CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > General Forums > Main CFD Forum

Newbie question about explicit and implicit methods

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alisha
  • 1 Post By shahrooz.omd

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   May 13, 2015, 12:36
Default Newbie question about explicit and implicit methods
  #1
Member
 
Rubén
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 11
Yuby is on a distinguished road
Hi! How are you?

I have a question about implicit and explicit methods.

As far as I know, CFD solvers get a equation system and it is resolved iteratively.

So, when we use an implicit approach, we have more than one values unknown, as we don't know anything about the next iteration step.

But, if we use an explicit approach, we just don't know one value of our equation, doesn't we? We know the variables of our current iteration, and we calculate the value of the next iteration in our node using them.

So, in explicit method we don't get a equation system. Is that true?

CFD software which uses explicit methods doesn't solve equation system??
Yuby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 13, 2015, 15:25
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,781
Rep Power: 71
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuby View Post
Hi! How are you?

I have a question about implicit and explicit methods.

As far as I know, CFD solvers get a equation system and it is resolved iteratively.

So, when we use an implicit approach, we have more than one values unknown, as we don't know anything about the next iteration step.

But, if we use an explicit approach, we just don't know one value of our equation, doesn't we? We know the variables of our current iteration, and we calculate the value of the next iteration in our node using them.

So, in explicit method we don't get a equation system. Is that true?

CFD software which uses explicit methods doesn't solve equation system??


in principle, you have always a system of equations, actually in explicit methods you have only a diagonal matrix so the system is decoupled.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 16, 2015, 09:56
Default
  #3
Member
 
Rubén
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 11
Yuby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
in principle, you have always a system of equations, actually in explicit methods you have only a diagonal matrix so the system is decoupled.
Thank you for your answer Filippo!

So, why do we implement an iterative solver in that case?

We could solve every equation separatelly in an exact way couldn't we?
Yuby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 16, 2015, 18:01
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,781
Rep Power: 71
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuby View Post
Thank you for your answer Filippo!

So, why do we implement an iterative solver in that case?

We could solve every equation separatelly in an exact way couldn't we?
what explicit method are you using where an interative solver is required?
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 16, 2015, 18:50
Default
  #5
Member
 
Rubén
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 11
Yuby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
what explicit method are you using where an interative solver is required?
I am not talking about an explicit method in concrete terms...

Every book I have read about CFD talks about iterative solvers, not another ones. So, I came to the conclusion that CFD softwares only uses iterative methods in explicit and implicit methods.

For example, in "The OpenFOAM Technology Primer" it is said that OpenFOAM implements iterative methods in order to solve the CFD problems.
Yuby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 17, 2015, 03:29
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,781
Rep Power: 71
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuby View Post
I am not talking about an explicit method in concrete terms...

Every book I have read about CFD talks about iterative solvers, not another ones. So, I came to the conclusion that CFD softwares only uses iterative methods in explicit and implicit methods.

For example, in "The OpenFOAM Technology Primer" it is said that OpenFOAM implements iterative methods in order to solve the CFD problems.

the iterative procedure in due to the non-linear nature of the NS system...

to understand better, start from simple test problem in which explicit and implicit methods can be tested, for example the parabolic heat equation.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 17, 2015, 10:12
Default
  #7
Member
 
Rubén
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 11
Yuby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
the iterative procedure in due to the non-linear nature of the NS system...

to understand better, start from simple test problem in which explicit and implicit methods can be tested, for example the parabolic heat equation.
I think I am not explaining my question in a correct way.

As I understand, an incompressible problem is solved with iterations until it converges. But, every of this iterations contains an equation system which is solved with another iterative method with matrixes. It is an iteration method for solving equation systems in every iteration step of the problem, isn't it?

So,I am talking about the iteration method used to solve this matrix equation system . As far as for explicit methods we obtain a diagonal matrix with every equation decoupled, we could solve every of them in an exact way, instead of dealing with matrices and their solving methods.

What books say to me is that we solve this matrix iterating, no matter if we are dealing with an explicit or implicit method.
Yuby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 17, 2015, 14:46
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,781
Rep Power: 71
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuby View Post
I think I am not explaining my question in a correct way.

As I understand, an incompressible problem is solved with iterations until it converges. But, every of this iterations contains an equation system which is solved with another iterative method with matrixes. It is an iteration method for solving equation systems in every iteration step of the problem, isn't it?

So,I am talking about the iteration method used to solve this matrix equation system . As far as for explicit methods we obtain a diagonal matrix with every equation decoupled, we could solve every of them in an exact way, instead of dealing with matrices and their solving methods.

What books say to me is that we solve this matrix iterating, no matter if we are dealing with an explicit or implicit method.


I suppose you have to go deeper in studying the problem for incompressible flow... the pressure equation drives to a linear algebric system that is part of the problem, independently if you use explicit or implicit methods for solving the momentum equation.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 19, 2015, 07:14
Smile hi Yuby
  #9
New Member
 
Biswajit Ghosh
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Durgapur, India
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 11
Alisha is on a distinguished road
Look, in literature, by a implicit or explicit solver they mean whether the momentum equation is implicit or explicit.

For example, in SIMPLE the momentum is solved implicitly (to be more precise semi implicitly) where in MAC the momentum equation is being solved explicitly.

But no matter whether your momentum equation is implicit or explicit, the pressure correction equation you solve is always of implicit type (because of the fact that it is a poisson equation).

I guess by now you must have understand why you need to learn how to solve system of equation!

BEST WISHES!
FMDenaro likes this.
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 20, 2015, 05:13
Default
  #10
Member
 
shahrooz
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 41
Rep Power: 14
shahrooz.omd is on a distinguished road
Iterative methods are being used because we have used an approximation to make the non-linear equations linear and then solve the linearized system of equations. That's why we use iterations in CFD and it has nothing to do with an scheme being IMPLICIT or EXPLICIT.
granzer likes this.
shahrooz.omd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 29, 2015, 13:16
Default
  #11
Member
 
Rubén
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 11
Yuby is on a distinguished road
Thank you everybody for your help!!

It's clear to me now! I'm extremely hapyy!
Yuby is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Implicit vs. explicit treatment of variables at zero gradient outflow boundaries eltenedor Main CFD Forum 0 February 21, 2015 15:37
Explicit vs Implicit VOF in Fluent MachZero FLUENT 5 August 7, 2013 18:17
OpenFOAM, Courant number and implicit methods fsaltara OpenFOAM 8 December 28, 2012 04:16
Question about explicit and implicit sunnysun OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 3 December 23, 2012 19:12
Implicit, high-order methods for Incompressible NS Dave Rudolf Main CFD Forum 10 January 29, 2007 10:13


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34.