CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Open Source Meshers: Gmsh, Netgen, CGNS, ...

MVG with Gmsh for OpenFOAM

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   March 20, 2013, 05:00
Default MVG with Gmsh for OpenFOAM

Felipe Portela
fportela is on a distinguished road
Hello OpenFOAMers!

I am trying to generate a mesh of a MVG like this one: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mse/2011/934982/

I have tried using Gmsh, but the quality of the mesh on the sides near the sharp angle is always very bad. The good thing about Gmsh is that I could easily prescribe cyclic boundaries.

Does any one have any tips for this kind of situation? Or on how to go around this bad cells issue?
fportela is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 25, 2013, 17:44
Super Moderator

Bruno Santos
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Greetings Felipe,

Does it have to be Gmsh? I ask this because if you are going to use OpenFOAM, you can use a few other meshers and auxiliary applications, such as:
Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2013, 04:57

Felipe Portela
fportela is on a distinguished road
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the tips!

Indeed, there is no particular need to use Gmsh, it's just that I am more used to it.

I already tried using snappyHexMesh (with a procedure similar to that of SwiftSnap) but then I lose a bit of geometry detail... Also I got the feeling that the overall quality of the mesh decreases a lot (whilst when using Gmsh the problem is localized).

I will have a loop at SwiftBlock and see what I can manage!

Cheers
fportela is offline   Reply With Quote