CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > ANSYS > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[ANSYS Meshing] Replicating Cylinder Mesh

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   June 23, 2016, 13:28
Default Replicating Cylinder Mesh
  #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone.

I am a college student trying to replicate an ANSYS model found in literature but I am struggling. I have successfully created the geometry, but I am unable to generate a mesh that accurately resembles the target model. Below is the model I am trying to replicate:



And this is the closest I have come:







I used to method found here to generate the above mesh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 23, 2016, 13:58
Default
  #2
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe6DfdLUFZU
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 23, 2016, 15:05
Default
  #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
Thank you for the quick response. I watched the video in its entirety, however, I really didn't understand it or how to apply it to my model. It appears that I'm supposed to create an inner cylinder in ANSYS Design Modeler and somehow that will change how the mesh is created?

Based on another thread, I've managed to achieve this:



Which is closer, but I'm not quite sure how to get the exact number of nodes/etc that I need. I do know that there needs to be 16 layers of inflation. I was wondering if there was a way to view the number of nodes only on a face? My cylinder is a 3D solid, but I'm trying to match the number of 2D nodes before I match the number of 3D nodes.

Last edited by Baden; June 23, 2016 at 16:26.
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 02:00
Default
  #4
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
right click on faceboundary and get info
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 02:04
Default
  #5
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
go to part III https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LOSmwUQcGI
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 10:33
Default
  #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
right click on faceboundary and get info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
It appears that the advice you have given me is for ANSYS ICEM. Is there anyway to achieve this in the ANSYS Mesher?
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 10:36
Default
  #7
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
ok. You have to slice your geometry.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 12:03
Default
  #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
ok. You have to slice your geometry.
Could you possibly expand on this? I've watched this tutorial but I am still struggling to determine the proper procedure. I've attempted to slice of one of the faces, but I am not succeeding.

Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 12:05
Default
  #9
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
search forum. this has been discussed no of time
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 12:49
Default
  #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
search forum. this has been discussed no of time
Do you happen to have a specific thread in mind? It may be the terms I'm searching, but I haven't found anything that answers my questions.

I've successfully separated the faces using the "surfaces from faces" option in the Design Modeler, however, it creates an overlapping mesh: one for the surface body and one for the solid. The original reason why I wanted to separate the face was so I could match the node count to the model I'm trying to replicate. It appears that separating the faces to get individual node counts is not the way to go about it.
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 13:18
Default
  #11
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ans...ing-issue.html
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 13:19
Default
  #12
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baden View Post
Do you happen to have a specific thread in mind? It may be the terms I'm searching, but I haven't found anything that answers my questions.

I've successfully separated the faces using the "surfaces from faces" option in the Design Modeler, however, it creates an overlapping mesh: one for the surface body and one for the solid. The original reason why I wanted to separate the face was so I could match the node count to the model I'm trying to replicate. It appears that separating the faces to get individual node counts is not the way to go about it.
this face split command wont help you. you need to slice your whole volume to get five parts. where you can apply map mesh
Baden likes this.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 14:50
Default threads
  #13
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ans...ipe-ansys.html


http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ans...-cylinder.html

http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ans...ted-tubes.html
Baden and Catabay like this.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 15:54
Default
  #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
this face split command wont help you. you need to slice your whole volume to get five parts. where you can apply map mesh
Thank you very much. I was able to successfully slice the volume into five parts as you said. This is my progress so far.





I am having some trouble applying inflation. I am unable to apply inflation when I use a "sweep" method and the inflation looks like this when I use a "multizone" method.


Last edited by Baden; June 24, 2016 at 17:26.
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 19:10
Default
  #15
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
good work. You are on right track.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2016, 23:59
Default
  #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
good work. You are on right track.

