CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > General Forums > Hardware

Cloud Computing

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   February 23, 2022, 12:29
Default Cloud Computing
  #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 7
Duke711 is on a distinguished road
Is there an interesting alternative to Amazon AWS. Should there be an option to rent the computing power per hour and, above all, should setting up the individual software and OS only cost a fixed rate?


How do you calculate larger models?



Among larger models everything that would take longer than a week on a dual socket plattform.
Duke711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 23, 2022, 12:41
Default
  #2
Super Moderator
 
flotus1's Avatar
 
Alex
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,167
Rep Power: 43
flotus1 has a spectacular aura aboutflotus1 has a spectacular aura about
I am using this: https://www.hlrs.de/home/

Or similar institutions affiliated with universities. One of the benefits is that they are well-suited for HPC applications, and a lot of the software around CFD you might need is already set up.
flotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 23, 2022, 12:55
Default
  #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 7
Duke711 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotus1 View Post
I am using this: https://www.hlrs.de/home/

academic or industrial usage?


pricing?
Duke711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 23, 2022, 13:04
Default
  #4
Super Moderator
 
flotus1's Avatar
 
Alex
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,167
Rep Power: 43
flotus1 has a spectacular aura aboutflotus1 has a spectacular aura about
Non-academic for me. They have price lists publicly available on their website. "Hawk" is probably the type of node you would want to use for CFD, the nodes are 2x64 core Epyc Rome CPUs with 256GB or memory.
https://www.hlrs.de/solutions-servic...-requirements/
flotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 23, 2022, 21:46
Default
  #5
Member
 
Guillaume Jolly
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 9
trampoCFD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to trampoCFD
Hi Duke, what software do you use? I run a supercomputing service for STAR-CCM+. Upload/download is automated, no script is needed. The models run through a batch job manager but we have a PRE/POST processing facility in Beta if required. You can run 20,000 cores+ if your models scale.
trampoCFD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 24, 2022, 05:42
Default
  #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 7
Duke711 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampoCFD View Post
Hi Duke, what software do you use? I run a supercomputing service for STAR-CCM+. Upload/download is automated, no script is needed. The models run through a batch job manager but we have a PRE/POST processing facility in Beta if required. You can run 20,000 cores+ if your models scale.



Fluent, is your service only for CCM?
Duke711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 25, 2022, 01:35
Default
  #7
Member
 
Guillaume Jolly
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 9
trampoCFD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to trampoCFD
Sorry, we only do Star-CMM+ :-(
trampoCFD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 28, 2022, 04:52
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
schmichi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotus1 View Post
Non-academic for me. They have price lists publicly available on their website. "Hawk" is probably the type of node you would want to use for CFD, the nodes are 2x64 core Epyc Rome CPUs with 256GB or memory.
https://www.hlrs.de/solutions-servic...-requirements/

Hi flotus1,


currently I'm looking for options to run some private OpenFOAM projects on.
These are

1) Building an own CFD workstation is rather unrealistic for the short term.
Did some research on hardware based on your sticky thread here in the forum and no currently available option seems reasonable for all my needs (not only CFD, if I build a new computer it should also be able to run games at a proper performance from time to time)

2) Using cloud resources.
There are several options available and HLRS at a first glance seems interesting. Actually I know the facility, but did not know that also private persons/small businesses can get on this one.
May I ask a few questions on your experience with HLRS:
- How is your overall experience as a (I assume) 'small' user?
- Aren't the available nodes on Hawk an overkill? 2*64 cores Epyc CPUs, as you will end up with 8 cores per memory channel.
According to the price list you pay in node hours (allocated node * allocated time) and not CPU hours, hence the price to performance ratio is less efficient as it could be.

Even though I'm a somewhat experienced CFD user, I'm rather new to the hardware side for CFD. So I might very well have missed something.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers
schmichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 28, 2022, 12:08
Default
  #9
Super Moderator
 
flotus1's Avatar
 
Alex
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,167
Rep Power: 43
flotus1 has a spectacular aura aboutflotus1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
1) Building an own CFD workstation is rather unrealistic for the short term.
Did some research on hardware based on your sticky thread here in the forum and no currently available option seems reasonable for all my needs (not only CFD, if I build a new computer it should also be able to run games at a proper performance from time to time)
A "one size fits all" solution for your requirements is definitely tricky. But not impossible, depending your budget, skills (i.e. building the thing yourself) and more defined requirements. You can game on server-type CPUs, just not with ridiculously high frame rates while CPU-limited. And you can run CFD on desktop CPUs, but with limits to absolute performance and memory size. It's a tradeoff.
I would accept the challenge if you want to flesh out your requirements a bit in a separate thread.

Quote:
- How is your overall experience as a (I assume) 'small' user?
Definitely a small or rather infrequent user. It's been fine so far. The documentation is decent, and staff responds quickly to any questions/problems we had. They had a lot of downtime lately, which didn't affect me fortunately. Something you can probably avoid by choosing one of the hyperscalers like AWS instead.
But apart from that, I felt right at home. But be aware that you need to set aside some time in order to familiarize yourself with general operation, and getting everything set up. Especially if this is your first time using a cluster.

