CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Programming & Development

Solving a Reaction-Diffusion Type Equation

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   February 11, 2017, 14:31
Default Solving a Reaction-Diffusion Type Equation
  #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 9
juggler is on a distinguished road
Hello Everyone!

My current Project (using OpenFOAM 4.0) demands (for the Sake of Stability) the spatial Filtering of a scalar Field to remove features smaller than a specified length scale. The Values of this Field should be blurred by averaging them with the Values of Cells within a certain radius. My first attempt at this (as specified by the Paper I was reading: http://www.topopt.dtu.dk/files/TopOpt88.pdf) was doing a weighted Average over all Cells within a certain radius. My Implementation of involved a for-loop over all Cells with max() and gsum() functions. While this yielded some Results (see below), it proved to be unusably slow. I therefore wanted to replace this by something faster, preferably leveraging the PDE-Solving powers of OpenFOAM.

The Paper proposed an alternative Approach for filtering by solving a Reaction-Diffusion-Type Equation, which I wrote as follows:

Code:
RFilter = pow(rFilter/(2*::sqrt(3.0)),2.0);
filteredObjectSensitivity = ObjectSensitivity;

Info<< "rFilter = " << rFilter << nl
    << "RFilter = " << RFilter << nl << endl;
    
fvScalarMatrix PDEFilter
        (
            laplacianDimKiller*RFilter*fvm::laplacian(filteredObjectSensitivity)
            -filteredObjectSensitivity
        ==
            -ObjectSensitivity
        );
        
PDEFilter.solve();

filteredObjectSensitivity = filteredObjectSensitivity/(max(filteredObjectSensitivity).value()*0.000000001);
with

rFilter as the original Filter length scale (set by user, type scalar)
ObjectSensitivity as the original (unfiltered) volScalarField
filteredObjectSensitivity as the filtered volScalarField
laplacianDimKiller as a scalar of unity value to make FOAM stop complaining about dimensions

The last Line is to normalize values to a certain Range.

The Paper specifies BCs as Gradients normal to the Boundary to be zero, so I set zeroGradient BCs for the filteredObjectSensitivity field.

Entries in fvSolution and fvSchemes were:

Code:
    filteredObjectSensitivity
    {
        solver          GAMG;
        tolerance       1e-06;
        relTol          0.001;
        smoother        GaussSeidel;
        cacheAgglomeration true;
        nCellsInCoarsestLevel 20;
        agglomerator    faceAreaPair;
        mergeLevels     1;
    }
and

Code:
    laplacian(filteredObjectSensitivity) Gauss linear corrected;
To test this, I disabled the usual Input to the filter and made it load a test Field created with setFields, then ran the Code for one Iteration on my 2D-Testcase. The test Field looks like this:

unfiltered.png

Filtering this with rFilter set to 0.5 yields following output on the CLI:

Code:
rFilter = 0.5 [0 0 0 0 0 0 0] 0.5
RFilter = pow((0.5|3.4641),2) [0 0 0 0 0 0 0] 0.02083333333

GAMG:  Solving for filteredObjectSensitivity, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0008298633416, No Iterations 6
Resulting filteredObjectSensitivity looks like following:

filtered05.png

For Comparison, Result of old filter Approach:

oldfilter05.png

Filtering with rFilter set to 0.05 gives this:

Code:
rFilter = 0.05 [0 0 0 0 0 0 0] 0.05
RFilter = pow((0.05|3.4641),2) [0 0 0 0 0 0 0] 0.0002083333333

GAMG:  Solving for filteredObjectSensitivity, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0008298633416, No Iterations 6
Again, Result of PDE Filter:

filtered005.png

And old Filter using the same Parameters:

oldfilter005.png

As can be seen, the PDE filter Approach does not really care for the Values of rFilter, as the old Filter does. What can I do to make the Output of the PDE-Filter at least similar to the Output of the old Filter?
What I tried:
- Flipping signs in the Equation -> Does not do anything exept inverting the Solution
- Tried very large/small values for rFilter -> Same Results
- Setting one BC as fixedValue, value 0 -> Distorts solution, still no Impact of rFilter to filteredObjectSensitivity field

Now I am pretty much out of Ideas. Maybe I did not quite understand something?

Best Regards,

Juggler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unfiltered.jpg (30.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg filtered05.jpg (35.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg oldfilter05.jpg (31.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg filtered005.jpg (37.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg oldfilter005.jpg (28.3 KB, 15 views)
juggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
implementation, reaction-diffusion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extrusion with OpenFoam problem No. Iterations 0 Lord Kelvin OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 8 March 28, 2016 11:08
Unstabil Simulation with chtMultiRegionFoam mbay101 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 13 December 28, 2013 13:12
Upgraded from Karmic Koala 9.10 to Lucid Lynx10.04.3 bookie56 OpenFOAM Installation 8 August 13, 2011 04:03
Orifice Plate with a fully developed flow - Problems with convergence jonmec OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 3 July 28, 2011 05:24
Pressure instability with rhoSimpleFoam daniel_mills OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 44 February 17, 2011 17:08


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03.