CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > CFX

ANSYS Workbench on "Uncertified" Linux Distros

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree7Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 21, 2012, 10:37
Default
  #181
New Member
 
Dmitry
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 5
dr-kart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by titrisol View Post
Just updated to 14....
...QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
these are not there in Ansys 13 workbench...
I had that warnings when I ran Ansys 13 on xubuntu 11.04.
But I got rid of it when I used "sudo ./runwb2" instead of ./runwb2.

Still had problem with WB. Known (http://web.archiveorange.com/archive...SQTOMygbxpr5LS) issue with "unable to resolve ...GL..."
And I know that this can be (somehow, maybe) solved with trying to use another OpenGL driver for GPU.

Now I'm gonna try ubuntu 10.04.
Did anybody start Ansys 13 Workbench on ubuntu 10.04.x64 with ATI (fglrx)?
Or is it better stay with open source video driver for ati?

Edit: Ubuntu 10.04x64 + ati fglrx proprietary driver allows start ansys 13 including workbench without warnings. Just add:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
(Further testing needed. I'll write if any)

Last edited by dr-kart; January 25, 2012 at 07:34.
dr-kart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 25, 2012, 11:49
Default
  #182
New Member
 
Coward
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
titrisol is on a distinguished road
UPDATE: Fedora update kernel to 3.0 so Ansys does not work anymore

Switched to CentOS 6. Everything worked like a charm
titrisol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 22, 2012, 01:53
Default
  #183
New Member
 
Sam-CFD's Avatar
 
Sam Mathew
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: India
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 7
Sam-CFD is on a distinguished road
You may find some solution on this page:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/589250

In the responses from the users, there are solutions for computers with different graphics drivers.

Sam
Sam-CFD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 12, 2012, 08:37
Default
  #184
New Member
 
simon bob
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 5
baosr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn5 View Post
I installed Ansys 13 Sp2 on Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit with the Howto of Post 161 but I get the following error message if I start ansys workbench with the above mentione alias "runwb2":

Code:
$ runwb2 

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Ansys.Utilities.LogService ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Ansys.Utilities.ApplicationConfiguration ---> System.InvalidOperationException: UNIX OS version 3 is not recognised.
  at Ansys.Utilities.ApplicationConfiguration.getRunningOSName () [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Utilities.ApplicationConfiguration..ctor () [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Utilities.ApplicationConfiguration..cctor () [0x00000] 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Ansys.Utilities.LogService.ShouldAddTimeStamp () [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Utilities.LogService..cctor () [0x00000] 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Ansys.Utilities.Profiler.Start (System.String profilename) [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Utilities.Profiler+ProfileScope..ctor () [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Core.Locale.MessageObj.Reload () [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Core.Locale.MessageObj.SetTranslationProvider (ITranslationProvider provider) [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Core.Locale.MessageObj..ctor (System.String lang) [0x00000] 
  at Ansys.Core.Locale.Message..cctor () [0x00000]
I do not what this error message means, especially the
Code:
 
System.InvalidOperationException: UNIX OS version 3 is not recognised.
from the first line.

Have anybody successfully installed Ansys WB 13 on Ubuntu 11.10 and may help me with this problem?
I found a way to solve this problem,Ansys WB use "uname" command to determine the kernel version, so just use a script change the "uname" output

/* Copyright (C) 2011 Intel Corporation
Author: Andi Kleen
Set 2.6.x personality

uname26 is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version
2.

uname26 is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
General Public License for more details.

You should find a copy of v2 of the GNU General Public License somewhere
on your Linux system; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA */
#include <sys/personality.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#define UNAME26 0x0020000

int main(int ac, char **av)
{
if (!av[1]) {
fprintf(stderr, "Usage: uname26 program ...\n"
"Run program with the uname 2.6 personality\n");
exit(1);
}
if (personality(PER_LINUX | UNAME26) < 0)
perror("personality"), exit(1);

execvp(av[1], av + 1);
fprintf(stderr, "Cannot execute %s: %s\n", av[1], strerror(errno));
exit(1);
}

Paste the red script in a new file"uname26.c".
Compiled with:gcc -o uname26 uname26.c
run WB by: ./uname26 /ansys_inc/v140/Framework/bin/Linux64/runwb2
Then we can run WB in a
kernel 3.* linux.
baosr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 6, 2012, 09:27
Default
  #185
New Member
 
Yves Delannoy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grenoble, France
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 7
Yankee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribeiro View Post
Hi Folks

I just installed ANSYS CFX 14 on my CentOS 6.0. I previously installed on dependencies listed in Installation Manual concerning Red Hat 6. NO MORE CCL VALIDATION ERRORS.
Bravo, I've been trying that for 2 months without success, on 3 different computers with brand new installations of CentOS 6.2 x86_64. I hardly get help from ansys support because, they say, the supported distro is RHEL6 and not its clone CentOS6....