Thanks. Any advice on fixing the inflation?
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2016, 01:12
Default
  #17
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,553
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 54
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
change biasing
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2016, 06:32
Default
  #18
Member
 
Omid Shekari
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 9
Omish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baden View Post
Thank you for the quick response. I watched the video in its entirety, however, I really didn't understand it or how to apply it to my model. It appears that I'm supposed to create an inner cylinder in ANSYS Design Modeler and somehow that will change how the mesh is created?

Based on another thread, I've managed to achieve this:



Which is closer, but I'm not quite sure how to get the exact number of nodes/etc that I need. I do know that there needs to be 16 layers of inflation. I was wondering if there was a way to view the number of nodes only on a face? My cylinder is a 3D solid, but I'm trying to match the number of 2D nodes before I match the number of 3D nodes.
Hi
I read the Thread you implied and tried to make exactly what you achieved in your picture. Here I repeat the text I wrote and asked for help. I'd be thankful if you teach how to make it.
Copied text:

I want to make exactly the mash you made, but my geometry is a little different. As you see I have a 90 degree bend (made by "revolve").
2 problems:

1- when I use face meshing it doesn't appear as a "Mapped Face Meshing" although I made the square and 4 lines in the middle (by using Tools>splite face), and in the setting for face meshing, the "mapped" option is set as "yes". how did you exactly made it that way?

2- when I insert a mesh method as "multizone" it first gave me an error, something like: could not automatically find source. Then I manually added it (in the picture in RED color. again it gave a new error which you can see in the same picture: "Multizone found free blocks in swept body"
Please help me with this.


my automatic mesh with Inflation ( not what I want, too messy)
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5bdff2922.png

This is face I chose for Mapped face mesh, Which doesn't actually turn out as "MAPPED face mesh"
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5c77ee88d.png

the error with "Multizone Method" after selecting SOURCE manually.
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5ca4e4878.png
Omish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2016, 10:52
Default Replicating Cylinder Mesh
  #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 9
Baden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omish View Post
Hi
I read the Thread you implied and tried to make exactly what you achieved in your picture. Here I repeat the text I wrote and asked for help. I'd be thankful if you teach how to make it.
Copied text:

I want to make exactly the mash you made, but my geometry is a little different. As you see I have a 90 degree bend (made by "revolve").
2 problems:

1- when I use face meshing it doesn't appear as a "Mapped Face Meshing" although I made the square and 4 lines in the middle (by using Tools>splite face), and in the setting for face meshing, the "mapped" option is set as "yes". how did you exactly made it that way?

2- when I insert a mesh method as "multizone" it first gave me an error, something like: could not automatically find source. Then I manually added it (in the picture in RED color. again it gave a new error which you can see in the same picture: "Multizone found free blocks in swept body"
Please help me with this.


my automatic mesh with Inflation ( not what I want, too messy)
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5bdff2922.png

This is face I chose for Mapped face mesh, Which doesn't actually turn out as "MAPPED face mesh"
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5c77ee88d.png

the error with "Multizone Method" after selecting SOURCE manually.
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5ca4e4878.png

I will do my best to answer your question in your own thread. Please only post your question once and preferably not in someone else's active thread.
Omish likes this.
Baden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2016, 11:00
Default
  #20
Member
 
Omid Shekari
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 9
Omish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baden View Post
I will do my best to answer your question in your own thread. Please only post your question once and preferably not in someone else's active thread.
Thank you very much. Sorry for doing that.

Last edited by Omish; June 30, 2016 at 05:22.
Omish is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
cylinder, inflation, mesh, multizone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hex mesh of cylinder with embedded cuboids joanwa Mesh Generation & Pre-Processing 0 February 1, 2016 10:22
[mesh manipulation] Importing Multiple Meshes thomasnwalshiii OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 18 December 19, 2015 18:57
[snappyHexMesh] No layers in a small gap bobburnquist OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 6 August 26, 2015 09:38
[snappyHexMesh] Layers:problem with curvature giulio.topazio OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 10 August 22, 2012 09:03
rotating cylinder using sliding mesh Tim Daly FLUENT 1 November 9, 2008 23:02


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:16.