Quote:
- Aren't the available nodes on Hawk an overkill? 2*64 cores Epyc CPUs, as you will end up with 8 cores per memory channel.
According to the price list you pay in node hours (allocated node * allocated time) and not CPU hours, hence the price to performance ratio is less efficient as it could be.
We need to differentiate between buying the hardware yourself, and renting it.
For a workstation you buy, the high core count CPUs aren't the most cost-efficient, even for free software like OpenFOAM. But when buying in bulk, and running them in a datacenter, list pricees for hardware don't matter to the same extent. I.e. they could not make the node-hours much cheaper if they had used 32-core variants of these CPUs.
Also, you still get a small benefit thanks to the larger L3 caches of the 64-core CPUs, even if scaling stops after 32-48 cores per CPU.

But let's not get lost too much in the details, because you raise a valid point:
It can be cheaper overall to run your simulations on older and cheaper nodes. You will have to do a quick benchmark yourself, and factor in the cost for each node type. I didn't bother looking into it myself, because the cost for rented computing resources is a relatively small item on our invoice.
flotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 30, 2022, 17:44
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
schmichi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotus1 View Post
A "one size fits all" solution for your requirements is definitely tricky. But not impossible, depending your budget, skills (i.e. building the thing yourself) and more defined requirements. You can game on server-type CPUs, just not with ridiculously high frame rates while CPU-limited. And you can run CFD on desktop CPUs, but with limits to absolute performance and memory size. It's a tradeoff.
I would accept the challenge if you want to flesh out your requirements a bit in a separate thread.
It's indeed a bit tricky. Some options come to mind though and I might come back to you in a different thread as you kindly suggested.


But overall this is also, why I'm considering cloud usage. In combination with a proper but not over the top desktop workstation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotus1 View Post
Definitely a small or rather infrequent user. It's been fine so far. The documentation is decent, and staff responds quickly to any questions/problems we had. They had a lot of downtime lately, which didn't affect me fortunately. Something you can probably avoid by choosing one of the hyperscalers like AWS instead.
But apart from that, I felt right at home. But be aware that you need to set aside some time in order to familiarize yourself with general operation, and getting everything set up. Especially if this is your first time using a cluster.
Fortunately it's not the first time for me using a cluster. I'm using one on a daily basis in my job. It's all properly set up there though, but general operation and getting everything set up should work rather quickly.
Regarding usage rate, I'd definetly see myself also on the infrequent side. Feeling 'right at home' is most probably a plus for such kind of smaller/infrequent use cases compared to the hyperscalers.

But of course also price and other topics like accessability matters. E.g. I tried to find some pricing for companies like AWS, Google Cloud, etc. to compare also with HLRS and maybe other options, but unfortunately I quickly got lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotus1 View Post
We need to differentiate between buying the hardware yourself, and renting it.
For a workstation you buy, the high core count CPUs aren't the most cost-efficient, even for free software like OpenFOAM. But when buying in bulk, and running them in a datacenter, list pricees for hardware don't matter to the same extent. I.e. they could not make the node-hours much cheaper if they had used 32-core variants of these CPUs.
Also, you still get a small benefit thanks to the larger L3 caches of the 64-core CPUs, even if scaling stops after 32-48 cores per CPU.

But let's not get lost too much in the details, because you raise a valid point:
It can be cheaper overall to run your simulations on older and cheaper nodes. You will have to do a quick benchmark yourself, and factor in the cost for each node type. I didn't bother looking into it myself, because the cost for rented computing resources is a relatively small item on our invoice.
Thanks for your detailed explanation here, makes sense.
In case of HLRS there are almost no cheaper options available then the HAWK, despite some Haswell nodes.
But it could make sense to check, when opting for other options like AWS.
schmichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 27, 2022, 06:39
Default
  #11
New Member
 
Iago Fernandez
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 4
Gompute is on a distinguished road
For Fluent, and any other CFD you can try Gompute. Some advantages:
- ANSYS Preferred Cloud hosting partner
- Bare metal nodes, for CAE applications only with remote visualization included.
- Fluent (and many other apps) are pre-integrated, and tested.
- There are different business models to fit your needs
- Free test

Just drop us an email at info@gompute.com and we will guide you through the testing process, or check our site: https://www.gompute.com/project/ansys/

Regards
Gompute is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to do parallel computing on cloud computing platform? yuezehua SU2 0 February 22, 2020 12:02
Free cloud computing EL OMARI Achraf Hardware 0 October 18, 2018 14:37
3-9,000 hrs CPU - Cloud Computing - Non-Premixed Combustion - Need Suggestions physicscafe Main CFD Forum 10 April 6, 2018 18:20
Cloud Computing CFD sriram9127 STAR-CCM+ 4 March 1, 2017 03:45
OpenFOAM cloud computing on Rescale with custom libraries LukaD OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 5 September 11, 2015 10:38


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:23.