I've downloaded all the packages indicated in the "installation guide for linux" in "platform instructions" concerning RHEL6, tried a lot of different configurations for Ansys install directory (network or local), graphic drivers, but I always get an Error (indicated in Meshing and Workbench) when I try to update my Meshing component from workbench, or update all from Meshing. It seems that the translation process towards Fluent files fails. For those who understand french, the exact error message is
"L'exportateur de maillage à échoué lors de la conversion, envoyez vos données à votre agent d'assistance technique"

Maybe the trick is that you USE CFX and I try to use FLUENT... Could you try, from Meshing, to export a mesh in fluent format (towards your homedir, for example, in order to leave your project unchanged) ? thank you in advance to tell the result...

Last edited by Yankee; April 6, 2012 at 11:54.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 18, 2012, 10:42
Thumbs up
  #186
New Member
 
Konrad Linnemann
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
Klinn5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baosr View Post
I found a way to solve this problem,Ansys WB use "uname" command to determine the kernel version, so just use a script change the "uname" output

/* Copyright (C) 2011 Intel Corporation
Author: Andi Kleen
Set 2.6.x personality

uname26 is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version
2.

uname26 is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
General Public License for more details.

You should find a copy of v2 of the GNU General Public License somewhere
on your Linux system; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA */
#include <sys/personality.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#define UNAME26 0x0020000

int main(int ac, char **av)
{
if (!av[1]) {
fprintf(stderr, "Usage: uname26 program ...\n"
"Run program with the uname 2.6 personality\n");
exit(1);
}
if (personality(PER_LINUX | UNAME26) < 0)
perror("personality"), exit(1);

execvp(av[1], av + 1);
fprintf(stderr, "Cannot execute %s: %s\n", av[1], strerror(errno));
exit(1);
}

Paste the red script in a new file"uname26.c".
Compiled with:gcc -o uname26 uname26.c
run WB by: ./uname26 /ansys_inc/v140/Framework/bin/Linux64/runwb2
Then we can run WB in a
kernel 3.* linux.
That's it! Thanks a lot for your help! Ansys 14.0 now works for me on Ubuntu 11.10. The steps previously mentioned steps have als been performed. For me it was:

You need some base packages

sudo apt-get install xterm libstdc++6-4.4-dev \
libmotif-dev libxtst-dev libxt-dev libzip-dev libxmu-dev \
tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev

and

sudo apt-get install lsb

To fix the "GLX ..." error:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

And to get the solver working:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.so.4.0.3 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3

For Icemcfd, some people recommend to install csh (I did not try that):

sudo apt-get install csh
aljazari likes this.
Klinn5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 23, 2012, 16:56
Default
  #187
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 7
alquimista is on a distinguished road
Hello,

The problems with ccl2flow running cfx5solve isn't not resolved for me in some distros.

ccl2flow: * command language error *
Message: getChildList: unable to find the requested path
Context: returned by cclApi call


I nicely installed ANSYS 13 64bits in OpenSUSE 11.3 (not able in 11.4) and Debian. Now I need to install it in CentoOS 6, I have checked the Installation guide and the hints of. the whole post installing additional libraries ir symbolic links.. but without success.

If someone can help me any information is very very w elcome .
alquimista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 24, 2012, 15:53
Default
  #188
New Member
 
Daniel Ribeiro
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: São Mateus, Brazil
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 7
ribeiro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
Hello,

The problems with ccl2flow running cfx5solve isn't not resolved for me in some distros.

ccl2flow: * command language error *
Message: getChildList: unable to find the requested path
Context: returned by cclApi call


I nicely installed ANSYS 13 64bits in OpenSUSE 11.3 (not able in 11.4) and Debian. Now I need to install it in CentoOS 6, I have checked the Installation guide and the hints of. the whole post installing additional libraries ir symbolic links.. but without success.

If someone can help me any information is very very w elcome .
Hi

Would you try to upgrade OS to 6.2? It worked for me.

