CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Community Contributions

[Other] laserbeamFoam: laser ray tracing in openfoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   September 21, 2022, 12:11
Default laserbeamFoam: laser ray tracing in openfoam

Thomas Flint
tom_flint2012 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested in ray-tracing implementations in OpenFoam. We have just released a solver we developed for simulating laser-substrate interaction. The solver is capable of simulating fusion and vapourisation state transitions induced through the application of a laser heat source.

In this work the laser beam is discretised into a series of 'Rays' that are tracked through the domain and multiple reflections they may have. This solver should be of interest to anyone looking at laser-powder bed fusion processes or laser welding/drilling applications.

The code is available here:

https://github.com/micmog/LaserbeamFoam

We are hoping to have the code published in SoftwareX, and have just submitted the manuscript there today.

We hope the code is interesting to the community.

All the best,

Tom
tom_flint2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 26, 2022, 03:29
Default May I ask if this solver can calculate the melting of more than two kinds of mixed pa

nixiaonan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_flint2012 View Post
Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested in ray-tracing implementations in OpenFoam. We have just released a solver we developed for simulating laser-substrate interaction. The solver is capable of simulating fusion and vapourisation state transitions induced through the application of a laser heat source.

In this work the laser beam is discretised into a series of 'Rays' that are tracked through the domain and multiple reflections they may have. This solver should be of interest to anyone looking at laser-powder bed fusion processes or laser welding/drilling applications.

The code is available here:

https://github.com/micmog/LaserbeamFoam

We are hoping to have the code published in SoftwareX, and have just submitted the manuscript there today.

We hope the code is interesting to the community.

All the best,

Tom
May I ask if this solver can calculate the melting of more than two kinds of mixed particle materials? I need to calculate the melting of mixed particle. I would be very grateful if you could help me
nixiaonan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 29, 2022, 16:07

Thomas Flint
tom_flint2012 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

This solver is just for 2 components, the gas phase and a metallic phase that can have the the properties of an alloy, but no multi-component advection diffusion equations are solved.

In the next version of the solver I was going to extend to multi-component substrates like you may see I have done in some of my published papers.

Hopefully Iíll get the multi-component code released in the next 6 months.
tom_flint2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 29, 2022, 23:26

Quote:
Hi,

This solver is just for 2 components, the gas phase and a metallic phase that can have the the properties of an alloy, but no multi-component advection diffusion equations are solved.

In the next version of the solver I was going to extend to multi-component substrates like you may see I have done in some of my published papers.

Okay, that's great. I'm looking forward to your work

Old   November 15, 2022, 08:40
Default icoReactingMultiphaseInterFoam

Quote:
Hi,

Good evening

For the calculation of multicomponent materials, I think can refer to solver icoReactingMultiphaseInterFoam, it can calculate laser melting, but it's difficult to convergence. So look forward to your new solver.

Tags
additive manufacturing, laser welding, powder bed fusion, ray-tracing