CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Post-Processing

plot over time

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 26, 2012, 11:02
Default plot over time
  #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 4
fferroni is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to plot velocity magnitude fluctuations at a point, for thousands of time-steps, and then export them, fourier transform etc.

In paraview, I am aware that there is a 'plot over time' function. I select a point. However, I cannot seem to be able to plot velocity, only post-processed values like vorticity. Any ideas? I also tried using beforehand a cell-to-point filter but still no luck.

Thank you in advance!!!! I'm sure someone has done this before, because I can't think of many other ways to estimate fluctuation frequency...

Best Regards,

Francesco
fferroni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2012, 12:23
Default
  #2
Member
 
Amin Shariat KHah
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Shiraz
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 5
amin144 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fferroni View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to plot velocity magnitude fluctuations at a point, for thousands of time-steps, and then export them, fourier transform etc.

In paraview, I am aware that there is a 'plot over time' function. I select a point. However, I cannot seem to be able to plot velocity, only post-processed values like vorticity. Any ideas? I also tried using beforehand a cell-to-point filter but still no luck.

Thank you in advance!!!! I'm sure someone has done this before, because I can't think of many other ways to estimate fluctuation frequency...

Best Regards,

Francesco
Hi
Could you explain me more
can you plot velocity over time or your problem is only about vorticity?
amin144 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2012, 12:29
Default
  #3
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,829
Rep Power: 38
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fferroni View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to plot velocity magnitude fluctuations at a point, for thousands of time-steps, and then export them, fourier transform etc.

In paraview, I am aware that there is a 'plot over time' function. I select a point. However, I cannot seem to be able to plot velocity, only post-processed values like vorticity. Any ideas? I also tried using beforehand a cell-to-point filter but still no luck.

Thank you in advance!!!! I'm sure someone has done this before, because I can't think of many other ways to estimate fluctuation frequency...

Best Regards,

Francesco
What you're looking for is the probes functionObject. Searching for these two keywords you should find sufficient information
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 27, 2012, 01:11
Default
  #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 4
fferroni is on a distinguished road
Indeed.

For reference to others, to extract probe data over time-steps after simulations:

Add a probesDict file to your system folder ( https://unihub.ru/tools/ofservice/br...bes/probesDict ) and run 'probeLocations'

Thank you!!
fferroni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 27, 2012, 11:36
Default
  #5
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,829
Rep Power: 38
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fferroni View Post
Indeed.
It's not that hard to find once you know the nomenclature, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fferroni View Post
For reference to others, to extract probe data over time-steps after simulations:

Add a probesDict file to your system folder ( https://unihub.ru/tools/ofservice/br...bes/probesDict ) and run 'probeLocations'

Thank you!!
Would an entry in http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Ma...Postprocessing have helped you? In that case it would be nice if you wrote one
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 8, 2012, 04:16
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Ahmed Khattab's Avatar
 
ahmed
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 160
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 6
Ahmed Khattab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fferroni View Post
Indeed.

For reference to others, to extract probe data over time-steps after simulations:

Add a probesDict file to your system folder ( https://unihub.ru/tools/ofservice/br...bes/probesDict ) and run 'probeLocations'

Thank you!!
Hi,

i vave tried this method but that is only i got
Code:
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Time = 0