Cheers
__________________
Dell Precision T3500 (24 Gb RAM) Windows 7
Dell Vostro 1310 (4 Gb RAM) CentOS 6.2
ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 7, 2012, 04:03
Default
  #189
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 6
ginggs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baosr View Post
Paste the red script in a new file"uname26.c".
Compiled with:gcc -o uname26 uname26.c
run WB by: ./uname26 /ansys_inc/v140/Framework/bin/Linux64/runwb2
Then we can run WB in a
kernel 3.* linux.
Thanks!

If you are using Ubuntu Precise, setarch has a --uname-2.6 switch which enables the UNAME26 personality.

Example:
Code:
setarch x86_64 --uname-2.6 /ansys_inc/v140/Framework/bin/Linux64/runwb2
ginggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 17, 2012, 16:27
Default
  #190
New Member
 
renzo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
sedo_5 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone!

I am using Sabayon Linux (it's a Gentoo based distro).
Do you have any hint to solve my problem (the usual: no hostid shown in flexlm and then no license working) ?
I have all the dependencies (at least I think) and the LSB installation changed nothing (even reinstalling the LicenseManager again after) !!

Any help?

Thank you in advance

R.
sedo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 24, 2012, 14:26
Lightbulb
  #191
New Member
 
Christian Cândido
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
christianc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedo_5 View Post
Hi everyone!

I am using Sabayon Linux (it's a Gentoo based distro).
Do you have any hint to solve my problem (the usual: no hostid shown in flexlm and then no license working) ?
I have all the dependencies (at least I think) and the LSB installation changed nothing (even reinstalling the LicenseManager again after) !!

Any help?

Thank you in advance

R.
I got it working in Arch Linux x64 by making the symlink:

Code:
ln -s /lib64/d-linux-x86-64.so.2 /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3
What messages you get running?
Code:
/ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/linx64/lmgrd
Regards,
Christian
christianc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 25, 2012, 11:44
Default
  #192
New Member
 
renzo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
sedo_5 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I don't know why but I cannot run lmgrd file (i've tryed both as root and as normal user, via terminal, no way...)
I've made the symlink you did but nothing changed after a re-installation, the hostid is still not visible (don't know if it's a libs problem)
sedo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 25, 2012, 19:45
Default
  #193
New Member
 
Christian Cândido
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
christianc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedo_5 View Post
Sorry, I don't know why but I cannot run lmgrd file (i've tryed both as root and as normal user, via terminal, no way...)
I've made the symlink you did but nothing changed after a re-installation, the hostid is still not visible (don't know if it's a libs problem)
Are you getting?

Code:
 ./lmgrd: No such file or directory
What Ansys version you are installing?

Try run,
Code:
readelf /ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/linx64/lmgrd -l
And look for "Requesting program interpreter: /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3" or sort of.
Ensure that lib exists.

Are you have glibc installed, both 64bits and 32bits?

Regards,
Christian
christianc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2012, 07:10
Default
  #194
New Member
 
renzo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
sedo_5 is on a distinguished road
Hi christianc and thank you for your interest!

1) yes, when I try to launch lmgrd I get " ./lmgrd: No such file or directory" , I am trying to install ansys 13...am I missing something about the version?

2) the output to the readelf command gives (apart from a bunch of incomprehensible things for me) [Requesting program interpreter: /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3] ; checking my libs I get:
Code:
$ ls -l |grep ld-lsb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      26 25 mag 11.53 ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 -> /lib64/d-linux-x86-64.so.2
I have the same result both in /lib and /lib64 , not in /lib32 ...could another symlnk there work ?
(ps: the arrow should means a symlink to another lib)

3) glibc is installed (both 32 and 64, as in the distro I use (sabayon) there's a unique package)

4) just another note: I have installed (and reinstalled several times to check my changes to libs and packages) the ansys packages with the "-noroot" option, but I had the same problem also when I tried to install it as root...could this represent a problem? (the ansys documentation says that it shouldn't change anything)

thanks in advance
Renzo
sedo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2012, 15:47
Default
  #195
New Member
 
Christian Cândido
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
christianc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedo_5 View Post
Hi christianc and thank you for your interest!

[...]
2) the output to the readelf command gives (apart from a bunch of incomprehensible things for me) [Requesting program interpreter: /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3] ; checking my libs I get:
Code:
$ ls -l |grep ld-lsb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      26 25 mag 11.53 ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 -> /lib64/d-linux-x86-64.so.2
I have the same result both in /lib and /lib64 , not in /lib32 ...could another symlnk there work ?
(ps: the arrow should means a symlink to another lib)

[...]
Hi Renzo,

I'm pretty sure that is a lib problem.

