CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM

Reading in Species for multicomponent mixture

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   October 29, 2010, 06:35
Default Reading in Species for multicomponent mixture
  #1
Senior Member
 
Nakul
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: India
Posts: 147
Rep Power: 7
nakul is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I am using "multicomponent mixture" in my thermophysicalProperties.

I have to analyse a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen. For this I am trying to feed the thermophysical properties of O2 ans H2. But I am unable to figure out the proper way in which this is to be done.

There is no example as to how multiple species are read by OpenFOAM while using multicomponent mixture.

Can anybody help with this?
nakul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 29, 2010, 07:40
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Nakul
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: India
Posts: 147
Rep Power: 7
nakul is on a distinguished road
I think the problem is with formatting.

Can anybody tell me what is the proper formatting to be used for multicomponent mixtures ?
nakul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 4, 2011, 05:13
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 7
G.Maragkos is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Sorry to come back in this old thread but did you find a solution to your problem? I also want to use multicomponentMixture and i can't figure out how to define the species data

Regards,
Giorgos
G.Maragkos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 4, 2011, 13:40
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Nakul
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: India
Posts: 147
Rep Power: 7
nakul is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't found an answer to this problem. I managed to complete my job while avoiding this problem. But I am still interested in finding the solution to this problem.

So if you come up with something, please do share here. Also tell me what you intend to do and I would then give you some hints for solving this problem.

-Nakul
nakul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 15, 2011, 12:21
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 7
G.Maragkos is on a distinguished road
Hi Nakul,

I think the format must be something like this (the values i have put don't match the species). At least when i have this format as input it doesn't complain that the keyword species isn't found. Hope it helps you.


thermoType hPsiMixtureThermo<multiComponentMixture<gasThermoP hysics>>;

species
(
H2
CO2
);


H2 H2 1 32.04186 200 5000 1000 1.78970791E+0 1.40938292E-02 -6.36500835E-06 1.38171085E-09 -1.17060220E-13 -2.53748747E+04 1.45023623E+01 5.71539582E+00 -1.52309129E-02 6.52441155E-05 -7.10806889E-08 2.61352698E-11 -2.56427656E+04 -1.50409823E+00 1.67212e-06 170.672;

CO2 CO2 1 28.8507321 200 6000 1000 3.00140845E+00 1.48694964E-03 -6.08284964E-07 1.23764534E-10 -9.88747461E-15 -9.57600225E+02 5.86975138E+00 3.40031132E+00 4.82825576E-04 -1.06185141E-06 2.42243725E-09 -1.24977367E-12 -1.02994269E+03 3.88888119E+00 1.67212e-05 190.672;


Regards,
Giorgos
G.Maragkos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 3, 2014, 09:39
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Mieszko Młody
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: POLAND, USA
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 8
ziemowitzima is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I am trying to do similar thing, but I have an error,
were you using it in reactinFOAM ?


--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Attempt to return primitive entry ITstream : /home/zima/OpenFOAM/zima-2.1.0/run/tutorials/combustion/reactingFoam/ras/helium_spill_multiComponentMixture/constant/thermophysicalProperties::N2, line 25, IOstream: Version 2.0, format ASCII, line 0, OPENED, GOOD
primitiveEntry 'N2' comprises
on line 25 the label 1
on line 25 the doubleScalar 32.0419
on line 25 the label 200
on line 25 the label 5000
on line 25 the label 1000
on line 25 the doubleScalar 1.78971
on line 25 the doubleScalar 0.0140938
on line 25 the doubleScalar -6.36501e-06
on line 25 the doubleScalar 1.38171e-09
on line 25 the doubleScalar -1.1706e-13 ...
as a sub-dictionary


tnaks
ZMM
ziemowitzima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 18, 2014, 21:30
Default how to define species for nanofluids
  #7
New Member
 
nakku
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 3
dahicocuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Maragkos View Post
Hi Nakul,

I think the format must be something like this (the values i have put don't match the species). At least when i have this format as input it doesn't complain that the keyword species isn't found. Hope it helps you.


