CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > General Forums > Main CFD Forum

significance of energy conservation laws

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   November 10, 2015, 18:55
Default significance of energy conservation laws
  #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 15
Hooman is on a distinguished road
Am I correct in saying that: in some cases the energy equations is part of the governing equations of the flow (for example in the Euler equation or for an incompressible flow where temperature is important). Other cases, (for example, laminar isothermal incompressible flow) can be described without the energy equation.

Does the second category, suffer from numerical instability because the energy equation is not being solved as part of the predictive process? In other words, energy may not have been conserved?


Thank you.
Hooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 10, 2015, 19:25
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,737
Rep Power: 71
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooman View Post
Am I correct in saying that: in some cases the energy equations is part of the governing equations of the flow (for example in the Euler equation or for an incompressible flow where temperature is important). Other cases, (for example, laminar isothermal incompressible flow) can be described without the energy equation.

Does the second category, suffer from numerical instability because the energy equation is not being solved as part of the predictive process? In other words, energy may not have been conserved?


Thank you.

But the only energy form that obeys a conservation law is the total energy...other form of energies have a source term taking into account the conversion of a form into others
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 10, 2015, 19:46
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 15
Hooman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But the only energy form that obeys a conservation law is the total energy...other form of energies have a source term taking into account the conversion of a form into others
Can you please be more clear? I don't understand your comment.
Hooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 11, 2015, 06:04
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,737
Rep Power: 71
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooman View Post
Can you please be more clear? I don't understand your comment.

I mean that if you consider for example the kinetic energy equation, it is in conservative form only for the theoretical inviscid flow case....In general viscous cases, the source term is responsible of the transfer of kinetic energy in internal energy. Ony summing all the form of energies the sources term disappear.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
energy balance, numerical methods, stability

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transient energy conservation dvcauwe OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 1 April 24, 2014 14:48
How to call the subroutine to compute two temperature energy conservation equations? wangweizong Phoenics 1 March 21, 2012 10:27
ATTENTION! Reliability problems in CFX 5.7 Joseph CFX 14 April 20, 2010 16:45
Maths problem when deriving conservation of energy equations. Demonwolf Main CFD Forum 1 June 15, 2009 15:21
Energy Conservation Schemes! Science Seeker Main CFD Forum 0 May 21, 2001 04:31


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:05.