CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Pre-Processing

Issues with mapFields

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree19Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   April 10, 2014, 11:05
Default
  #21
Member
 
Ripudaman Manchanda
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 12
ripudaman is on a distinguished road
Update on the above message:

mapFields is giving me a similar error for various other cases.

In some cases mapFields randomly does not give me an error but in others it does.

1. Using a coarse blockMesh does not solve the problem
2. Using no region refinement using snappy does not solve the problem.

I ran a first case with a single STL file of a plane in my coarse blockMesh grid and solved my equations.
Then I mapped the results onto a grid of the blockMesh but with two surfaces (inside the blockMesh) snapped to grid using SHM. I was still able to solve my case and the results were mapped from the previous case to the current case.
I ran into an error when I tried doing this for a third grid with three surfaces snapped using SHM. This time I ran into an error using mapFields which was very similar to the error mentioned in the post above :
Code:
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Plane normal defined with zero length
Bad points:(-137.15995 129.54 -7.6199818) (-137.15995 129.54 1.2356772e-05) (-137.15995 129.54 7.6200008)

From function void plane::calcPntAndVec
(
const point&,
const point&,
const point&
)

in file meshes/primitiveShapes/plane/plane.C at line 116.

FOAM aborting

#0  Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1  Foam::error::abort() in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2  Foam::plane::calcPntAndVec(Foam::Vector<double> const&, Foam::Vector<double> const&, Foam::Vector<double> const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#3  Foam::tetOverlapVolume::tetTetOverlapVol(Foam::tetPoints const&, Foam::tetPoints const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libmeshTools.so"
#4  Foam::tetOverlapVolume::cellCellOverlapMinDecomp(Foam::primitiveMesh const&, int, Foam::primitiveMesh const&, int, Foam::treeBoundBox const&, double) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libmeshTools.so"
#5  Foam::meshToMeshMethod::intersect(int, int) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#6  Foam::cellVolumeWeightMethod::setNextCells(int&, int&, int&, Foam::List<int> const&, Foam::List<bool> const&, Foam::DynamicList<int, 0u, 2u, 1u> const&, Foam::List<int>&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#7  Foam::cellVolumeWeightMethod::calculateAddressing(Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&, int, int, Foam::List<int> const&, Foam::List<bool>&, int&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#8  Foam::cellVolumeWeightMethod::calculate(Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#9  Foam::meshToMesh::calcAddressing(Foam::polyMesh const&, Foam::polyMesh const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#10  Foam::meshToMesh::calculate() in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#11  Foam::meshToMesh::meshToMesh(Foam::polyMesh const&, Foam::polyMesh const&, Foam::meshToMesh::interpolationMethod const&, Foam::HashTable<Foam::word, Foam::word, Foam::string::hash> const&, Foam::List<Foam::word> const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#12
in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/mapFields"
#13
in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/mapFields"
#14  __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#15
in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/mapFields"
Aborted (core dumped)
This is a huge bottleneck for my research. mapFields was also one of the important reasons I chose to use openFOAM for my purposes.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.
ripudaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 29, 2014, 14:42
Default
  #22
New Member
 
Amjad
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 13
Amjad Asad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
Always I am using mapFields everything is working

Code:
 
mapFields -sourceTime latestTime -case ../coarseMeshSimulationName/
The entries in the mapFieldsDict are empty.!

Works perfekt all the time.

Hallo,
i am trying to get the internal Field values from my RANS simulation to use them as intial internal Field for LES, but the problem I always get uniform 0, can u help me pls?
Amjad Asad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 17, 2014, 10:40
Default mapFields issue
  #23
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 11
Drew1 is on a distinguished road
Hello!

I am trying to use the mapFields too. My problem is that I don't even get the following in the terminaL:

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| ========= | |
| \\ / F ield | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox |
| \\ / O peration | Version: 2.2.0 |
| \\ / A nd | Web: www.OpenFOAM.org |
| \\/ M anipulation | |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Build : 2.2.0
Exec : mapFields /home/Z-DRIVES/s207619/Thesis/cases/noTower_AOA_yplus/k-epsilon/prueba -consistent
Date : Jun 17 2014
Time : 15:31:18
Host : "sow7503f-li.soe.cranfield.ac.uk"
PID : 4730
Case : /home/Z-DRIVES/s207619/Thesis/cases/noTower_AOA_yplus/k-omega/fine_AOA7
nProcs : 1
sigFpe : Floating point exception trapping - not supported on this platform
fileModificationChecking : Monitoring run-time modified files using timeStampMaster
allowSystemOperations : Disallowing user-supplied system call operations

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Source: "/home/Z-DRIVES/s207619/Thesis/cases/noTower_AOA_yplus/k-epsilon" "prueba"
Target: "/home/Z-DRIVES/s207619/Thesis/cases/noTower_AOA_yplus/k-omega" "fine_AOA7"

Create databases as time

Source time: 75
Target time: 75
Create meshes

Source mesh size: 360747 Target mesh size: 683832


It gets stacked there; I don't even get the message which says: Mapping fields for time...

