CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Installation

[foam-extend.org] Problems on installing Foam-extend 4.0/ swak4Foam on ubuntu18.0.4

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   September 29, 2019, 15:43
Default Problems on installing Foam-extend 4.0/ swak4Foam on ubuntu18.0.4
  #1
New Member
 
Xiangjie Wang
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 2
XJ_Wang is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I have problems on installing foam-extend 4.0. I went through the forum and followed many solutions, but it can still not work now.

I guess the installation got stuck at stage5. I also tried to install swak4Foam on my computer, which someone thought was a solution to this problem. But I also failed on installing swak4Foam

The current system I am using is Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

I followed the installation guide:
https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/I...end-4.0/Ubuntu

g++ version:
(Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1) 7.4.0
gcc version:
(Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1) 7.4.0

my soure file looks like:

alias of7=' source /opt/openfoam7/etc/bashrc'
alias of301='source $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-3.0.1/etc/bashrc '
alias fe40='source $HOME/foam/foam-extend-4.0/etc/bashrc'

I only attached the log file of stage5 because of the limitation of file size. If necessary I will upload the remaining parts.

I have spent a lot of time on installing this foam-extend. I will really appreciate it if you can help me solve this problem!

Sincerely,
Xiangjie
Attached Files
File Type: zip stage5.zip (3.7 KB, 1 views)
XJ_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 29, 2019, 18:31
Default
  #2
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,124
Rep Power: 45
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Wang View Post
Hi all,

I have problems on installing foam-extend 4.0. I went through the forum and followed many solutions, but it can still not work now.

I guess the installation got stuck at stage5. I also tried to install swak4Foam on my computer, which someone thought was a solution to this problem. But I also failed on installing swak4Foam

The current system I am using is Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

I followed the installation guide:
https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/I...end-4.0/Ubuntu

g++ version:
(Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1) 7.4.0
gcc version:
(Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1) 7.4.0

my soure file looks like:

alias of7=' source /opt/openfoam7/etc/bashrc'
alias of301='source $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-3.0.1/etc/bashrc '
alias fe40='source $HOME/foam/foam-extend-4.0/etc/bashrc'

I only attached the log file of stage5 because of the limitation of file size. If necessary I will upload the remaining parts.

I have spent a lot of time on installing this foam-extend. I will really appreciate it if you can help me solve this problem!

Sincerely,
Xiangjie

The remark that these are rather old versions of swak4Foam and foam-extend won't make you happy


A quick fix would be to edit Libraries/swak4FoamParsers/namedEnums/NumericAccumulationNamedEnum.C in the swak4Foam sources and replace

Code:
HUGE
with

Code:
pTraits<scalar>::min
(that is what newr versions of swak4Foam have there)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 29, 2019, 20:36
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Xiangjie Wang
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 2
XJ_Wang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
The remark that these are rather old versions of swak4Foam and foam-extend won't make you happy


A quick fix would be to edit Libraries/swak4FoamParsers/namedEnums/NumericAccumulationNamedEnum.C in the swak4Foam sources and replace

Code:
HUGE
with

Code:
pTraits<scalar>::min
(that is what newr versions of swak4Foam have there)
Thanks for your reply.

I change the NumericAccumulationNamedEnum.C file, but there are still some mistakes.

Belowing is what I have done:
cd:Libraries/swak4FoamParsers/namedEnums
replace HUGE with 'pTraits<scalar>::min'
go into the thirdparty folder and execute 'AllMake.Stage5'


IN the log file there are still some errors about 'HUGE', I am wondering whether changing that one .C file is not enough, I should also change the header file.

CommonValueExpressionDriver.C:2060:16: error: ‘HUGE’ was not declared in this scope.


There are other errors:
'No file 'swakConfiguration'. Python etc won't work. See README for details'
Requirements for Library not satisfied. I see no sense in going on

I attached my log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logfile_5.zip (4.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by XJ_Wang; September 30, 2019 at 17:45.
XJ_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 1, 2019, 04:48
Default
  #4
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,124
Rep Power: 45
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Wang View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I change the NumericAccumulationNamedEnum.C file, but there are still some mistakes.

