CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > General Forums > Main CFD Forum

Suitable mesh tool for vehicle aerodynamics

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   July 25, 2023, 12:24
Default Suitable mesh tool for vehicle aerodynamics
  #1
New Member
 
Facundo
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 5
finzeo is on a distinguished road
Hi all,


Currently I am doing simulations on heavy vehicle aerodynamics. When generating the mesh, very relevant and problematic topics are: (1) generating regular layers around the surface of the vehicle, and (2) correctly adapting the mesh in areas with small details, keeping a structured mesh away from the vehicle (for better results). I always used OpenFOAM (blockMesh + snappyHexMesh) to generate the mesh, because I have a lot of knowledge in the tools and their capabilities, but I see some inconsistencies when converting the mesh from OF to .med (needed for running in Code_Saturne); I use the unofficial foamMeshToMED utility (https://github.com/mortbauer/foamMeshToMED).
What mesh tool do you recommend for vehicle aerodynamics? Some colleagues recommended me to use GridPro and Star-CCM for these cases, but before managing a license through my institute and taking the trouble to learn a new software, I want to consult those who work in the same subject area.
finzeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 25, 2023, 20:20
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Lucky
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 5,686
Rep Power: 66
LuckyTran has a spectacular aura aboutLuckyTran has a spectacular aura aboutLuckyTran has a spectacular aura about
Star-CCM and snappy both use the same subsurface approach for wall layers so you will not be able to generate regular layers in Star any better or worse than foam.

Star's trimmed cell mesher is almost identical to snappy. The benefit of Star is for polyhedral meshes, nice unstructured ones! If you are a member of a meshing cult that believes meshes should still be structured in 2023 then I can assure you, Star-CCM is blasphemous and you should avoid it because it will never make you happy.

GridPro relies on you understanding where the location of topological defects in the mesh need to occur. If you already having trouble with snappy then I can also assure you that GridPro will be even more difficult to manage.
LuckyTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 26, 2023, 01:27
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Facundo
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 5
finzeo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTran View Post
Star-CCM and snappy both use the same subsurface approach for wall layers so you will not be able to generate regular layers in Star any better or worse than foam.

Star's trimmed cell mesher is almost identical to snappy. The benefit of Star is for polyhedral meshes, nice unstructured ones! If you are a member of a meshing cult that believes meshes should still be structured in 2023 then I can assure you, Star-CCM is blasphemous and you should avoid it because it will never make you happy.

GridPro relies on you understanding where the location of topological defects in the mesh need to occur. If you already having trouble with snappy then I can also assure you that GridPro will be even more difficult to manage.

Thank you for the information. Luckily I am not dogmatic in that sense, but pragmatic, although the choices of my work colleagues influence me. Perhaps the use of polyhedral meshes is a new and good option to consider. The purpose of my question was also, perhaps, to hear about new meshing tools (different from the ones I mentioned) that have emerged recently and are very convenient for this particular use (vehicle aerodynamics).
finzeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 26, 2023, 05:46
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Joern Beilke
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dresden
Posts: 503
Rep Power: 20
JBeilke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTran View Post
Star-CCM and snappy both use the same subsurface approach for wall layers so you will not be able to generate regular layers in Star any better or worse than foam.

CCM+ has 2 different methods for the sublayer. The better one is the advanving layer method. This gives much better results for difficult cases.

@finzeo: GridPro is phantastic when your case fits in. Check their blog to get an idea about geometries that work fine.
JBeilke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 26, 2023, 05:53
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
Joern Beilke
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dresden
Posts: 503
Rep Power: 20
JBeilke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by finzeo View Post
The purpose of my question was also, perhaps, to hear about new meshing tools (different from the ones I mentioned) that have emerged recently and are very convenient for this particular use (vehicle aerodynamics).

I nearly forgot about "Harpoon". It is a very nice mesher that I tried years ago with good success.

https://www.sharc.co.uk/index.htm
JBeilke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 27, 2023, 19:13
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Facundo
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 5
finzeo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeilke View Post
CCM+ has 2 different methods for the sublayer. The better one is the advanving layer method. This gives much better results for difficult cases.

@finzeo: GridPro is phantastic when your case fits in. Check their blog to get an idea about geometries that work fine.

Thank you. Right now I am testing, precisely, the possibility of using the advancing layer method.

The option to try Harpoon limits me because of the need to achieve compatibility with Code_Saturne.
finzeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 28, 2023, 17:05
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Joern Beilke
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dresden
Posts: 503
Rep Power: 20
JBeilke is on a distinguished road
When you can read a ccm+-mesh into Code-Saturn, then it should be easy to import something from Harpoon too.
JBeilke is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
aerodynamics, mesh, saturne, tool, vehicle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[snappyHexMesh] Add Mesh Layers doesnt work on the whole surface Kryo OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 13 February 17, 2022 07:34
[snappyHexMesh] High quality mesh for wind in complex urban environment ziboaa OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 1 January 12, 2021 15:33
[ICEM] Bad Quality Hybrid Mesh External Flow tim13 ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 0 March 8, 2020 02:22
[ICEM] Generating Mesh for STL Car in Windtunnel Simulation tommymoose ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 48 April 15, 2013 04:24
fluent add additional zones for the mesh file SSL FLUENT 2 January 26, 2008 11:55


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56.