I have tried the suggestions in this thread but I haven't solved it yet. Does anyone have an idea or what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.
Drew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 18, 2014, 05:58
Default Plane normal defined with zero length
  #24
New Member
 
Per Jørgensen
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 13
perjorgen is on a distinguished road
I have a similar problem
I am using SHM to generate a finer mesh contained in the coarse solution
When I run mapFields I it always find a zero normal surface - I have tried to adjust the meshquality in SHM but without success

Did you find a solution to your problem? Or does anyone else have a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripudaman View Post
Update on the above message:

mapFields is giving me a similar error for various other cases.

In some cases mapFields randomly does not give me an error but in others it does.

1. Using a coarse blockMesh does not solve the problem
2. Using no region refinement using snappy does not solve the problem.

I ran a first case with a single STL file of a plane in my coarse blockMesh grid and solved my equations.
Then I mapped the results onto a grid of the blockMesh but with two surfaces (inside the blockMesh) snapped to grid using SHM. I was still able to solve my case and the results were mapped from the previous case to the current case.
I ran into an error when I tried doing this for a third grid with three surfaces snapped using SHM. This time I ran into an error using mapFields which was very similar to the error mentioned in the post above :
Code:
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Plane normal defined with zero length
Bad points:(-137.15995 129.54 -7.6199818) (-137.15995 129.54 1.2356772e-05) (-137.15995 129.54 7.6200008)

From function void plane::calcPntAndVec
(
const point&,
const point&,
const point&
)

in file meshes/primitiveShapes/plane/plane.C at line 116.

FOAM aborting

#0  Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1  Foam::error::abort() in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2  Foam::plane::calcPntAndVec(Foam::Vector<double> const&, Foam::Vector<double> const&, Foam::Vector<double> const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#3  Foam::tetOverlapVolume::tetTetOverlapVol(Foam::tetPoints const&, Foam::tetPoints const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libmeshTools.so"
#4  Foam::tetOverlapVolume::cellCellOverlapMinDecomp(Foam::primitiveMesh const&, int, Foam::primitiveMesh const&, int, Foam::treeBoundBox const&, double) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libmeshTools.so"
#5  Foam::meshToMeshMethod::intersect(int, int) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#6  Foam::cellVolumeWeightMethod::setNextCells(int&, int&, int&, Foam::List<int> const&, Foam::List<bool> const&, Foam::DynamicList<int, 0u, 2u, 1u> const&, Foam::List<int>&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#7  Foam::cellVolumeWeightMethod::calculateAddressing(Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&, int, int, Foam::List<int> const&, Foam::List<bool>&, int&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#8  Foam::cellVolumeWeightMethod::calculate(Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<int> >&, Foam::List<Foam::List<double> >&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#9  Foam::meshToMesh::calcAddressing(Foam::polyMesh const&, Foam::polyMesh const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#10  Foam::meshToMesh::calculate() in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#11  Foam::meshToMesh::meshToMesh(Foam::polyMesh const&, Foam::polyMesh const&, Foam::meshToMesh::interpolationMethod const&, Foam::HashTable<Foam::word, Foam::word, Foam::string::hash> const&, Foam::List<Foam::word> const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libsampling.so"
#12
in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/mapFields"
#13
in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/mapFields"
#14  __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#15
in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/mapFields"
Aborted (core dumped)
This is a huge bottleneck for my research. mapFields was also one of the important reasons I chose to use openFOAM for my purposes.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.
perjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 18, 2014, 07:57
Default
  #25
New Member
 
Per Jørgensen
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 13
perjorgen is on a distinguished road
UPDATE: the implementation of calcAdressing has changes in 2.3
In Foam::tetOverlapVolume::tetTetOverlapVol
I would expect that tet's with 3 points on a line should be caught by
if ((tetA.tet().mag() < SMALL) || (tetB.tet().mag() < SMALL))
{
return 0.0;
}
perjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 21, 2014, 04:57
Default
  #26
New Member
 