Belowing is what I have done:
cd:Libraries/swak4FoamParsers/namedEnums
replace HUGE with 'pTraits<scalar>::min'
go into the thirdparty folder and execute 'AllMake.Stage5'


IN the log file there are still some errors about 'HUGE', I am wondering whether changing that one .C file is not enough, I should also change the header file.

CommonValueExpressionDriver.C:2060:16: error: ‘HUGE’ was not declared in this scope.


There are other errors:
'No file 'swakConfiguration'. Python etc won't work. See README for details'
Requirements for Library not satisfied. I see no sense in going on

I attached my log file.

I only see one error and that can be fixed by replacing HUGE as well
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 1, 2019, 12:07
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Xiangjie Wang
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 2
XJ_Wang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
I only see one error and that can be fixed by replacing HUGE as well
Thank you very much!

I changed the 'HUGE' in that file, and execute 'AllMake.stage5' in the directory of ThirdParty, but more errors of 'HUGE' came up, as you can see in the attached file 'logfile'.
THen I replaced the 'HUGE' again according to the 'logfile', then some other errors about 'HUGE' came up, as you can see in the file 'logfile2'.
THen i did it again. this time it seemed good and no errors, as you can see in 'logfile3'.

I don't know how to set the environment variable according to the last sentence of the logfile3.

Code:
 If you want to use swakCoded-function object or compile software based on swak set the environment variable SWAK4FOAM_SRC to /home/xiangjie/foam/foam-extend-4.0/ThirdParty/rpmBuild/BUILD/swak4Foam-0.4.0/Libraries (most people will be fine without setting that variable)
Therefore, I just left as it was. After that, I executed ./AllMake.stage6 in the ThirdParty directory. I think this is enough for installing foam-extend 4.0 on my computer.

THen i install the FSI according to the instructions in https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/E...oam-extend-4.0

But there were many mistakes, as you can see in logfile4. Maybe I haven't install the foam-extend 4.0 correctly in my computer.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip logfile.zip (33.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip logfile2.zip (34.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip logfile3.zip (34.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip logfile4.zip (4.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by XJ_Wang; October 1, 2019 at 21:21.
XJ_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 1, 2019, 14:12
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 9
usergt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Wang View Post
go into the thirdparty folder and execute 'AllMake.Stage5'
When I execute AllMake.stage5 (small s) it traps the directory and a consecutive build after correction of the HUGE problem is not possible:

========================================
Starting ThirdParty AllMake: Stage5
========================================

The source code for swak4Foam is already present under ./rpmBuild/BUILD/swak4Foam-0.4.0
Please remove this directory if you want to refresh your installation of swak4Foam
usergt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 1, 2019, 15:53
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Xiangjie Wang
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 2
XJ_Wang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by usergt View Post
When I execute AllMake.stage5 (small s) it traps the directory and a consecutive build after correction of the HUGE problem is not possible:

========================================
Starting ThirdParty AllMake: Stage5
========================================

The source code for swak4Foam is already present under ./rpmBuild/BUILD/swak4Foam-0.4.0
Please remove this directory if you want to refresh your installation of swak4Foam
Yes it says that you need to delete the folder, which means if you execute allwmake.stage5, all the new files will be generated, and the 'HUGE' problems will come up again.

I think i executed allwmake in the swak4Foam folder,
Code:
 ~/foam/foam-extend-4.0/ThirdParty/rpmBuild/BUILD/swak4Foam-0.4.0
.

I am sorry I just didn't say it clearly. I think I have execute allwmake.stage5 once and the others are allwmake in this directory.

Maybe I executed allwclean.stage5 first and then allwmake.stage5.