thermoType hPsiMixtureThermo<multiComponentMixture<gasThermoP hysics>>;

species
(
H2
CO2
);


H2 H2 1 32.04186 200 5000 1000 1.78970791E+0 1.40938292E-02 -6.36500835E-06 1.38171085E-09 -1.17060220E-13 -2.53748747E+04 1.45023623E+01 5.71539582E+00 -1.52309129E-02 6.52441155E-05 -7.10806889E-08 2.61352698E-11 -2.56427656E+04 -1.50409823E+00 1.67212e-06 170.672;

CO2 CO2 1 28.8507321 200 6000 1000 3.00140845E+00 1.48694964E-03 -6.08284964E-07 1.23764534E-10 -9.88747461E-15 -9.57600225E+02 5.86975138E+00 3.40031132E+00 4.82825576E-04 -1.06185141E-06 2.42243725E-09 -1.24977367E-12 -1.02994269E+03 3.88888119E+00 1.67212e-05 190.672;


Regards,
Giorgos

HI Giorgos,

I am doing numerical simulation for nanofluids.I have a thermophysical properties file that explains thermal properties of nanofluids such as thermal conductivity and viscosity. When I put these values in the file,it gives an error that says "keyword species is undefined". Could you please tell me that how I can define species properties for Al2O3/Water nanofluid?

Thank you.
dahicocuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 19, 2014, 07:03
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
dkxls's Avatar
 
Armin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 10
dkxls will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicocuk View Post
When I put these values in the file,it gives an error that says "keyword species is undefined". Could you please tell me that how I can define species properties for Al2O3/Water nanofluid?
At first, please note that this is a old thread dealing with thermophysical properties for OpenFAOM 2.1.x and earlier. With OpenFAOM 2.2.0 the thermodynamic classes changed quite a bit.

To your problem:
Can you be more specific on what you want to simulate?
  1. Is your fluid liquid or gaseous?
  2. Is it a multi-component mixture?
    If it is a multi-component mixture, do you want to simulate it as a multi-component mixture or can you assume it to be homogenous and assign thermophysical properties for the mixture (like often done with air).
  3. In which format do you have the thermophysical properties currently?
dkxls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 19, 2014, 12:19
Default
  #9
New Member
 
nakku
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 3
dahicocuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkxls View Post
At first, please note that this is a old thread dealing with thermophysical properties for OpenFAOM 2.1.x and earlier. With OpenFAOM 2.2.0 the thermodynamic classes changed quite a bit.

To your problem:
Can you be more specific on what you want to simulate?
  1. Is your fluid liquid or gaseous?
  2. Is it a multi-component mixture?
    If it is a multi-component mixture, do you want to simulate it as a multi-component mixture or can you assume it to be homogenous and assign thermophysical properties for the mixture (like often done with air).
  3. In which format do you have the thermophysical properties currently?
Hi,

I have a nanofluid that is Al2O3/Water. Al2o3 nanoparticles are spherical and they have 20 nm diameter.I am assuming that they are homogeneous in the mixture as a single phase.To be more specific;

1.My fluid is liquid/solid.

2.I am assuming it is homogeneous and single phase flow for simulation of nanofluids in a laminar pipe flow.

3.Thermophysical properties of nanofluids such as thermal conductivity,viscosity,specific heat and density are as a function of temperature.

4. I am using compressible/rhoSimpleFoam solver but, I could not figure out how I would implement my codes(thermophysical properties of nanofluids) in thermophysical file.

If you are able to help me to figure out this problem, I will more appreciate it.

Thank you
dahicocuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 19, 2014, 12:46
Default
  #10
Senior Member
 
dkxls's Avatar
 
Armin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 10
dkxls will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicocuk View Post
2.I am assuming it is homogeneous and single phase flow for simulation of nanofluids in a laminar pipe flow.
Alright, so you problem has nothing to do with multi-component mixtures. One source of errors ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicocuk View Post
3.Thermophysical properties of nanofluids such as thermal conductivity,viscosity,specific heat and density are as a function of temperature.
Well, which function?

