CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

Pressure difference as an input to simpleFoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tobermory

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   August 29, 2021, 09:22
Question Pressure difference as an input to simpleFoam

Ahmad Mahmoud
a.mahmoud is on a distinguished road
I have a problem where I am required to simulate the flow through a reconstructed geometry of a human vessel (pipe flow), where the pressure at the inlet and at the outlet is known, in order to find the resultant flow rate.

My question is how should I set up a case in openFoam using the simpleFoam solver, where the pressures are the input and no velocity is specified. I have tried doing this by setting the velocity boundary condition to zero gradient at both ends, and the pressure as fixed value for both values, but the results were usually unstable and did not converge satisfactorily. I have tried with k-epsilon turbulence models as well as k-omega SST and even fully laminar, but none of them would converge.

What appropriate boundary conditions should I use and how can I improve the stability and convergence of the problem?

Thank in advance!
a.mahmoud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 29, 2021, 21:00

Francisco T
frantov is on a distinguished road
That seems correct. Check the file attached, which is a microchannel (100microns x 20) the velocity is generated correctly with pressure. This case is laminar.

microch_vel.png
microchannel100x20Pressure.zip
Perhaps you can try laminar first and then add turbulence later?

What issues are you having?
Cheers
Francisco
frantov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 31, 2021, 03:10

Andreas P.
AndreasPe is on a distinguished road
Maybe you can try the pressureInletUniformVelocity instead of zeroGradient for one side. This sets velocity to a constant value over the whole inlet in one direction, which made simulations stable in my case...

https://www.openfoam.com/documentati...d.html#details
AndreasPe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2021, 06:52

Ahmad Mahmoud
a.mahmoud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasPe View Post
Maybe you can try the pressureInletUniformVelocity instead of zeroGradient for one side. This sets velocity to a constant value over the whole inlet in one direction, which made simulations stable in my case...

https://www.openfoam.com/documentati...d.html#details

What value would I set i to. Note that I do not have vales for the velocity or the flux, that is the value i am after.
a.mahmoud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2021, 07:04

Andreas P.
AndreasPe is on a distinguished road
The "value" field ist just a dummy field for this boundary condition, that will be overwritten by the calculation of the boundary condition. So you can just set it to 0.
AndreasPe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2021, 12:21

Tobermory will become famous soon enough
Another suggestion is to apply a total pressure boundary condition at the upstream end; the ESI documentation page (https://www.openfoam.com/documentati...tions-subsonic) suggests that this gives good stability ... my experience is a bit mixed though. Let us know what ends up working for you.
dlahaye likes this.
Tobermory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2021, 13:44

Domenico Lahaye
dlahaye is on a distinguished road
Aha!

What has your experience with subsonic cases been?

I am working on a jet-in-co-flow with transonic jet to (hopefully) clarify convergence issues. What are in your experience are point to look into?

Would pressure-velocity coupled solver help in these cases?

Thx, Domenico.
dlahaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boundary condition, internal flow, pipe flow, simplefoam convergence, simplefoam pressure bc