Last edited by XJ_Wang; October 1, 2019 at 21:32.
XJ_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 2, 2019, 13:34
Default foam-extend for OpenFPAM V6
  #8
New Member
 
Angel Malaguera
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Itajubá, MG, Brazil
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
AMalaguera is on a distinguished road
Hello community

I need to simulate problems FSI (Fluid Structure Interaction). I have OpenFoam 6.0 installed on my computer. With Ubuntu 18.04. I understand that an extended version must be installed. I have 2 questions: (1) where I get this extended version. and (2) in the case of OpenFOAM V7 it also has this extended version. I appreciate any help

Can I install foam-extend 4.0 in OpenFOAM 6?
AMalaguera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 2, 2019, 14:30
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Xiangjie Wang
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 2
XJ_Wang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMalaguera View Post
Hello community

I need to simulate problems FSI (Fluid Structure Interaction). I have OpenFoam 6.0 installed on my computer. With Ubuntu 18.04. I understand that an extended version must be installed. I have 2 questions: (1) where I get this extended version. and (2) in the case of OpenFOAM V7 it also has this extended version. I appreciate any help

Can I install foam-extend 4.0 in OpenFOAM 6?

As a beginner of OpenFOAM, I think FSI is based on foam-extend, not OpenFoam.

Belowing is the instruction I followed.
https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/I...end-4.0/Ubuntu

Best wishes,
Xiangjie
XJ_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 2, 2019, 17:41
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Angel Malaguera
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Itajubá, MG, Brazil
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
AMalaguera is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Wang View Post
As a beginner of OpenFOAM, I think FSI is based on foam-extend, not OpenFoam.

Belowing is the instruction I followed.
https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/I...end-4.0/Ubuntu

Best wishes,
Xiangjie
I already installed foam-extend-4.0

When run the ampFsiFoam tutorials, for example run/ampFsiFoam/3dTube/fluid$
I get the error:

"--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
Essential entry 'value' missing

file: /home/angel/OpenFOAM/angel-6/FluidSolidInteraction/run/ampFsiFoam/3dTube/fluid/0/p.boundaryField.inlet from line 38 to line 40.

From function Foam::fvPatchField<Type>::fvPatchField(const Foam::fvPatch&, const Foam:imensionedField<Type, Foam::volMesh>&, const Foam::dictionary&, bool) [with Type = double]
in file /home/ubuntu/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvPatchField.C at line 131.

FOAM exiting

Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

I checked the log (log.blockMesh, log.setSet and log.setstoZones) files and they were executed completely. When I see paraView, that error appears

What could be the issue?

Thank you!

Angel
AMalaguera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 3, 2019, 10:49
Default
  #11
New Member
 
Xiangjie Wang
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 2
XJ_Wang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMalaguera View Post
I already installed foam-extend-4.0

When run the ampFsiFoam tutorials, for example run/ampFsiFoam/3dTube/fluid$
I get the error:

"--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
Essential entry 'value' missing

file: /home/angel/OpenFOAM/angel-6/FluidSolidInteraction/run/ampFsiFoam/3dTube/fluid/0/p.boundaryField.inlet from line 38 to line 40.

From function Foam::fvPatchField<Type>::fvPatchField(const Foam::fvPatch&, const Foam:imensionedField<Type, Foam::volMesh>&, const Foam::dictionary&, bool) [with Type = double]
in file /home/ubuntu/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-6/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvPatchField.C at line 131.

FOAM exiting

Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

I checked the log (log.blockMesh, log.setSet and log.setstoZones) files and they were executed completely. When I see paraView, that error appears

What could be the issue?

Thank you!

Angel
Hi Angel,

I haven't installed foam-extend correctly on my computer, so I cannot try the fsi tutorials. Maybe your question need to be answered by others.
I am sorry that I cannot offer any help.

Xiangjie
XJ_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 3, 2019, 11:15
Default ampFsiFoam tutorial under extend-4.0
  #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 9
usergt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMalaguera View Post
I already installed foam-extend-4.0

When run the ampFsiFoam tutorials, for example run/ampFsiFoam/3dTube/fluid$
I do not have an ampFsiFoam tutorial under extend-4.0. Please explain. Thanks!
usergt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 3, 2019, 11:21
Default
  #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 9
usergt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Wang View Post
Yes it says that you need to delete the folder, which means if you execute allwmake.stage5, all the new files will be generated, and the 'HUGE' problems will come up again.

I think i executed allwmake in the swak4Foam folder,
Code:
 ~/foam/foam-extend-4.0/ThirdParty/rpmBuild/BUILD/swak4Foam-0.4.0
.