OpenFOAM has many models implemented for all kind of thermophysical properties, depending on which kind of model you want to use you have to specify the input data accordingly.
For a list of all models, you can just run any tutorial and change the thermo type to 'XXX', OpenFOAM will then print out all valid thermo types for that specific solver.

Also, here are two examples of how to specify the coefficients for various thermophysical models:
Code:
heatTransfer/chtMultiRegionSimpleFoam/heatExchanger/constant/air/thermophysicalProperties
rhoCentralFoam/biconic25-55Run35/constant/thermophysicalProperties
-Armin
dkxls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 19, 2014, 13:01
Default
  #11
New Member
 
nakku
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 3
dahicocuk is on a distinguished road
Hi Armin,

What do you mean "which function"? I am using compressible solver since assuming base fluid(water) density as a function of temperature.Are you recommending to use heat transfer solver instead of compressible solver? Could you please let me know how I fix this problem? Should I add entire code to create a new thermophysical file?

Thanks
dahicocuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 19, 2014, 13:15
Default
  #12
Senior Member
 
dkxls's Avatar
 
Armin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 10
dkxls will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicocuk View Post
Are you recommending to use heat transfer solver instead of compressible solver?
No not at all! If you think rhoSimpleFoam, i.e. a compressible steady-state solver, is the right one then you should use it! I was just talking about the thermophyscial models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicocuk View Post
Should I add entire code to create a new thermophysical file?
No I don't think you have to add any "code", just edit your "thermophysicalProperties" file according to your problem setup.

As a last hint, I think the correct mixture type for you to start with is "pureMixture", which narrows down the selection already quite a bit.

-Armin
dkxls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 25, 2014, 00:09
Default
  #13
New Member
 
nakku
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 3
dahicocuk is on a distinguished road
Hi Armin,

I have modified my thermophysical property file according to my problem set up. However, I have encountered a new problem that says"keyword equationOfState is undefined in dictionary".IN the problem set up, I am assuming Al2o3/water nanofluids as a single phase. Could you please recommend me how I can define equation of state for nanofluids? Also I am attaching my thermophysical file.


SIMPLE: no convergence criteria found. Calculations will run for 1000 steps.

Reading thermophysical properties

Selecting thermodynamics package
{
type heRhoThermo;
mixture pureMixture;
transport polynomial;
thermo hPolynomial;
equationOfState icoPolynomial;
specie specie;
energy sensibleEnthalpy;
}
mixture
{
specie
{
nMoles 1;
molWeight 46;

}
thermodynamics
{
Cp 3930; // specific heat of Al2o3/water nanofluid
Hf 0;
Cp_f 4318; // specific heat of water
Cp_p 765; // specific heat of Al2o3
rhof 1000; // density of water
rhop 3970; // density of Al2o3 nanoparticle
rho 1090; // density of Al2o3/water nanofluid
k 0.6539; // thermal conductivity of Al2o3/water nanofluid
k_f 0.5912; // thermal conductivity of Al2o3/water nanofluid
k_p 40; // thermal conductivity of Al2o3 nanoparticle
k_boltz 1.381e-23; // boltzmann constant


}
transport
{
d_p 2e-8; // diameter of nanoparticle
feta 0.03; //volume concentration of nanoparticle
fut 0.0003159; //constant
As 1.4792e-06;
Ts 116;
mu 0.001088; //dynamic viscosity of nanofluid
mu_f 0.001005; //dynamic viscosity of water
Pr 6.395;

}
}

specie

{

H2O;
Al2O3;

};
dahicocuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem converting fluent mesh vinz OpenFOAM Other Meshers: ICEM, Star, Ansys, Pointwise, GridPro, Ansa, ... 22 August 26, 2015 17:25
species transport model or mixture model? achaokaoyan Main CFD Forum 0 July 10, 2010 10:52
problem when converting mesh (made by ICEM) using fluentMeshToFoam Forrest_Lei OpenFOAM 11 October 16, 2009 06:28
Redlich Kwong real gas model for species mixture Helium and Argon anandabbai FLUENT 0 May 29, 2009 02:04
UDF reading species data of pdf simulations Jamiro FLUENT 0 June 20, 2001 17:15


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20.