Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 15, 2014, 14:38
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Hallo Diogo,

I am sorry, but it is very difficult to help, when you are not even saying, which tutorial fail.

I highly recommend that you consult the best practice guide placed here:
How to give enough info to get help

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   May 16, 2014, 16:39

Bowlderster
bowlderster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Good evening Zaibin,

Read the second part of the error message. Namely, that you should make the file executable.

You can use the command

Code:
chmod
and for instance

Code:
chmod a+x prepareCase.sh
Kind regards

Niels
Hi, Niels
When I try to run the waveFlume tutorial by Allrun, I notice that the same message appears as Zaibin mentioned. And the question is solved by the above command.
Yet the message is " The file /home/bowlderster/waves2Foam/src/bin/prepareCase.sh is not executable.", but the file is located at /waves2Foma/bin. Maybe somewhere should be revised a little, but I don't know.

After that, Another question appears as attached.
It seems something is wrong about Reading waveProperties.

I am looking for the answer.

Regards,
bowlderster

log.waveFoam
Quote:
Reading g

Reading waveProperties

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
cannot find file

file: /home/bowlderster/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume/constant/waveProperties at line 0.

From function regIOobject::readStream()
in file db/regIOobject/regIOobjectRead.C at line 73.

FOAM exiting

Last edited by bowlderster; May 16, 2014 at 16:48. Reason: attached file
bowlderster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 16, 2014, 17:05

Bowlderster
bowlderster is on a distinguished road
I got it by other tutorials.
bowlderster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 17, 2014, 05:28
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning,

It appears that I had not been testing on a clean svn-repository. I have now added waveProperties.input to the waveFlume tutorial.

Furthermore, I have changed the compilation process, so prepareCase.sh should automatically be made executable.

Thank you for reporting the bugs,

Niels

Old   May 21, 2014, 12:33
Default waveFoam 3D case Gambit mesh crash

Paulo Roberto
p.roberto is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'm trying to simulate stokesFirst waves with a period of 1.1s and height 0.08m in a 3D tank with variable depht. I made my mesh using Gambit and used fluent3DMeshToFoam to import it with no problems, but whem i run the ./Allrun the solver waveFoam crashes.
I don't know if the error is on my mesh or in another place.

Here is the log.files from waveFoam.log and checkMesh.log:

caselogfiles.tar.gz

Could someone help it this??

Thanks, Paulo
p.roberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 21, 2014, 12:41
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Roberto,

The part of the log.checkMesh, which states:

Code:
*Number of regions: 2
    The mesh has multiple regions which are not connected by any face.
  <<Writing region information to "0/cellToRegion"
makes me suspect that something utterly wrong with the mesh. Furthermore, your patch "bottom" has the same number of faces as the number of cells, so if bottom is really the bottom of the domain, then you only have one (1) cell over the vertical. This will be the second thing to correct.

Kind regards,

Niels
p.roberto likes this.

Old   May 26, 2014, 09:24
Smile Sealevel and pd (dynamic pressure)

Zaibin Lin
auaries is on a distinguished road
Dear Niels,

As I tested your brilliant waves2Foam, a problem on pd in 0 file or any result files (I guess it is dynamic pressure) appears when I modify sealevel in waveProperties.input to any number except 0. It means that the pd value is fixed to [rho*g* (sealevel) + calculated pd value] and depends on the sealevel I chose so that I cannot modify the sealevel to any value I want.

Besides, I re-code your setWaveField.C and set the p_[celli] = 0; however, the results of pd shows the same problem as indicated above when changing sealevel to nonzero.

So can you please help me to address this problem that modifying this model to suit any sealevel?

Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Zaibin
auaries is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 26, 2014, 13:04
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hallo Zaibin,

The interFoam solver - and conseqently waveFoam - comes with a reference level for hydrostatic pressure. To compensate for this, the dynamic pressure is finite, if the still water level is not placed at 0. Are you experiencing problems, besides the offset in pd?