Do you mean in your ls output
Code:
d-linux-x86-64.so.2
or it's just a typo? Recall that must be ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Otherwise, I can't see nothing wrong.

Regards,
Christian
christianc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2012, 16:11
Default
  #196
New Member
 
renzo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
sedo_5 is on a distinguished road
No, it's not a typo !
Anyway, I've just made a symlink with this command:

ln -s ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /lib64/d-linux-x86-64.so.2

Honestly, I don't know if this could represent a problem...let's see if it solves something
---------
EDIT: incredible...I reinstalled the LM and finally it shows the correct HostID!
great!

Last edited by sedo_5; May 26, 2012 at 16:39. Reason: adding
sedo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2012, 19:44
Default
  #197
New Member
 
renzo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
sedo_5 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to write another post...
Ok, the LM seems to work fine, all the servers are running and every diagnostics returns convincing values.

Anyway, I don't know why, I cannot run the applications (of course lmgrd is running in the background).
Since I installed everything with the "-noroot" option, can this represent a problem for the license? I mean, I've installed everything in a sub-folder in my home directory. could it be that some configuration file is looking for the license file in some other folder, and maybe not in my folders but under /usr/local/flexlm (which is the directory where it usually searches for a lic file if installed as root) ??

I've double checked every section of anlic_admin and the wizard...everything is fine! is there any known settings to edit manually ? is there a workaround?
thanks again!

Renzo
sedo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 27, 2012, 08:43
Default
  #198
New Member
 
Christian Cândido
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
christianc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedo_5 View Post
Sorry to write another post...
Ok, the LM seems to work fine, all the servers are running and every diagnostics returns convincing values.

Anyway, I don't know why, I cannot run the applications (of course lmgrd is running in the background).
Since I installed everything with the "-noroot" option, can this represent a problem for the license? I mean, I've installed everything in a sub-folder in my home directory. could it be that some configuration file is looking for the license file in some other folder, and maybe not in my folders but under /usr/local/flexlm (which is the directory where it usually searches for a lic file if installed as root) ??

I've double checked every section of anlic_admin and the wizard...everything is fine! is there any known settings to edit manually ? is there a workaround?
thanks again!

Renzo
What error message you get about the license server? "Server not found"?
Check the connection ports and server name.

Try run Fluent, it show valuable information in its console.

Regards,
Christian
christianc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 27, 2012, 09:33
Default
  #199
New Member
 
renzo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 6
sedo_5 is on a distinguished road
That's what I did, I run fluent (installdir/v130/fluent/bin/fluent).
Since I didn't manage to copy the output, I'm attaching a screenshot...

I also tried to copy the license.dat into that folder suggested in the output and (just to make sure) also in the usual /usr/local/flexlm/licenses folder...nothing changed!

Thanks
Renzo

PS: of course lmgrd was up and running fine
Attached Images
File Type: png fluent_error.png (10.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by sedo_5; May 27, 2012 at 09:34. Reason: ps
sedo_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 27, 2012, 10:19
Default
  #200
New Member
 
Christian Cândido
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
christianc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedo_5 View Post
That's what I did, I run fluent (installdir/v130/fluent/bin/fluent).
Since I didn't manage to copy the output, I'm attaching a screenshot...

I also tried to copy the license.dat into that folder suggested in the output and (just to make sure) also in the usual /usr/local/flexlm/licenses folder...nothing changed!

Thanks
Renzo

PS: of course lmgrd was up and running fine
Have you installed LM with --noroot option too?

Make sure your HostID is the MAC address of your active network board.

Try set LM_LICENSE_FILE to your actual license.dat path as sugested.

Otherwise, I can't see any problem.

EDIT: Try run LM diagnostic at ANSLIC_ADMIN > View Status/Diagnostic Options > Gather diagnostic information and see if you get a Features list.

Last edited by christianc; May 27, 2012 at 10:50. Reason: add
christianc is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LINUX Experts: Help with installing ANSYS workbench faisal_durr ANSYS 1 May 30, 2014 08:07
Ansys workbench problem Jonny6001 ANSYS 2 September 30, 2010 12:59
How can I start the ANSYS 12 workbench in LINUX Ardisia ANSYS 3 September 7, 2010 00:19
ANSYS Workbench on Linux CPUcruncher ANSYS 4 July 11, 2010 09:19
ANSYS Workbench on "Certified" linux distro mechanicaldesign CFX 0 April 16, 2010 01:56


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:25.