CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Mesh Generation & Pre-Processing Software > Pointwise & Gridgen

Export Pointwise to Fluent *Error: Face Processing Failed

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   April 1, 2021, 14:42
Exclamation Export Pointwise to Fluent *Error: Face Processing Failed
  #1
New Member
 
Kee Horng (Rolf) Seh
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
rolfseh is on a distinguished road
I created a 2D mesh using Pointwise, and extruded 15 degrees using the rotate function. After that, I want to export into .cas file to run my simulation, it shows:

Error: Face processing failed.
Info: Check your grid for one of the following invalid situations:
Info: * Incompatible BC types used on opposite sides of a baffle or connection.
Info: * Non-manifold connectivity.
Info: The unmatched faces have been written to the VRML file: MY FILE
Info: Import this file as database to locate the problem areas in the grid.
Warning: Aborted Export CAE.

May I know what is the problem that I should change here? My version is V18.4 Release 3. I am attaching the screenshots of my geometry. Your help is highly appreciated, thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.37.19 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.36.44 PM.jpg
rolfseh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2021, 00:37
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 293
Rep Power: 11
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
This looks like it should work.

Did you import the VRML file to see where the unmatched faces are located? Post another image with the imported VRML data shaded.
Info: The unmatched faces have been written to the VRML file: MY FILE
Info: Import this file as database to locate the problem areas in the grid.

Is the block left handed? Use Edit, Orient... to check and fix if needed.
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 3, 2021, 13:27
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Kee Horng (Rolf) Seh
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
rolfseh is on a distinguished road
Hello David, thanks for the reply. I uploaded the VRML file, and I guess that I have a bad mesh there that occurs the error. Will try another mesh and see how it goes.
rolfseh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 3, 2021, 15:13
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Pay D.
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 158
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 12
pdp.aero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfseh View Post
I created a 2D mesh using Pointwise, and extruded 15 degrees using the rotate function. After that, I want to export into .cas file to run my simulation, it shows:

Error: Face processing failed.
Info: Check your grid for one of the following invalid situations:
Info: * Incompatible BC types used on opposite sides of a baffle or connection.
Info: * Non-manifold connectivity.
Info: The unmatched faces have been written to the VRML file: MY FILE
Info: Import this file as database to locate the problem areas in the grid.
Warning: Aborted Export CAE.

May I know what is the problem that I should change here? My version is V18.4 Release 3. I am attaching the screenshots of my geometry. Your help is highly appreciated, thanks!

Attachment 83647 Attachment 83648
Not sure which version of fluent you were using but I assume the problem is the pole connector you defined. As far as I remember it 6.3.26 had such a problem. You may check this out.
pdp.aero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 5, 2021, 12:20
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 293
Rep Power: 11
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfseh View Post
Hello David, thanks for the reply. I uploaded the VRML file, and I guess that I have a bad mesh there that occurs the error. Will try another mesh and see how it goes.
If you can, please place both the PW file and the VRML into a ZIP archive and upload here or some other file-sharing service if the ZIP is too big.

If you licensing allows it, you can call or email Pointwise support directly. They will provide the best help.
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 5, 2021, 12:30
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 293
Rep Power: 11
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp.aero View Post
Not sure which version of fluent you were using but I assume the problem is the pole connector you defined. As far as I remember it 6.3.26 had such a problem. You may check this out.
Since fluent is a face-based format, it will normally not care about poles. The exporter ignores the collapsed faces.

I suspect the problem is that the rotation created an illegal cell with "QuadTri" connectivity at each end of the circular arc. These hex cells are exported as six quad faces. Two of which have a collapsed edge.
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 21, 2021, 16:46
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Pay D.
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 158
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 12
pdp.aero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarlisch View Post
Since fluent is a face-based format, it will normally not care about poles. The exporter ignores the collapsed faces.

I suspect the problem is that the rotation created an illegal cell with "QuadTri" connectivity at each end of the circular arc. These hex cells are exported as six quad faces. Two of which have a collapsed edge.
since my experience running Vassberg's structured grids on CRM on fluent I assumed fluent 6.3.26 has serious problems with poles.
pdp.aero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 22, 2021, 11:17
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 293
Rep Power: 11
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
I have no experience with the Fluent products. My commentary is purely about the behavior and restrictions of Pointwise during export.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp.aero View Post
since my experience running Vassberg's structured grids on CRM on fluent I assumed fluent 6.3.26 has serious problems with poles.
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 22, 2021, 16:07
Default
  #9
Senior Member
 
Pay D.
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 158
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 12
pdp.aero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarlisch View Post
I have no experience with the Fluent products. My commentary is purely about the behavior and restrictions of Pointwise during export.
I appreciate your comment. I understand. My experience with fluent is also limited to 6.3.26 and goes back to many years ago.
pdp.aero is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
error, export, face processing failed, fluent, pointwise

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[ANSYS Meshing] Difficulty in mesh upload to ansys fluent Ayo_gboyega ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 1 June 17, 2018 04:02
Error: Face processing failed 2D(Pointwise to Fluent) amcook3 Pointwise & Gridgen 11 May 22, 2018 11:01
[OpenFOAM] ParaView/Parafoam error when making animation Disco_Caine ParaView 6 September 28, 2010 10:54
[blockMesh] Axisymmetrical mesh Rasmus Gjesing (Gjesing) OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 10 April 2, 2007 15:00
user subroutine error CFDUSER CFX 2 December 9, 2006 07:31


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07.