CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > OpenFOAM

On getting started with local support: Anyone In Wichita, KS?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   November 18, 2019, 17:40
Default On getting started with local support: Anyone In Wichita, KS?
  #1
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
I would like to contact anyone who lives near Wichita, KS for help installing and setting up OpenFOAM.

Regards,
Joe T.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 11:42
Default
  #2
HPE
Senior Member
 
HPE's Avatar
 
Herpes Free Engineer
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Home Under The Ground with the Lost Boys
Posts: 932
Rep Power: 12
HPE is on a distinguished road
why not via this forum
HPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 16:55
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
HPE,

I am looking for someone who is very experienced in OpenFOAM and could tutor me. I need someone close to Wichita. I would like to hire someone with the experience and patience to train a GEEZER.

I have not really found any of the YouTube tutorials as useful as I would like. I'm still struggling.

Regards,
Joe T.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 17:09
Default
  #4
HPE
Senior Member
 
HPE's Avatar
 
Herpes Free Engineer
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Home Under The Ground with the Lost Boys
Posts: 932
Rep Power: 12
HPE is on a distinguished road
Might consider to apply for a virtual training in the worst case? e.g. https://www.openfoam.com/training/virtual-training.php
HPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 17:16
Default
  #5
HPE
Senior Member
 
HPE's Avatar
 
Herpes Free Engineer
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Home Under The Ground with the Lost Boys
Posts: 932
Rep Power: 12
HPE is on a distinguished road
And dont be hard on yourself. OpenFOAM has a steep learning curve, which is more or less the same for anyone. Yet with time and patience, slow or fast, you progress. Luckily the community is much larger and experinced, and OpemFOAM is more capable and easier to use in comparison to ten years ago. Hope you find someone. In the worst case, I kindly suggest attending a virtual training, or buy a book, or follow training material online.
HPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 17:16
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
HPE,

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Regards,
Joe T.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 17:23
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPE View Post
And dont be hard on yourself. OpenFOAM has a steep learning curve, which is more or less the same for anyone. Yet with time and patience, slow or fast, you progress. Luckily the community is much larger and experinced, and OpemFOAM is more capable and easier to use in comparison to ten years ago. Hope you find someone. In the worst case, I kindly suggest attending a virtual training, or buy a book, or follow training material online.
HPE,

I'll check out the Virtual Training and any available books. Could you suggest a good 'non-it' guy book?

I have found the YouTube training disorganized and just not very coherent. Any other online training suggestions?

Also, I have tried to install OpenFoam on Windows. After installation, I get the following error message:


Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.
Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.
error during connect: Post http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engin...of_1906/start: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.
Error: failed to start containers: of_1906
error during connect: Get http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engin.../of_1906/json: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.
Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.
PS C:\Users\Joe\Desktop\OpenFOAM CFD\v1906>


Beyond my skill level.

Regards,
Joe T.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2019, 17:34
Default
  #8
HPE
Senior Member
 
HPE's Avatar
 
Herpes Free Engineer
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Home Under The Ground with the Lost Boys
Posts: 932
Rep Power: 12
HPE is on a distinguished road
That's OK: When I first started all of these via Linux, I couldn't find how to open a Linux terminal for a week!

For the error message, I need to have access my computer - but will chase it for you next week.

For resources, some of my favourites:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finite-Meth.../dp/3319168754

Please Google the following
Joel Guerro's training materials - Wolf dynamics
Hakan Nillson - Chalmers University materials and his students' public works (quite extensive)
SourceFlux
OpenFOAMwiki.net and wiki.OpenFOAm.com (two very useful wikis, and the latter one contains many tutorials by guiding you along the way step by step)
OpenFOAM.com Extended Code Guide
Bruno Santos blog
Jasak's thesis (might be advanced for a starter, but a must in the medium term)
Wikki Ltd free online material
develop.openfoam gitlab repo
And finally this lovely forum

My apologies for very unformal - unstylish suggestions, but Friday night
HPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 30, 2019, 17:05
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
HPE,

I'll check out the Virtual Training and any available books. Could you suggest a good 'non-it' guy book?