Per Jørgensen
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 13
perjorgen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perjorgen View Post
UPDATE: the implementation of calcAdressing has changes in 2.3
In Foam::tetOverlapVolume::tetTetOverlapVol
I would expect that tet's with 3 points on a line should be caught by
if ((tetA.tet().mag() < SMALL) || (tetB.tet().mag() < SMALL))
{
return 0.0;
}
tetB.tet().mag() has a round off error in the order of SMALL which is what causes the problem for large meshdistances

If I make the mesh finer the problem goes away
perjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 21, 2014, 14:24
Default
  #27
Member
 
Seroga
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Rep Power: 13
Seroga is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone!

Does it possible in OpenFOAM to map fields between to computational domain that don't have common points at all? However the domains are topologically similar.
Domain.JPG
Seroga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 22, 2014, 05:48
Default
  #28
New Member
 
Per Jørgensen
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 13
perjorgen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seroga View Post
Hi everyone!

Does it possible in OpenFOAM to map fields between to computational domain that don't have common points at all? However the domains are topologically similar.
Attachment 35385
If you make a transformation of the coordinates first, then you should be able to do it
if you use ascii the file constant/polymesh/points contain the coordinates - change these in the source geom
perjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 23, 2014, 12:00
Default
  #29
Member
 
Seroga
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Rep Power: 13
Seroga is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your answer, but I didn't understand what did you mean, actually...
Both domains are generated with snappyHexMesh utility for example. So the number of computational grid points are different.
Could you please explain your answer in more detail?
Thanks beforehand
Seroga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 24, 2014, 03:07
Default
  #30
New Member
 
Per Jørgensen
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 13
perjorgen is on a distinguished road
If your 2 domains overlap mapFields should work just fine even though they don't have common point. But not having common points at all I read as they are located in entirely different places in space, and in that case mapFields will not work, for it to work you need to transform your source points so they overlap your target. I am not aware of a tool that does it, so you might have to program it yourself
perjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 27, 2014, 01:58
Default
  #31
Member
 
Ripudaman Manchanda
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 12
ripudaman is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot for figuring out the solution to the problem perjorgen.

Like Seroga, I am a little confused about the implementation of your solution.

For your reference here are a few lines from my source and target points files.

Source:
Code:
189558
(
(-300 -300 -3352.84)
(-270 -300 -3352.84)
(-240 -300 -3352.84)
(-210 -300 -3352.84)
(-180 -300 -3352.84)
(-150 -300 -3352.84)
(-120 -300 -3352.84)
(-90 -300 -3352.84)
(-60 -300 -3352.84)
(-30 -300 -3352.84)
(-8.8294375e-20 -300 -3352.84)
(30 -300 -3352.84)
(60 -300 -3352.84)
(90 -300 -3352.84)
(120 -300 -3352.84)
(150 -300 -3352.84)
(180 -300 -3352.84)
(210 -300 -3352.84)
(240 -300 -3352.84)
(270 -300 -3352.84)
(300 -300 -3352.84)
(-300 -270 -3352.84)
(-270 -270 -3352.84)
(-240 -270 -3352.84)
(-210 -270 -3352.84)
(-180 -270 -3352.84)
(-150 -270 -3352.84)
(-120 -270 -3352.84)
(-90 -270 -3352.84)
(-60 -270 -3352.84)
(-30 -270 -3352.84)
(-1.5745528e-19 -270 -3352.84)
(30 -270 -3352.84)
(60 -270 -3352.84)
(90 -270 -3352.84)
(120 -270 -3352.84)
(150 -270 -3352.84)
(180 -270 -3352.84)
(210 -270 -3352.84)
(240 -270 -3352.84)
(270 -270 -3352.84)
(300 -270 -3352.84)
(-300 -240 -3352.84)
(-270 -240 -3352.84)
(-240 -240 -3352.84)
(-210 -240 -3352.84)
(-180 -240 -3352.84)
(-150 -240 -3352.84)
(-120 -240 -3352.84)
(-90 -240 -3352.84)
(-60 -240 -3352.84)
(-30 -240 -3352.84)
(-3.5706191e-19 -240 -3352.84)
(30 -240 -3352.84)
(60 -240 -3352.84)
...
and Target:
Code:
219198
(
(-300 -300 -3352.84)
(-270 -300 -3352.84)
(-240 -300 -3352.84)
(-210 -300 -3352.84)
(-180 -300 -3352.84)
(-150 -300 -3352.84)
(-120 -300 -3352.84)
(-90 -300 -3352.84)
(-60 -300 -3352.84)
(-30 -300 -3352.84)
(1.5276265e-07 -300 -3352.84)
(30 -300 -3352.84)
(60 -300 -3352.84)
(90 -300 -3352.84)
(120 -300 -3352.84)
(150 -300 -3352.84)
(180 -300 -3352.84)
(210 -300 -3352.84)
(240 -300 -3352.84)
(270 -300 -3352.84)
(300 -300 -3352.84)
(-300 -270 -3352.84)
(-270 -270 -3352.84)
(-240 -270 -3352.84)
(-210 -270 -3352.84)
(-180 -270 -3352.84)
(-150 -270 -3352.84)
(-120 -270 -3352.84)
(-90 -270 -3352.84)
(-60 -270 -3352.84)
(-30 -270 -3352.84)
(1.1986395e-07 -270 -3352.84)
(30 -270 -3352.84)
(60.000001 -270 -3352.84)
(90.000001 -270 -3352.84)
(120 -270 -3352.84)
(150 -270 -3352.84)
(180 -270 -3352.84)
(210 -270 -3352.84)
(240 -270 -3352.84)
(270 -270 -3352.84)
(300 -270 -3352.84)
(-300 -240 -3352.84)
(-270 -240 -3352.84)
(-240 -240 -3352.84)
(-210 -240 -3352.84)
(-180 -240 -3352.84)
(-150 -240 -3352.84)
(-120 -240 -3352.84)
(-90.000001 -240 -3352.84)
(-60.000001 -240 -3352.84)
(-30.000001 -240 -3352.84)
(-2.6021587e-07 -240 -3352.84)
(30 -240 -3352.84)
(60.000001 -240 -3352.84)
...
Based on your recommendation the points should be corresponding. Does that mean that the 11th point in my target file should be changed from (1.5276265e-07 -300 -3352.84) to (-8.8294375e-20 -300 -3352.84) ?