You can always adjust the code to take a reference level different from zero.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   May 29, 2014, 09:50
Smile RE

Zaibin Lin
auaries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Hallo Zaibin,

The interFoam solver - and conseqently waveFoam - comes with a reference level for hydrostatic pressure. To compensate for this, the dynamic pressure is finite, if the still water level is not placed at 0. Are you experiencing problems, besides the offset in pd?

You can always adjust the code to take a reference level different from zero.

Kind regards,

Niels
Hi Niels,

That's all problem i encountered, thank you very much. And may I ask you when the waves2foam solver for foam-3.0 will be published? I appreciate that it is a very tough work for modifying original code to suit a new foam. Many thanks for your work indeed.

Kind regards,
Zaibin
auaries is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 30, 2014, 05:49
Default how-to-couple-waves2foam-with-dynamic-mesh-motion

Manoj
manoj_nav is on a distinguished road
Hi Everyone

I am trying to modify waves2foam for coupling it with dynamic mesh motion so that I can simulate boat motion in head waves as per tutorial given at following links,

http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Co..._with_dynamic_

https://sites.google.com/site/jordim...ic-mesh-motion

but when I compile waveDyMFoam I get errors,

waveDyMFoam.C:43:28: error: relaxationZone.H: No such file or directory

waveDyMFoam.C:56:36: error: readWaveProperties.H: No such file or directory

In file included from waveDyMFoam.C:55:

/home/manoj/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readGravitationalAcceleration.H: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:

/home/manoj/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readGravitationalAcceleration.H:5: error: redeclaration of ‘Foam::uniformDimensionedVectorField g’
/home/manoj/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readGravitationalAcceleration.H:5: error: ‘Foam::uniformDimensionedVectorField g’ previously declared here

In file included from createFields.H:96,

from waveDyMFoam.C:57:
/home/manoj/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readGravitationalAcceleration.H:5:
error: redeclaration of ‘Foam::uniformDimensionedVectorField g’
/home/manoj/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readGravitationalAcceleration.H:5:
error: ‘Foam::uniformDimensionedVectorField g’ previously declared here
In file included from waveDyMFoam.C:57:
createFields.H:134:
error: invalid initialization of reference of type ‘const Foam::dictionary&’ from expression of type ‘Foam::volScalarField’
/home/manoj/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/findRefCell.H:57:
error: in passing argument 2 of ‘void Foam::setRefCell(const Foam::volScalarField&, const Foam::dictionary&, Foam::label&, Foam::scalar&, bool)’
In file included from waveDyMFoam.C:74:
setDeltaT.H:37:
error: ‘maxAlphaCo’ was not declared in this scope
setDeltaT.H:37: error: ‘alphaCoNum’ was not declared in this scope
waveDyMFoam.C:109: error: ‘relaxing’ was not declared in this scope

Kindly help me to understand the error and correct them. I am new to openFOam.

With warm regards,

Manoj
manoj_nav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 30, 2014, 12:52
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Zaibin,

I have a couple of bug-reports, which I need to take care of this weekend, so I hope that I will also be able to push a version of waveFoam for foam-extend into that work.

Have a nice weekend,

Niels

Old   June 4, 2014, 00:23
Default waveDyMFoam complilation error

Manoj
Hi Everyone

I am compiling waveDyMFoam.C and getting following error ..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making dependency list for source file waveDyMFoam.C
could not open file relaxationZone.H for source file waveDyMFoam.C
could not open file readWaveProperties.H for source file waveDyMFoam.C
SOURCE=waveDyMFoam.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I.. -I/opt/openfoam211/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam211/src/transportModels/incompressible/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/transportModels/interfaceProperties/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam211/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/dynamicMesh/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/dynamicFvMesh/lnInclude -I./../../../../../src/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam211/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/waveDyMFoam.o
waveDyMFoam.C:43:28: fatal error: relaxationZone.H: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/waveDyMFoam.o] Error 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindly help.

