Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Programming & Development

nutRoughWallFunction and Surface Roughness Documented

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 15, 2011, 05:57

David R. Fuhrman
davidfuhrman is on a distinguished road
I also initially experienced the problem that the same solution was returned, regardless of the roughness Ks, when using nutRoughWallFunction (OpenFoam version 1.6-ext, and a variant of kOmega for the turbulence model). However, after some inspection, the reason was that my first grid point was too small i.e. not in the log layer, hence the code was essentially treating the wall as smooth, as far as I could tell.

If you check in nutRoughWallFunctionFvPatchScalerField.C, there is an if statement that is only entered if yPlus is greater than yPlusLam, which seems to be taken as 11.5301 (I inserted a temporary Info statement, just to write it to my screen during simulations). Hence, if your first grid point is below this value, then the if statement is not entered, and nutw is not modified.

If you want to model roughness properly with these wall functions, as I see it, care must be taken such that the first cell center should be the order of the roughness length Ks. This will ensure that it is sufficiently large to lie in the log layer for a rough wall. Alternatively, this strategy will also (apparently) lead to a wall being treated as smooth, for sufficiently small Ks (and hence grid size).

Cheers,
David
aerothermal likes this.
davidfuhrman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 15, 2011, 11:13

Guilherme da Silva
aerothermal is on a distinguished road
Hi David,

Yes, you are right regarding the Y+ distance when simulating roughness. It does not have physical sense to calculate the turbulent boundary layer profiles where there is a roughness elements.

Below the Y+ that corresponds to Ks, the OF considers/assumes a sub-layer is that viscous/laminar. Actually the presence of the roughness causes a shift in the U+ profile so increasing the laminar region. However, depending on shape and distribution of the roughness the profile may not follow that of laminar sub-layer.

The heat transfer is even more complicated because the increasing height of the roughness will degrate the heat flux due to effect of an additional thermal resistance. This is the reason why the direct Pr_t analogy does not work well. This is the assumption made by OpenFoam, however, there is a need to correct the analogy to take into account the effect of roughness sub-layer thermal resistance.

This fact becomes a real challenge when the roughness equivalent height Ks (or the Reynolds roughness number Re_k=u_tau \cdot Ks / \nu) is high.

See references:
http://papers.sae.org/2011-38-0023/
Heat Transfer from a Rough Cylinder in Tunnel RE=2.2E5 M=0.07

Regards,

Guilherme

Last edited by aerothermal; July 15, 2011 at 11:32. Reason: replaced body by elements
aerothermal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 5, 2012, 02:04

张德胜
hei@ge is on a distinguished road
Hi,friend.I now use simplefoam to calculate windfarm. The ground condition of nut is nutroughwallfunction,but the profile of velocity from inlet to outlet are not fit very well,The max error is about 16%.So i guess it is the problem of Ks and Cs.My z0 is 0.03.Ks=(10/Cs)*z0.Can you give me some advice about my problem.
hei@ge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 5, 2012, 15:19

Guilherme da Silva
Hi hei@ge,

take a look at Tapia thesis...you may find how to make a map of Cs to simulate your terrain.

http://hig.diva-portal.org/smash/get...936/FULLTEXT01

Regards,

Aerothermal

Old   January 6, 2012, 23:52

张德胜
hei@ge is on a distinguished road
Hi,Aerothermal.I think it will be helpful.Now my epsilon's ground condition is epsilonwallfunction,and it works well.Thanks a lot.
hei@ge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2012, 09:42

Guilherme da Silva
Hi hei@ge

After thinking about the problem, I also suggest to you to implemet your own Cs function inside the wallFunction by modifying the source code itself and making a new model customized for your case.

I implemented a new Cs based on Stanford group work (Kays and Crawford book on convective heat transfer) and wall function in the paper:
http://www.ats4i.com.br/en/publicati...11-38-0023.pdf

Several reasons led me to implement that model but the important point is that sometimes you will need to modify the source code in order to get the the code work for you purposes. Remember that eventually OpenFoam was not implemented to run your specific case.

Regards,

Aerothermal

Old   January 18, 2012, 11:45
pug

Tom
pug is on a distinguished road
Hello all,

Would somebody be able to confirm for me from where the equation underlying nutkRoughWallFunction is taken from? Is it the same implementation of rough walls as in Fluent? Or is there another paper/document which describes the derivation of the function used?

I'm trying to choose appropriate Ks for my atmospheric roughness length (r0) following Blocken et al. (2007), but without knowing the basic function used I can't be sure of the correct relationship between Ks and r0. My attempts at unravelling the source code haven't been enlightening so far..., but then I'm new to C++...

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom
pug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 21, 2015, 12:37
Default nutkRoughWallFunction
Jos

Joey
Jos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddalena View Post
Well.. Since nutRoughWallFunction is defined in 0/nut file for every patch, I simply need to define a different Ks and Cs for the patch I want a different roughness... Yeah, that's sound obvious now!

mad
Dear Maddalena,

Do you know how to implement nutkRoughWallFunction in OpenFoam 2.3.0 version? the parameters Ks and Cs are the same, but it is necessary to add a vaule at 0/nut dict. Could you provide an example of the usage of this wall function?

Thank you very much.
cpjoung likes this.
Jos is offline   Reply With Quote