CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

I am new to Cfd. Please help to develop a MATLAB for this problem

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By mprinkey
  • 1 Post By FMDenaro
  • 1 Post By mprinkey
  • 1 Post By FMDenaro
  • 3 Post By Alex C.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 23, 2016, 05:37
Default I am new to Cfd. Please help to develop a MATLAB for this problem
  #1
New Member
 
Priyanka
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 3
Priyanka Konakandla is on a distinguished road
A thin plate is initially at a uniform temperature of 200C. At a certain time t = 0 the
temperature of the east side of the plate is suddenly reduced to 0C. The other surface is
insulated. Use the explicit finite volume method in conjunction with a suitable time step size to
calculate the transient temperature distribution of the slab and compare it with the analytical
solution at time (i) t = 40 s, (ii) t = 80 s and (iii) t = 120 s. Comparison should be shown in a
graphical plot as well as in a tabular form showing the percentage error with the analytical
solution.
Recalculate the numerical solution using a time step size equal to the limit given by the stability
criteria (possibly 8 second or higher) for t = 40 s and compare the results with the analytical
solution.
Solve the problem using the both Crank-Nicholson scheme and fully implicit
scheme and compare the results with analytical results at (i) t = 40 s, (ii) t = 80 s and (iii)
t = 120 s.
With a time step of 8 s, compare the results of all these three schemes (explicit,
implicit and Crank-Nicholson) at time t = 40 s.
The data are: plate thickness L = 2 cm, thermal conductivity k = 10 W/m/K and C =
10x106 J/m3
/K.
Priyanka Konakandla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 23, 2016, 09:28
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Michael Prinkey
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 287
Rep Power: 15
mprinkey will become famous soon enough
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=matlab+crank+nicholson

Is there a policy here about cutting and pasting homework problems? I honestly don't mind helping students with particular problems or questions, but these type of posts really annoy me. I am never going to be inclined to help someone who has clearly made zero initial effort. I suspect that most knowledgeable people here feel similarly.

So, are these reportable? If not, should they be?
mprinkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 23, 2016, 11:42
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,700
Rep Power: 33
FMDenaro will become famous soon enoughFMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprinkey View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=matlab+crank+nicholson

Is there a policy here about cutting and pasting homework problems? I honestly don't mind helping students with particular problems or questions, but these type of posts really annoy me. I am never going to be inclined to help someone who has clearly made zero initial effort. I suspect that most knowledgeable people here feel similarly.

So, are these reportable? If not, should they be?

I agree.... perhaps someone could argue that a sub-section for homework requests could be an idea, too...
j_02 likes this.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2016, 07:08
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Arjun
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nurenberg, Germany
Posts: 505
Rep Power: 13
arjun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprinkey View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=matlab+crank+nicholson

Is there a policy here about cutting and pasting homework problems? I honestly don't mind helping students with particular problems or questions, but these type of posts really annoy me. I am never going to be inclined to help someone who has clearly made zero initial effort. I suspect that most knowledgeable people here feel similarly.

So, are these reportable? If not, should they be?

Actually this is why i completely stopped visiting cfd online. I was contacted by many people about their masters or phds work and often found myself doing their thesis work. Like meshing and running simulations etc.

I stopped replying emails etc which asked for homework.

Asking on forum is some what forgivable because anyone can answer but still many times it shows that person did not do proper search or put proper effort.
arjun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2016, 07:14
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Priyanka
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 3
Priyanka Konakandla is on a distinguished road
I am an undergraduate. How can you say that i put zero effect. I tried it.I also tried googe if it could help me out. I know that i am at zero level but everything starts from there. Help me if you can. If you are too busy then you can ignore the post. There is no compulsion that you have to answer every question posted. Thank you.
Priyanka Konakandla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2016, 07:42
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Michael Prinkey
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 287
Rep Power: 15
mprinkey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyanka Konakandla View Post
I am an undergraduate. How can you say that i put zero effect. I tried it.I also tried googe if it could help me out. I know that i am at zero level but everything starts from there. Help me if you can. If you are too busy then you can ignore the post. There is no compulsion that you have to answer every question posted. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyanka Konakandla
I am an undergraduate. How can you say that i put zero effect. I tried it.I also tried googe if it could help me out. I know that i am at zero level but everything starts from there. Help me if you can. If you are too busy then you can ignore the post. There is no compulsion that you have to answer every question posted. Thank you. Your post is offensive
You cut and pasted the problem description from your instructor. You asked the forum to do your homework for you. This is not how you learn. If you had asked, "What is the difference between fully implicit and Crank Nicholson?" or "I've implemented this matlab code but it doesn't work...what am I doing wrong?" I and others would likely have helped you.

But you didn't. You took TWO problems exactly as issued by your instructor and posted them on a forum filled with highly competent CFD researchers and practitioners and asked them to think for you. If I were your instructor and saw your post, I would give you zero credit for whatever assignment you turned in.
FMDenaro likes this.
mprinkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2016, 07:55
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,700
Rep Power: 33
FMDenaro will become famous soon enoughFMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyanka Konakandla View Post
A thin plate is initially at a uniform temperature of 200C. At a certain time t = 0 the
temperature of the east side of the plate is suddenly reduced to 0C. The other surface is
insulated. Use the explicit finite volume method in conjunction with a suitable time step size to
calculate the transient temperature distribution of the slab and compare it with the analytical
solution at time (i) t = 40 s, (ii) t = 80 s and (iii) t = 120 s. Comparison should be shown in a
graphical plot as well as in a tabular form showing the percentage error with the analytical
solution.
Recalculate the numerical solution using a time step size equal to the limit given by the stability
criteria (possibly 8 second or higher) for t = 40 s and compare the results with the analytical
solution.
Solve the problem using the both Crank-Nicholson scheme and fully implicit
scheme and compare the results with analytical results at (i) t = 40 s, (ii) t = 80 s and (iii)
t = 120 s.
With a time step of 8 s, compare the results of all these three schemes (explicit,
implicit and Crank-Nicholson) at time t = 40 s.
The data are: plate thickness L = 2 cm, thermal conductivity k = 10 W/m/K and C =
10x106 J/m3
/K.

this is just a homework ....
mprinkey likes this.
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2016, 09:02
Default
  #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 49
Rep Power: 5
Alex C. is on a distinguished road
I found this presentation by googling your statement. Slide 13 is an exact match. What you ask is basically plagiarism.
mprinkey, tas38 and FMDenaro like this.
Alex C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem regarding producing streamlines from surfaces in Ansys CFD post gauthamnarayan Visualization & Post-Processing 0 April 23, 2015 16:07
CFD Online Celebrates 20 Years Online jola Site News & Announcements 22 January 31, 2015 01:30
CFD Problem Apoorv FLUENT 0 February 13, 2008 16:12
CFD - Trends and Perspectives Jonas Larsson Main CFD Forum 16 August 7, 1998 16:27
salary range Frank Muldoon Main CFD Forum 7 August 3, 1998 19:04


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:31.