel332 View Post
hI, taxalian

Thanks for your reply! The iges file I uploaded yesterday is the file I created by pointwiseV17 by export domin grids in iges file. So maybe you can not open it.
And the original iges file of the ship in iges file can be download from here:
https://app.box.com/s/m7fl8b0chf3guxcl4gps

Try to extrude with constant Y boundary condition please.
taxalian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 20, 2013, 02:38
Smile
  #7
New Member
 
nigel
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
nigel332 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxalian View Post
thanks for the iges file, i can import the geometry and let you know about the extruded mesh.
Hi, taxalian

Thanks for your reply! And I succeed with the extrude mesh. But you know it is half of the ship, and I want to create grids for whole mesh by using Mirror tool. But I am failed.

So, do you have any idea about why I cannot create grids with mirror tool to create the other part of the ship?

Thanks!
nigel332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 20, 2013, 13:51
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 6
taxalian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel332 View Post
Hi, taxalian

Thanks for your reply! And I succeed with the extrude mesh. But you know it is half of the ship, and I want to create grids for whole mesh by using Mirror tool. But I am failed.

So, do you have any idea about why I cannot create grids with mirror tool to create the other part of the ship?

Thanks!
Hi nigel332,
I think the problem by looking at your geometry, y-coordinate of your half model does not lie on y=0. Actually they lie on positive and negative y values at the symmetry plane. You need to shift your geometry on y=0 plane. Then try again with the mirror tool.
taxalian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 20, 2013, 19:55
Default
  #9
New Member
 
nigel
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
nigel332 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxalian View Post
Hi nigel332,
I think the problem by looking at your geometry, y-coordinate of your half model does not lie on y=0. Actually they lie on positive and negative y values at the symmetry plane. You need to shift your geometry on y=0 plane. Then try again with the mirror tool.
Hi,

I create the other block with y=-0.1 for example, then it works well. But when I move the new block to Y=0, the new block just missing!

So i am confused~~~
nigel332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2013, 05:04
Default Can you solve it now?
  #10
New Member
 
Yan Naing
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
YanNW is on a distinguished road
Hi Dear,

Could you solve this problem ?
I also got the same problem now.. and stopped at this stage...
so high skew near the stern and cannot extrude well...
YanNW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2013, 09:35
Default
  #11
New Member
 
nigel
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
nigel332 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanNW View Post
Hi Dear,

Could you solve this problem ?
I also got the same problem now.. and stopped at this stage...
so high skew near the stern and cannot extrude well...
Hi YanNW,

I think it would be batter for you to solve your grids first. If needed you can try use triangle grids instead of totally quadrilateral grids.

Then try again.
nigel332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
extrude, structured mesh

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No layers in a small gap bobburnquist OpenFOAM Native Meshers: snappyHexMesh and Others 6 August 26, 2015 09:38
Layers:problem with curvature giulio.topazio OpenFOAM Native Meshers: snappyHexMesh and Others 10 August 22, 2012 09:03
Convergence moving mesh lr103476 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 30 November 19, 2007 15:09
Structured Grid Definition craig shores Main CFD Forum 3 March 21, 2001 15:48
unstructured vs. structured grids Frank Muldoon Main CFD Forum 1 January 5, 1999 11:09


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15.