Regards,

Manoj

Old   June 4, 2014, 01:06
Default waveDyMFoam complilation

Manoj
I am following below link to compile waveDyMFoam .

https://sites.google.com/site/jordim...ic-mesh-motion

After I change -I./../../../../../src/lnInclude to -I./../../../../../src/waves2Foam/lnInclude i.e pointing to the right source I am able to compile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_nav View Post
Hi Everyone

I am compiling waveDyMFoam.C and getting following error ..
Making dependency list for source file waveDyMFoam.C
could not open file relaxationZone.H for source file waveDyMFoam.C
could not open file readWaveProperties.H for source file waveDyMFoam.C
SOURCE=waveDyMFoam.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I.. -I/opt/openfoam211/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam211/src/transportModels/incompressible/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/transportModels/interfaceProperties/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam211/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/dynamicMesh/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/dynamicFvMesh/lnInclude -I./../../../../../src/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam211/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam211/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/waveDyMFoam.o
waveDyMFoam.C:43:28: fatal error: relaxationZone.H: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Kindly help.

Regards,

Manoj

Old   June 4, 2014, 21:30

yalong cai
pizicai is on a distinguished road
Hi, Neils,

I have been testing this solver for weeks and it's really powerful in generating wave. by the way, since I know there is a solver named icoFsiFoam that could deal with two-way FSI, I wonder if Wave2Foam supports FSI analysis as well? if it does, one-way FSI or two-way FSI?
if not, any hint if I wanna do something in this part.

Thanks for your attention.

Ellen
pizicai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 5, 2014, 02:52
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning,

@Manoj (and others): The guides on converting interDyMFoam to waveDyMFoam are outdated, as they do not follow the most recent structure of the source code.

@Ellen: waves2Foam does accept moving meshes, so in principle it is possible to use waves2Foam with FSI. I do not have any experience with the FSI-part, so I do not know, how much of a struggle (if any) it will be.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   June 5, 2014, 04:40
Default Encountering Spectrum

Jan Löhrmann
JanL is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

I'm currently working on implementing an encountering spectrum (where the velocity of e.g. a ship is not zero).
Therefore, I introduced the following steps:
1. In a previous step, I generated (copied from the original files, renamed and modified) stokesFirstwCurrent and stokesFirstwCurrentProperties where I introduced the vector "current" and changed eta and U accordingly. This works very well!
2. Afterwards, I generated (copied from the original files, renamed and modified) JONSWAPwCurrent, where the standard spectrum is modified to take account of encountering phenomena (by considering "current" again). Hence the frequencies and the respective amplitudes are modified. This modification works as well, as the spectrum shifts to higher frequencies and is being flattened. The area remains constant.
3. I generated (copied from the original files, renamed and modified) irregularwCurrent, where I modified the argument to take account of "current".
4. I generated (copied from the original files, renamed and modified) irregularwCurrentProperties, where I included stokesFirstwCurrentProperties.H in irregularwCurrentProperties.H.

Compilation is going well, but when setting the wave field, the current is not being considered (the velocity in the domain remains zero). I assume, that irregularwCurrentProperties isn't modified accordingly to consider the introduced vector "current". I attached all files, as well as the generated waveProperties. Does anybody have an idea how I need to change irregularwCurrentProperties to get it run?

I'd highly appreciate any comments!