Time = 1

Time = 2

Time = 3

Time = 4

Time = 5

Time = 6

Time = 7

Time = 8

Time = 9

Time = 10

Time = 11

Time = 12

Time = 13

Time = 14

Time = 15

Time = 16

Time = 17

Time = 18

Time = 19

Time = 20

Time = 21

Time = 22

Time = 23

Time = 24

Time = 25

Time = 26

Time = 27

Time = 28

Time = 29

Time = 30

Time = 31

Time = 32

Time = 33

Time = 34

Time = 35

Time = 36

Time = 37

Time = 38

Time = 39

Time = 40

Time = 41

Time = 42

Time = 43

Time = 44

Time = 45

Time = 46

Time = 47

Time = 48

Time = 49

Time = 50

Time = 51

Time = 52

Time = 53

Time = 54

Time = 55

Time = 56

Time = 57

Time = 58

Time = 59

Time = 60

Time = 61

Time = 62

Time = 63

Time = 64

Time = 65

Time = 66

Time = 67

Time = 68

Time = 69

Time = 70

Time = 71

Time = 72

Time = 73

Time = 74

Time = 75

Time = 76

Time = 77

Time = 78

Time = 79

Time = 80

Time = 81

Time = 82

Time = 83

Time = 84

Time = 85

Time = 86

Time = 87

Time = 88

Time = 89

Time = 90

Time = 91

Time = 92

Time = 93

Time = 94

Time = 95

Time = 96

Time = 97

Time = 98

Time = 99

Time = 100

End
no values displayed.

my probesDict file is:
Code:
    /*--------------------------------*- C++ -*----------------------------------*\
    | =========                 |                                                 |
    | \\      /  F ield         | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox           |
    |  \\    /   O peration     | Version:  2.0.1                                 |
    |   \\  /    A nd           | Web:      www.OpenFOAM.com                      |
    |    \\/     M anipulation  |                                                 |
    \*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
    FoamFile
    {
        version     2.0;
        format      ascii;
        class       dictionary;
        object      probesDict;
    }
    // * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
    
    // Fields to be probed. runTime modifiable!
    fields
    (
        u
    );
    
    // Locations to be probed. runTime modifiable!
    probeLocations
    (
        (0   0.5 0.0)
            (0.2 0.5 0.0)
            (0.4 0.5 0.0)
            (0.6 0.5 0.0)
            (0.8 0.5 0.0)
            (1.0 0.5 0.0)

    );
    
    // * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
thanks in advance.
Ahmed Khattab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 8, 2012, 05:09
Default
  #7
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,829
Rep Power: 38
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel ahmed View Post
Hi,

i vave tried this method but that is only i got
Code:
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Time = 0

....

Time = 100

End
no values displayed.
Is better. Use "ls" and look for the saved data
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 8, 2012, 07:56
Default
  #8
Member
 
Eysteinn Helgason
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 7
eysteinn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel ahmed View Post
my probesDict file is:
Code:
    /*--------------------------------*- C++ -*----------------------------------*\
    | =========                 |                                                 |
    | \\      /  F ield         | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox           |
    |  \\    /   O peration     | Version:  2.0.1                                 |
    |   \\  /    A nd           | Web:      www.OpenFOAM.com                      |
    |    \\/     M anipulation  |                                                 |
    \*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
    FoamFile
    {
        version     2.0;
        format      ascii;
        class       dictionary;
        object      probesDict;
    }
    // * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
    
    // Fields to be probed. runTime modifiable!
    fields
    (
        u
    );
    
    // Locations to be probed. runTime modifiable!
    probeLocations
    (
        (0   0.5 0.0)
            (0.2 0.5 0.0)
            (0.4 0.5 0.0)
            (0.6 0.5 0.0)
            (0.8 0.5 0.0)
            (1.0 0.5 0.0)

    );
    
    // * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Hi,
I think replacing u with U, for velocity, will do the trick!
followed then by the ls probes trick

/Eysteinn
eysteinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plot temperature vs time in paraview - chtMultiRegionFoam phsieh2005 OpenFOAM Paraview & paraFoam 2 March 16, 2014 07:50
directMapped problem panda60 OpenFOAM Bugs 4 July 8, 2010 10:23
calculation diverge after continue to run zhajingjing OpenFOAM 0 April 28, 2010 04:35
Convergence moving mesh lr103476 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 30 November 19, 2007 14:09
PLOT TIME vs PRESSURE Parshant Dhand FLUENT 0 January 17, 2003 15:31


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:28.