CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > SU2 > SU2 Shape Design

Adjoint simulation

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   March 11, 2013, 11:07
Default Adjoint simulation
Senior Member
Samuele Z
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mozzate - Co - Italy
Posts: 520
Rep Power: 18
samiam1000 is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

I have downloaded the last version of the solver from svn (here) and I have tried to solve the attached case (NACA0012).

I have tested 2 cases:
1. Mach = 0.15, with incompressible formulation
- the direct solution works very well
- the adjoint simulation fails
2. Mach = 0.8, compressible
- the direct solution works very well
- the adjoint simulation seems to work

Why this happen? Haven't you tested the adjoint solution for low Mach numbers?

Thanks a lot,
samiam1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 12, 2013, 01:19
Super Moderator
Thomas D. Economon
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stanford, CA
Posts: 271
Rep Power: 14
economon is on a distinguished road
Hi Samuele,

Please check the post I left over in this thread on the topic:

Hope this helps!
economon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 20, 2013, 11:03
Roberto Pieri
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milan
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 14
robyTKD is on a distinguished road
Hi everybody,

I discovered that the problem with my mesh was related to elements near leading edge which didn't follow the curvature of the surface of the airfoil. Now results are very good.

I would also like to obtain adjoint solutions: both with drag and lift objective function.
In this case the ROE-2ND discretization gave me strange results (attached below); switching to JST, the solution seems to be better (both cases had been ran with drag obj function).
Problems arise when I want the adjoint solution with lift objective function; the solution is enormously slow (you can compare the residual.vs.iterations in both cases in the figures attached below).
Then I have some questions:
  • attached below you also find the config file, is there something wrong?
  • from my tests, it seems that the code reduces the CFL number when performing adjoint solution, is it right? Improving CFL could help me with adjoint-Lift convergence? If yes, which file should I modify?

thank you in advance,
robyTKD is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why my simulation not agree with the wind tunnel experiment zhaowei CFX 4 July 11, 2015 03:36
Solar Radiation in OpenFOAM plainstyle OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 15 July 8, 2014 04:43
Simulation of a complex wing in solidworks flow simulation niels1900 FloEFD, FloWorks & FloTHERM 6 April 20, 2011 10:44
Continuous vs interrupted simulation sega OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 4 November 3, 2008 14:29
strange simulation error Ralf Schmidt FLUENT 2 May 4, 2007 13:02

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22.