CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Installation on Windows, Mac and other Unsupported Platforms

PyFoam for Windows?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   December 23, 2012, 01:45
Default PyFoam for Windows?

Alex Roumanidakis
Vitterfolk is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I'm new here so sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to install the PyFoam libraries on windows? I'm running the windows compatible version 1.5. I'm rather inexperienced with anything beyond the syntax and logic of programming (Haven't played much with command prompt or programming beyond matlab or lessons on code academy). I'm willing to do the research on installing libraries and stuff on my own, but I just wanted to know if linux was required prior to dumping a bunch of time on it. Thanks!
Vitterfolk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 24, 2012, 10:24
Super Moderator

Bruno Santos
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Greetings Alex and welcome to the forum!

PyFoam has been developed and tested to work on Linux and Mac OS X.

AFAIK, PyFoam on Windows is currently only available in blueCFD (http://www.bluecape.com.pt/blueCFD/ - I'm the guy responsible for blueCFD) and it is still very limited, in the sense that most of the functionalities will not work. We haven't made much more progress, due to the current workload we've had since its release nearly a year ago. Public release of the changes we've made so far is still pending internal review and approval at blueCAPE (which is where I work).

Anyway, the main problem is that there are several functions in Python that PyFoam uses that will only work out-of-the-box in POSIX systems, such as Linux and Mac.
For making it work on Windows, it's necessary to search for the Python libraries that can help replace the missing functions that the Python version for Windows doesn't have by default. And some of those missing functions might still have to be coded, in case the external libraries that have been found don't have them...

Best regards,
Bruno

PS: I've moved this thread to the sub-forum dedicated to Installation on Windows, Mac and other Unsupported Platforms
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 11, 2013, 13:23
Super Moderator

Bruno Santos
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Greetings!

FYI, we've finally released the patches here: http://sourceforge.net/p/openfoam-ex...etspyfoam/166/

Best regards,
Bruno

Last edited by wyldckat; July 14, 2014 at 08:06. Reason: updated link to the new bug tracker

Old   July 15, 2014, 06:50
Super Moderator

Bruno Santos
Greetings to all!

I have some interesting updates on this topic. We at blueCAPE Lda (where I work) have created a new PyFoam repository at Github, dedicated to continuing the porting development of PyFoam to fully work on Windows: https://github.com/blueCFD/PyFoam

We made our first attempts to porting PyFoam to Windows back in 2011; later provided our modifications to the official PyFoam version in January 2013, which were introduced into PyFoam 0.6.0: www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-news-announcements-other/87114-new-release-pyfoam.html#post414040 - post #3

Unfortunately, the porting process was very incomplete back then and we haven't managed to pull any more efforts into porting PyFoam to Windows.
Therefore, we've started the project at Github yesterday, in hopes that this work can be continued by either ourselves or others.

The objective of this new repository at Github is to create a development environment for continuing the work that has been done so far: The very first release "PyFoam-Windows-0.6.3.tar.gz" is already available on the Releases page. For installing PyFoam 0.6.3 for Windows in blueCFD-Core, simply follow the instructions provided in the file "README.Windows".

A bug was already fixed today, but 3 are still open. Everyone is welcome to contribute!

Best regards,
Bruno

Tags
openfoam, pyfoam, windows