I have found the YouTube training disorganized and just not very coherent. Any other online training suggestions?

Also, I have tried to install OpenFoam on Windows. After installation, I get the following error message:


Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.
Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.
error during connect: Post http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engin...of_1906/start: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.
Error: failed to start containers: of_1906
error during connect: Get http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engin.../of_1906/json: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified. In the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run elevated to connect. This error may also indicate that the docker daemon is not running.
Docker machine "default" does not exist. Use "docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a new one.
PS C:\Users\Joe\Desktop\OpenFOAM CFD\v1906>


Beyond my skill level.

Regards,
Joe T.

HPE,

I think this error code regards setting up a 'Virtual Work' dock/box where one can execute various subroutines (??? Old School) or have many windows open. Just my guess - - - -

Regards,
Joe T.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 30, 2019, 17:10
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPE View Post
That's OK: When I first started all of these via Linux, I couldn't find how to open a Linux terminal for a week!

For the error message, I need to have access my computer - but will chase it for you next week.

For resources, some of my favourites:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finite-Meth.../dp/3319168754

Please Google the following
Joel Guerro's training materials - Wolf dynamics
Hakan Nillson - Chalmers University materials and his students' public works (quite extensive)
SourceFlux
OpenFOAMwiki.net and wiki.OpenFOAm.com (two very useful wikis, and the latter one contains many tutorials by guiding you along the way step by step)
OpenFOAM.com Extended Code Guide
Bruno Santos blog
Jasak's thesis (might be advanced for a starter, but a must in the medium term)
Wikki Ltd free online material
develop.openfoam gitlab repo
And finally this lovely forum

My apologies for very unformal - unstylish suggestions, but Friday night
WOW!!! What a treasure trove of info. I just started looking at Wolf Dynamics material.

Now, all I have to do is get OpenFOAM up and running.

Regards,
Joe T.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 7, 2019, 12:21
Default Hpe
  #11
New Member
 
Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
JoeT is on a distinguished road
HPE,

I told you what I needed in a CFD assessment in a PM. I wanted to attached a couple of files that would help explain.

The 'Strawman' attachment is just a very simple drone I used as a vehicle to illustrate other imbedded technologies. One of the technologies is a coaxial, counter rotating EDF. So, not only do I need a complete CFD analysis of the simple vehicle including the usual lift, drag, moments about CG, and forces about the three axis, I also need to be able to calculate aerodynamic loads.

Same for the '207EF FWO' data, but no EDF analysis.

I hope you can point me to someone who is experienced and can support my development efforts.

Regards,
Joe T.


BTW, I screwed up on the Fast Washout Wing illustration in the 207EF FWO PDF. On page 6 it calls out '1o Incidence' for the main wing tips. That should be '0o Incidence.' There is a three degree difference in the main wing span equal to the canard span and the main wing tips. There is no decalage between the canard and the main wing portion that is equal tot he canard span. Sorry for the screw up.

An important aspect of the CFD analysis is to determine the moment about the CG caused by the main wing outboard tips assuming the canard and main wing center section stall. The airfoil is a NACA 64-212 which stalls at ~16 degrees AoA.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Straw Horse Vehicle - 1 12-6-2019.pdf (150.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf 207EF FWO Wing Illustrations - 1 12-6-2019.pdf (174.4 KB, 5 views)
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
same geometry,structured and unstructured mesh,different behaviour. sharonyue OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 13 January 2, 2013 22:40
pisoFoam with k-epsilon turb blows up - Some questions Heroic OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 26 December 17, 2012 03:34
IcoFoam parallel woes msrinath80 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 9 July 22, 2007 02:58
Does CFX support LES, local dynamic mdoel JJ CFX 0 August 28, 2003 21:15
CFX local support in singapore Tej CFX 1 September 23, 2002 09:38


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:38.