I am sorry I just didn't say it clearly. I think I have execute allwmake.stage5 once and the others are allwmake in this directory.

Maybe I executed allwclean.stage5 first and then allwmake.stage5.
Clearly, https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/I...end-4.0/Ubuntu is not working for swak4foam under Ubuntu 18.04. My HUGE problem has magically dissapeard after applying the patch but I do not know, if the installation is broken.
usergt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 3, 2019, 15:05
Default
  #14
New Member
 
Angel Malaguera
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Itajubá, MG, Brazil
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
AMalaguera is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by usergt View Post
I do not have an ampFsiFoam tutorial under extend-4.0. Please explain. Thanks!
Hello..

When I installed foam-extend, 3 folders were installed: FluidSolidlnteraction, run and Fsi_40.tar.gz, the latter compressed.

Within the FluidSolidlnteraction folder there are 2 folders: run and src. Within the run folder 5 solvers were installed: ampFsiFoam, fsiFoam, solidFoam, thermalStressFoam and weakFsiFoam.

Inside the ampFsiFoam solver there are 2 cases: 3dTube and axisymmetricTube. I executed the 2 cases, but I'm sure I'm not doing well. I did the same with the other solvers. The thermalStressFoam solver has only one case: flange. With this case, I opened ParaView. That's why I think that in the other cases I am doing something wrong.

Within the 3dTube case there are 2 folders: fluid and solid, in addition there are also 3 files: makeLinks, makaSerialLinks and removeSerialLinks.

I am new to OpenFoam. Could someone guide me:

Thank you

Angel
AMalaguera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 4, 2019, 07:26
Default
  #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 9
usergt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMalaguera View Post
Hello..

When I installed foam-extend, 3 folders were installed: FluidSolidlnteraction, run and Fsi_40.tar.gz, the latter compressed.

Within the FluidSolidlnteraction folder there are 2 folders: run and src. Within the run folder 5 solvers were installed: ampFsiFoam, fsiFoam, solidFoam, thermalStressFoam and weakFsiFoam.

Inside the ampFsiFoam solver there are 2 cases: 3dTube and axisymmetricTube. I executed the 2 cases, but I'm sure I'm not doing well. I did the same with the other solvers. The thermalStressFoam solver has only one case: flange. With this case, I opened ParaView. That's why I think that in the other cases I am doing something wrong.

Within the 3dTube case there are 2 folders: fluid and solid, in addition there are also 3 files: makeLinks, makaSerialLinks and removeSerialLinks.

I am new to OpenFoam. Could someone guide me:

Thank you

Angel
git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/foam-extend/foam-extend-4.0 foam-extend-4.0 does not retrieve anything like "ampFsiFoam". You have to follow https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/I...om_source_code but currently for 18.04 it seems not to be working.
usergt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 5, 2019, 17:01
Default
  #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 9
usergt is on a distinguished road
Just to mention that openSUSE Leap 15.0 (I had to use an old monitor becuase it does not support 4K for installation) - if one installs bison 2.7 from http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...rpm.mirrorlist - provides a flawless installation w/o the HUGE problem. OpenFOAM seems to have it w/ SUSE somehow
usergt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2019, 12:45
Default
  #17
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 9
usergt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by usergt View Post
Just to mention that openSUSE Leap 15.0 (I had to use an old monitor becuase it does not support 4K for installation) - if one installs bison 2.7 from http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...rpm.mirrorlist - provides a flawless installation w/o the HUGE problem. OpenFOAM seems to have it w/ SUSE somehow
In fact openSUSE Leap 15.1 is an even better choice.
usergt is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats the cause of error? immortality OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 12 July 11, 2019 17:33
Non physical force coefficients obtained in simulation using foam extend 4.0 (IBM) suyash.verma9@gmail.com OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 0 March 4, 2019 17:52
[CGNS] CGNS converters available mbeaudoin OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 137 December 14, 2018 04:20
[blockMesh] BlockMesh FOAM warning gaottino OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 7 July 19, 2010 14:11
Problem with rhoSimpleFoam matteo_gautero OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 0 February 28, 2008 06:51


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46.