Best regards
Jan
Attached Files
File Type: gz encounteringSpectrum.tar.gz (10.7 KB, 11 views)
zhan likes this.
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 11, 2014, 05:50
Default local scour in surf zone with breaking wave

kingleli
kingle is on a distinguished road
Hi,
After I have read your PhD Thesis "A Full Hydro-and Morphodynamic Description of Breaker Bar Development", and some papers published in Coastal Engineering and other journals, I admire you so much. Because, my PhD Thesis is about wave scour around structures, especially in coastal surf zone related with breaking waves. So my work includes three parts, air-fluid, fluid-structure and fluid-sediment, thus, I am considering simulate this case using multiphase model (the dynamic mesh have been utilized in previous study, e.g. Xiaofeng Liu).
The wave simulation can be realized by VOF, just like the wave2Foam. Now, I want to incorporate the scour solver using Euler-Euler 2phase method based on the wave2Foam. However, i have no idea how to realize this couple calculation. I am confused about this problem for a long time and looking forward for your reply! thanks.
kingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 16, 2014, 03:18

maryam morta
mary mor is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I used waves2Foam solver successfully and got the surfaceElevations right for waveflume case.
Then I tried to compile waveDyMFoam which worked successfully. In order to do this I recompiled waves2Foam and other softwares. Then I tried to compile the waveFlume case again. But the error below is shown in log.postProcessWaves2Foam file:

Code:
Create time

Reading g
Processing: regularSpectrum
    Processing sub-action: interpolateSurfaceElevation
        - Interpolation range: [10; 0.969063]

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
bad size -903

From function List<T>::List(const label size, const T&)
    in file lnInclude/List.C at line 69.

FOAM aborting

#0  Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam210/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1  Foam::error::abort() in "/opt/openfoam210/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2  Foam::List<double>::List(int, double const&) in "/opt/openfoam210/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#3  Foam::postProcessingWaves::equidistantTime(Foam::List<std::pair<double, int> > const&, Foam::dictionary const&) in "/home/maryam/OpenFOAM/maryam-2.1.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libwaves2FoamProcessing.so"
#4  Foam::interpolateSurfaceElevation::evaluate() in "/home/maryam/OpenFOAM/maryam-2.1.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/libwaves2FoamProcessing.so"
 in "/home/maryam/OpenFOAM/maryam-2.1.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/bin/postProcessWaves2Foam"
#6  __libc_start_main in "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6"
 in "/home/maryam/OpenFOAM/maryam-2.1.0/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/bin/postProcessWaves2Foam"

How can I fix this? I think there were some problems with the recomplition of the solver.
Besides is there any problem with the working of waveDyMFoam and postProcessWaves2Foam?
Thanks in advanced
mary mor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 16, 2014, 12:53
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Mary,

All I can see is that you are interpolating in a list, which begins at larger time that it ends, so the interpolation routine does not know what to do.

Either you have a simulation with waveDyMFoam, which crashed, or you are suffering from the issue with wave probes on moving meshes, which for some reason does not work in certain cases (or on more recent platforms?). This has been discussed several times above, but I am unaware of a solution.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   June 18, 2014, 04:06
Default waves2foam OpenFOAM 2.3

ashkan is on a distinguished road
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to compile waves2foam with OpenFOAM 2.3. I downloaded the latest version. It compiles the waves2foam without any error. But when I modify interDyMFoam -> waveDyMFoam and compile it I get the following error:

Making dependency list for source file waveDyMFoam.c
SOURCE=waveDyMFoam.c ; gcc -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -O3 -I.. - I/opt/openfoam230/src/transportModels/twoPhaseMixture/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam230/src/transportModels/incompressible/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/transportModels/interfaceProperties/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam230/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/dynamicMesh/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/dynamicFvMesh/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/sampling/lnInclude -I./../../../../../src/waves2Foam/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam230/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/waveDyMFoam.o
In file included from /opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/labelList.H:47:0,
from /opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/UPstream.H:42,
from /opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/Pstream.H:42,
from /opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/parRun.H:35,
from /opt/openfoam230/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvCFD.H:4,
from waveDyMFoam.c:35:
/opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/label.H:38:19: fatal error: climits: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I looked for the label.H file and it is in /opt/openfoam230/src/OpenFOAMprimitives/ints/label

I would highly appreciate any suggestion on how to resolve this.

Thanks.
ashkan is offline   Reply With Quote