And do you recommend writing a program that finds the minimum distance between points in the source and target and replaces the points in the target file with the points of the source file if the distance between points is less than a small number such as 1e-6?

Your clarification here will be extremely useful.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ripu
ripudaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 31, 2015, 11:37
Default
  #32
Member
 
Timm Severin
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 11
Astrodan is on a distinguished road
I just found this thread because I also had the error and googling brought me here
Code:
--> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
Plane normal defined with zero length
I had a couple of problems with the mapFields utility of lately, and it seems there have been a couple of changes from OF2.2.x to OF2.3.x.

So my "solution" right now is to temporarily switch to of22x (using alias, compare Using aliases to help manage multiple OpenFOAM versions), map my fields and revert to OF23x.

Another possibility might be to port the old mapFields to OF23x, but I leave that to people who care...
chengyu and Chanterz like this.
__________________
PhD Student at the Institute of Biochemical Engineering at TU München
Modelling of fluid dynamics in open photobioreactors.

System:
OpenFOAM 2.3.x, 64bit, 8 Core Xeon Workstation
Astrodan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 4, 2016, 23:26
Default
  #33
New Member
 
Jade Chantrell
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 9
Chanterz is on a distinguished road
Hi ripudaman and foamers,

Have you had any development on this probelm? I have mentioned your error in this thread with a proposed solution:
http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...utility-2.html

I feel as if the problems I am having are very close to the problems described in this thread. I do believe 3.0x has reverted back to 2.2x functionality with mapFields.

Last edited by Chanterz; February 4, 2016 at 23:28. Reason: forgot to mention something
Chanterz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2018, 05:32
Default
  #34
Member
 
Peter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 9
potentialFoam is on a distinguished road
Dear Foamers,

I also struggled some time with mapFields in version 1606 (and newer) with
- three snappy meshes (of a model scale ship w/o free surface)
- coarse/ medium/ fine, lowRe
- # 14, 25 and 50 million cells.

The problems were that either no fields were mapped (using mapFieldsDict) or that an Error (sigSegv) appeared (with option -consistent).

SOLUTION:
Using the option 'mapMethod'
https://www.openfoam.com/documentati...8C_source.html
The default entry 'interpolate' leads to the error, but both others work:
- mapNearest
- cellPointInterpolate

Important: You need to consider the mapping-interpolation for sure... But hey, at least it works
LuckyTran and aow like this.
potentialFoam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 24, 2021, 12:32
Default Problem with mapping outlet velocities of once mesh to inlet patch of another mesh
  #35
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 6
MaySea is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I have two meshes, one is an extension of another. It's a kind of an inlet fetch for a logarithmic velocity profile to develop properly before it reaches my terrain geometry. An outlet of the fetch, called nnw should deliver U, k, omega for the inlet (sse) of the main mesh. I use OF6.

