Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ReeKo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 19, 2011, 16:01
Default Face area magnitude inconsistency when exporting

Marco
ReeKo is on a distinguished road
Howdy everybody,

i'm facing a truly embarassing problem when exporting solution data from fluent. I need face area magnitude of every face on an existing mesh boundary.
Having properly read the values in matlab, their sum do not coincide with the whole area value of the same mesh boundary (using report>area function in fluent). Moreover, when I'm summing up the same faces in fluent (report>sum>mesh>face area magnitude) i get the correct value that coincide with report>area!

So, where's the inconsistency? Am I missing something? Could you suggest me another way to obtain the face area magnitude values I need?
As you could easily guess, i need this to prepare some custom post-processing analysis involving area weighted averages. Being this vital for my work, I thank in advance everyone who helps me.

Regards,

Marco
sozen likes this.
ReeKo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 17, 2014, 06:32
Default Inconsistency in face area report cell-by-cell

Srivathsan N
Sherlock_1812 is on a distinguished road
I'm reviving a really old thread because I am facing the same problem now. How to solve the issue addressed in the above question?

Srivaths
Sherlock_1812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 17, 2014, 20:01

François Grégoire
macfly is on a distinguished road
Hi,

It is not clear to me which data is exported to Matlab. But if you are running Fluent in parallel mode, maybe it has to do with the mesh partioning, you may find answers in this section and around: http://aerojet.engr.ucdavis.edu/flue...df/node211.htm
macfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 18, 2014, 01:36

Srivathsan N
Sherlock_1812 is on a distinguished road
No this is a serial run with an axisymmetric mesh. While reporting the surface integral along a surface, fluent gives me the right value. When I try to sum up the face area magnitude of each cell on that surface, there is this inconsistency.

I understand, after some reading, that the latter is done through the face area vector projected in the normal direction. Could that be the cause of this?

Srivaths
Sherlock_1812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area, export, face, fluent, magnitude