Now, the fetch mesh refinement levels are different than that of the main mesh. The main mesh is much finer. The outlet of the fetch is exactly in the same place in space as the inlet for target mesh, but it is less refined.

So I have been trying to use mapFields to impose the outlet fields of the fetch mesh into the inlet of the main, fine mesh. I have the mapFieldsDict in my target case:

nnw is the outlet of the coarse fetch, sse is the inlet of the fine main mesh.

Code:
patchMap
(nnw sse);

cuttingPatches  ();
I have all the field dictionaries in my target case; U, omega etc. with fixedValue;
value uniform (0 0 0); at the velocity inlet etc.

The problem is that when I execute
mapFields /path/to/source case/ -sourceTime latestTime it detects all the fields, performs interpolation but after it finishes, nothing changes.
I also tried defining the inlet of the fine, target case as the cutting plane and it performed some bizarre interpolation with multiple zero values (see the screengrabs).
I tried different interpolation types too, didn't help.
Screengrabs:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JnVV9sNHlOYWlR

Any ideas how to cope with this problem? thanks.
MaySea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 25, 2021, 06:18
Default
  #36
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 6
MaySea is on a distinguished road
Well, problem solved. I simply swapped the patch names in the mapFieldsDict's patchMap.
The first one is a target patch, the second one is the source patch.
To my understanding it is contrary to what is written here:
https://cfd.direct/openfoam/user-guide/v6-mapfields/

I hope this helps someone who has the same problem in the future.
MaySea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 11, 2021, 02:02
Smile
  #37
New Member
 
anis1984
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
PuWang is on a distinguished road
hi, I have meet the same problem with you that there is no data wrtitten in the target U file,but i solved this problem by this:
check the coordinate about the domain wheather is correspond to the domain you want, which means you need to ensure the way the map field you want dont need any extra translation or rotation.
for example you want the inlet be mapped,the source geometry is at (-5 0 0) to (0 0 0), the length of x direction is 5, but your target geometry is at (10 0 0) to (15 0 0),although your geometry is totally the same size,but there is no any of coincident mapfield! that's why we won't have any data in our target field.
hope this will help you anyway.
Regards
PuWang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 28, 2021, 15:59
Default
  #38
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 10
slashss4 is on a distinguished road
Dear MaySea,

I was working on similar problem. Could you share the related cutting plane file? I've also obtained a cutting plane but when I executed the mapFields command my U file does not change.

Kind Regards
slashss4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 28, 2021, 16:29
Default
  #39
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 6
MaySea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashss4 View Post
Dear MaySea,

I was working on similar problem. Could you share the related cutting plane file? I've also obtained a cutting plane but when I executed the mapFields command my U file does not change.

Kind Regards
Hi Slash,

Here nnw is my receiving (target) patch and sse is my source patch. I map the outlet "sse" into inlet "nnw".

The command I use:
mapFields /path/ -sourceTime latestTime -mapMethod mapNearest

Code:
/*--------------------------------*- C++ -*----------------------------------*\
  =========                 |
  \\      /  F ield         | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox
   \\    /   O peration     | Website:  https://openfoam.org
    \\  /    A nd           | Version:  6
     \\/     M anipulation  |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
FoamFile
{
    version     2.0;
    format      ascii;
    class       dictionary;
    location    "system";
    object      mapFieldsDict;
}
// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //

patchMap
(nnw sse);
//target source
//mapMethod "mapNearest"
//cellPointInterpolate
cuttingPatches  ();


// ************************************************************************* //
I hope this helps,
Jan
MaySea is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
-consistent, mapfields, mapfieldsdict

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FLUENT Speed Issues on Cluster cfd23 FLUENT 2 April 3, 2010 23:43
mapFields problems andrea.pasquali OpenFOAM 1 February 17, 2010 22:57
mapFields ignores sourceTime for -parallel source andersking OpenFOAM Bugs 2 September 2, 2009 10:38
mapFields between inconsistent meshes nikwin OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 7 July 30, 2009 04:35
MapFields to New Grid For Extreme Grid Deformations due to Body Motion albcem OpenFOAM 0 May 5, 2009 14:17


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32.